dew claws on or off ?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Interesting subject. I remember two well respected, old school lurcher men having diametrically opposed views on dew claws. Paul Sagar said the dew claw was attached to a tendon and removing

Made me laugh when you mentioned boots. That film man about dog came into mind told   (BOOTS ) 

Off

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Penda said:

Deffo an old pic the bloke holding the dog on the lead is rocking a pair of brashers they look like the hillmasters to me I've bought a few pair in my time loved those boots sorry that was off subject but it just caught my eye?

You can still get the boots they're made by berghaus now

Remember the fella in the outdoor shop advising against them for ten to two footed tea and biscuits, pie and chips 15 stone plus plebbers on account of the softer rubber compound soles circa 1994 ish, vibram soles on modern ones might last a bit longer though

5 minutes ago, low plains drifter said:

Remember the fella in the outdoor shop advising against them for ten to two footed tea and biscuits, pie and chips 15 stone plus plebbers on account of the softer rubber compound soles circa 1994 ish, vibram soles on modern ones might last a bit longer though

?

32 minutes ago, low plains drifter said:

Air8s were 60 quid i think in my day go into millets as a kid get the bloke to bring the size out you wanted put them on then as for the next size then get the feck out the shop while his back was turned ? then hillmasters were the best 1s cost about 100 quid goretex wicked boots I've saw the berghaus 1s they just don't do it for me ?

1 hour ago, Penda said:

Air8s were 60 quid i think in my day go into millets as a kid get the bloke to bring the size out you wanted put them on then as for the next size then get the feck out the shop while his back was turned ? then hillmasters were the best 1s cost about 100 quid goretex wicked boots I've saw the berghaus 1s they just don't do it for me ?

Heathen ?

Personal preference?

I've ran dogs threw out their entire careers with them both on and off without much difference.

If left on they can always be taped up if they become sore same as stoppers.

• Like 1
On 19/05/2020 at 20:21, bird said:

What people view on the above?  I've got one of each, old Bryn still got his, Buck had his removed. Now not saying Bryn. Had probs all the while, but he deff had couple rips on them. Had to rest him up till there healed, I did at one time tape them up when. Lamping him, to stop them getting ripped, was OK but, I said my next lurcher will have them off, so I did Buck had his off at 2 days old, never any leg probs, so I will do the same when I have another lurcher pup. But reading on a American vet report, they say to leave them on,?  So what do you lot think on here? 

Had dogs with them on and off. Only really had problems the once, dog ran fine until he was 3 then started pulling up and practically looked to be a jacker. Effected his ability to jump at times also. Had them off the dog never looked back again. (Busters)

Off is the best I think but it wouldn't stop me from buying a well bred pup with them on. 

On every time here I keep em cut short from a pup and I run fast grass a lot only ever had one pull a dew claw in forty years and they turn tighter with them on I honestly think  plus they are handy if hanging onto something bigger ?

Each to their own I've heard the argument many times it's a personal opinion id say and one that doesn't make that much difference in reality ?

• Like 1
On 19/05/2020 at 21:58, Daniel cain said:

Off on a runner... Always on with the terriers.... ? 

I hate to see a lurcher suffer because the owner failed to remove them,i was never to bothered with the terriers but ive had a few problems with the dew claws on the terriers,now they are off.