An open fire.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Love an open fire. They always make me chilled. My first memory of one is when I was a kid before I went to school. My mam was breastfeeding my kid sister and I was staring out of the window watching

My missus. Minus 23, north of the Arctic circle; Thats when you really appreciate a good fire !

My problem in life is if I earn 500 a day I would only work one day a week, I,m a man of low ambition unfortunately, a day in the woods can save me a couple of hundred quid cutting logs but also saves

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Born Hunter said:

The chimney is desperate for sweeping and I was scared of burning my house down two weeks after buying it! Haha

Probably telling my Nan how to suck eggs, but if your chimney does go up it’s not a big deal just dip a towel in water and hold it over the fire place, the towel will starve the air and the water in it will create steam which will starve the fire of oxygen and put it straight out, what ever you do don’t call the fire brigade, they will stick a hose down the chimney and simply destroy your house with water, or alternatively go down screwfix and get some brush,s I do mine every 6 months because I burn lots of rubbish in it ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Probably telling my Nan how to suck eggs, but if your chimney does go up it’s not a big deal just dip a towel in water and hold it over the fire place, the towel will starve the air and the water in it will create steam which will starve the fire of oxygen and put it straight out, what ever you do don’t call the fire brigade, they will stick a hose down the chimney and simply destroy your house with water, or alternatively go down screwfix and get some brush,s I do mine every 6 months because I burn lots of rubbish in it ?

Yeah I’ve found our old rods from years ago. So gonna get it done this week. Didn’t know about the damp cloth trick though.

Edited by Born Hunter
1 minute ago, Born Hunter said:

Yeah I’ve found our old rods from years ago. So gonna get it done this week. Didn’t know about the damp cloth trick though.

Can’t believe I’m telling you this and it’s probably completely wrong, ? I was told this by a fireman so took his word for it without cross checking but he said steam is an inert gas, and a column of steam in your chimney will suffocate a fire pretty instantly, I done quite a few when I had an open fire and it seemed to work fine, you will probably end up fitting a small wood stove just because of how hungry an open fire is, plus you can get a fan ??

Love an open fire or Logburner as long as they are in keeping with the house that they're in.Pal of mine has built a huge fireplace out of old yellow stocks with a big oak mantle in a house that was built in the 50's.Another mate has had a big ornate log burner fitted in a house thats less than 10years old with a big stainless flue that goes out through the wall and right up the outside of the house.Both are really nice things but neither look like they belong there.

3 hours ago, Greyman said:

It’s a thermal thing that creates a tiny electric current by sandwiching different metals with different heat retaining property,s  or some such simular electrically, there is a lot of debate about if they really work or are a placebo, I have three and really rate them, especially if you can keep them going for a few days ?

ABC4A116-F8F2-4594-BC1F-A0886854056A.jpeg

F5EFAD00-F9BA-4866-BFC4-C6AA96034BE8.jpeg

Weird wonderful things I think mate.

Done away with my open fire 2 year ago. This thing chucks far more heat and burns a lot less fuel. Same place as Flattop got his from Dean Forge and the Concrete wood effect bean.

P1210993.jpeg.22ec7d9e16dffc2c331706195b184134.jpeg

Cheers Arry

• Like 8

Decent woods the way I've burnt some serious shit over the yrs,just fuks up the flue.seasoned Ash  is great.burns hot,slow and really heats a room.i have a large metal  back plate around rear of burner to deflect heat.too hot sometimes 

23 hours ago, downsouth said:

Love an open fire or Logburner as long as they are in keeping with the house that they're in.Pal of mine has built a huge fireplace out of old yellow stocks with a big oak mantle in a house that was built in the 50's.Another mate has had a big ornate log burner fitted in a house thats less than 10years old with a big stainless flue that goes out through the wall and right up the outside of the house.Both are really nice things but neither look like they belong there.

Sounds like my ol woman ive come home with a bit of taxidermy a few times and instantly been told " thats not going anywhere in this house " ....same with an open fire id love one but the mere mention of it gets " this is a modern home im not having it turned into a medieval museum ".....i really should put my foot down but just cant be bolloxed anymore i prefer the garden anyway ?

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, gnasher16 said:

Sounds like my ol woman ive come home with a bit of taxidermy a few times and instantly been told " thats not going anywhere in this house " ....same with an open fire id love one but the mere mention of it gets " this is a modern home im not having it turned into a medieval museum ".....i really should put my foot down but just cant be bolloxed anymore i prefer the garden anyway ?

Yep my ex old woman was exactly the same.I had a chocolate coloured stuffed badgers mask.I think her exact words were"l dont mind your bookcase and a few photos of your favourite dogs but you can f**k right off if you think your hanging that creepy looking thing up in this house"

• Like 1