• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll take the calibre that's as lethal as some of the keyboards on here! 

I'm going to have a go. See what  all the fuss is over! Fed up with the 22 anyway. I'm going.....are you sitting down..... Go for a 17 hmr! Now you have a short time to talk m

How did you measure the 154yds, by pacing it out? Did you have your shoe laces tied together? ? 

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

Anyone had any fox failures with proper side on rib shots?

The 17g V-Max does the business in the heart through the ribs, or the chest or the head.

A long time back I gave the 20g FMJ (it has a tiny hollow point) a try, shot a fox side on (it was only about 30-35 yards I seem to recall), it ran off for the best part of 100 yards before it dropped, fortunately a big open grassy field.  The shot went clean through like a spear with no expansion that I could see, must have hit soft tissue all the way through.    That was the end of that ammo in the field, the 17g V-Max works for me.

:thumbs:

• Like 4
6 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

Anyone had any fox failures with proper side on rib shots?

I’ve had one side on that ran never to be seen again, I put it down to bad shot placement, I must of been to far back

I only ever use .17gn in mine now, if it’s for fox or rabbits, they get the same treatment, I’ve came for a walk around the sheep farm now and brought it with me, just took this chap at 154 yards, he didn’t know I was there or what hit him ?

14BCF4CC-14AC-4C21-BEC6-FFDF5AA6FD0B.jpeg

557B8A56-65A7-4114-80C2-A80E19ACAA7C.jpeg

• Like 4

I went out this evening for a bit of a zero in at 100 yards I managed to group in the bull, but I wasn’t happy until I actually shot something I waited a while and 3 very skittish rabbits made an appearance until one settled and the little 17 turned its head inside out.

I must be going soft I put my crosshairs on X2 Cubs but didn’t take the shots I thought the vixen must be around some where and sure enough she was laying in some long grass  I managed the crosshairs on her as well but didn’t shoot I stood up squeaked at her and she stood there barking at me before she buggered off, was a good evening.

F9B085B4-229D-41D7-BBBC-9C9A60CBAF4B.jpeg.79a73d30ba686dda3a00c144db664377.jpeg

• Like 4
1 minute ago, FLATTOP said:

I went out this evening for a bit of a zero in at 100 yards I managed to group in the bull, but I wasn’t happy until I actually shot something I waited a while and 3 very skittish rabbits made an appearance until one settled and the little 17 turned its head inside out.

I must be going soft I put my crosshairs on X2 Cubs but didn’t take the shots I thought the vixen must be around some where and sure enough she was laying in some long grass  I managed the crosshairs on her as well but didn’t shoot I stood up squeaked at her and she stood there barking at me before she buggered off, was a good evening.

F9B085B4-229D-41D7-BBBC-9C9A60CBAF4B.jpeg.79a73d30ba686dda3a00c144db664377.jpeg

Was that rested?

5 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

Was that rested?

That was on my Harris bipod the big one 13” 27” the rabbit I shot straight after was about 70yds I should have took a pic but it was a bit over the top. 

• Like 1

Looks like we've all been out tonight?Out with the T1X 17 HMR on the farm tonight. The farmer wanted the rabbits gone around scrap heap. Longest shot 134 yrds, shortest 80. Using the hornady Vmax 17grn. Unfortunately had to take a few scrappers as he mentioned them. 

IMG_20200609_212643.jpg

Edited by Longshanx
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, Stavross said:

I’ve had one side on that ran never to be seen again, I put it down to bad shot placement, I must of been to far back

I only ever use .17gn in mine now, if it’s for fox or rabbits, they get the same treatment, I’ve came for a walk around the sheep farm now and brought it with me, just took this chap at 154 yards, he didn’t know I was there or what hit him ?

14BCF4CC-14AC-4C21-BEC6-FFDF5AA6FD0B.jpeg

557B8A56-65A7-4114-80C2-A80E19ACAA7C.jpeg

How did you measure the 154yds, by pacing it out?

Did you have your shoe laces tied together? ? 

• Haha 7
4 hours ago, ianm said:

No, I heard stav don't need his laces tied together to walk like that but I don't believe it ?

Edited by Sausagedog
  • Haha 5
21 hours ago, ianm said:

You may mock, but the don’t call me stav yard stride for nothing ? ( maybe should of said 154 paces ? )

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
On 07/06/2020 at 23:29, philpot said:

Its an itch that needs scratching perhaps SD ?

Phil

So is VD but it doesn't mean you should go and catch it because you need something to scratch. ?

On 08/06/2020 at 10:13, Sausagedog said:

It's not which mate but the cal. It's just not enough and I'm just wasting money on ammo to plink where as on a nice day if I can sneak up on a crow 150 yards away I may do a little better.

I always said I would keep the wmr over any 22lr etc.

Subbies are like a wet phart and HV for all the noise is little better, if I'm going to make a crack then let's make it effective!

TBH at the longer ranges the noise is is going to diminish anyway. 

Must admit, never saw the day when SD would buy a .17. Welcome to the mousetrap you big cheese..... and look on the bright side, it's cheaper than running a Cat, it doesn't sh*t on the carpet and saves on the vet bills.

• Haha 1

The HMR has obvious haters and obvious lovers.

I don't deny that I am in the plus camp, it is a tool that has its uses and works for me in the right circumstances, just like every calibre I have.

It is not for everyone, and just like SD I have a WMR which I also rate highly, I additionally find areas where the HMR excels for me!

:thumbs:

• Like 5