1 hour ago, Alsone said:

I'm guessing the guns under wraps until you've finished the stock and fettling. I'm kind of hoping you went for one of these as I think they are superb - less than 6lbs with a heavy barrel and a lovely laminated stock: https://en.browning.eu/t-bolt-target-varmint-stainless.shtml

However, I suspect CZ or Anshutz...

Cz. I do like Browning products right up to their triggers on their rifles made after 1990! Their lever actions except the BLR are ok to work on but other than that....

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll take the calibre that's as lethal as some of the keyboards on here! 

I'm going to have a go. See what  all the fuss is over! Fed up with the 22 anyway. I'm going.....are you sitting down..... Go for a 17 hmr! Now you have a short time to talk m

How did you measure the 154yds, by pacing it out? Did you have your shoe laces tied together? ? 

Posted Images

Fairweather test day in zee wind!

I managed to shoot with the wind but fear the odd swirl upset a bullet or two.

Here is the target.

IMG_20200619_125956044.jpg.9f2e263021955a7ed2d4fd72019776f1.jpg

First off the shooting position was the cars interior. Using the adjusted passenger seat and steering wheel I fashioned a stable bench rest arrangement.

Starting lower center target moving clockwise the old Remington v max were poor. Nearly every case split on firing audible difference could be heard shot to shot.

The Remington accutips were looking awesome then a sqib spoilt it, it's case was split badly!

The Winchester 17g weren't to bad, useable I guess.

The Winchester 20g bullet looks fantastic but shot poor. That was disappointing but not as much as the two misfires that after three attempts each would not go!

The hornady 17g is fantastic. Good accuracy, remember it's windy today and also noted was the power compared to the others! These heat the barrel up a treat and no split empties.

The hornady 20g was another disappointment. Although better than the Winchester 20g. Maybe I need to retest at another time.

The vintage hornady 17g shot as good as the newer stuff although there is a zero change!

Rifle wise, nice trigger. Looks to have one of those kits fitted. The barrel is off the stock now too.

What ya think?

Looking at the target the Remington accu tip looks very good,  I’m surprised all that old stock is still knocking about with the split necks I suffered a few, I went threw all my stock found about 30 out of a couple of hundred all my ammo is new now and it looks like they have got to grips with it still doesn’t stop me looking though. 

The trigger kit is these guys I’ve got one on mine big difference from standard which I think is a 4 pound pull 

https://www.rimfiremagic.co.uk/cz-trigger-kit-for-cz452-455-rimfire-rifles/

1 hour ago, BenBhoy said:

Shame 1 of the rem accuTip spoilt it as they clearly grouping nicely. 

You sticking with Horn 17g Vmax then mate?

Think so Ben when I've wasted the rest....to be honest though I've just walked to a concrete chunk I put in a bank about the size of a fox. I can shoot at it for hundreds of yards if I wish.

I shot five of each at it at something like 150+ and every one was in the centre off sticks and in this wind!

• Like 2
58 minutes ago, FLATTOP said:

Looking at the target the Remington accu tip looks very good,  I’m surprised all that old stock is still knocking about with the split necks I suffered a few, I went threw all my stock found about 30 out of a couple of hundred all my ammo is new now and it looks like they have got to grips with it still doesn’t stop me looking though. 

The trigger kit is these guys I’ve got one on mine big difference from standard which I think is a 4 pound pull 

https://www.rimfiremagic.co.uk/cz-trigger-kit-for-cz452-455-rimfire-rifles/

I've had split necks after shooting today from old and new Remington ammo. Also the Winchester ammo.

The good group from the Remington ammo was spoilt by an obvious blooper. I heard the difference and that is the low shot in that group.

I just pulled the two did Winchester's I had today and there was powder and primer present!

2 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

I've had split necks after shooting today from old and new Remington ammo. Also the Winchester ammo.

The good group from the Remington ammo was spoilt by an obvious blooper. I heard the difference and that is the low shot in that group.

I just pulled the two did Winchester's I had today and there was powder and primer present!

For such a popular rifle you think the least they can do is get the ammo right, you can definitely tell the difference as soon as I hear it bolt out looking up the tube I recently cleaned the moderator and the noise changed so I got all paranoid thinking it was dodgy ammo fortunately it wasn’t.

I use accu tip myself and find them very accurate I think if you give them another go you will be surprised how good they are they seem suited to that particular gun.

D527F13B-5DC2-4399-B417-F70F37B785F3.jpeg.1c89b3edbc553a39cb1655d99c838ff8.jpeg 

Next time I stock up on rounds I will buy a box of those Horn 17g Vmax I’d be interested to see if they need Re zeroing to what I’ve got it set up for. 

Edited by FLATTOP
  • Like 2

A few years ago I bought a job lot of .22 and .17 ammo off a copper that had sold his rifles, the .17 was hornady and Remington, I checked all of it and out of 250 rounds in the Remington at least 180 had split necks, I’m glad what I gave him for it all wouldn’t of bought me the .22 ammo

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, Stavross said:

A few years ago I bought a job lot of .22 and .17 ammo off a copper that had sold his rifles, the .17 was hornady and Remington, I checked all of it and out of 250 rounds in the Remington at least 180 had split necks, I’m glad what I gave him for it all wouldn’t of bought me the .22 ammo

I have a full box of split necks in my cabinet I have found over the years. Worth checking them before. Had one squib round that stuck in the barrel. Luckily i knew it didn't sound right and checked before cycling another. Great little round imo providing ammo is up to standard 

On 18/06/2020 at 10:09, Sausagedog said:

Cz. I do like Browning products right up to their triggers on their rifles made after 1990! Their lever actions except the BLR are ok to work on but other than that....

Did someone mention shiney gold t-bolt trigger mmmmm my precious ?

• Haha 1