Back up at the shoot

4 minutes ago, Dervburner said:

Yerr, get that .22 on the squirrels Stav, still loads about around here. I’m going to have a good bash at them as soon as the game season has finished. 

It’s crazy how many there is this year, I normally shoot a few every time I’m up feeding but you wouldn’t think I’d shot one, I’ll hopefully organise a squizzer day early February, see if we can help the song birds a bit?

• Like 1

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, Stavross said:

It’s crazy how many there is this year, I normally shoot a few every time I’m up feeding but you wouldn’t think I’d shot one, I’ll hopefully organise a squizzer day early February, see if we can help the song birds a bit?

Brilliant, some of my favourite sport. You’ll have a good day I’m sure?

• Like 1

Had four drives on a small shoot today. Ended up with a modest bag of 27 head. Fifteen pheasant, nine mallard and three teal. Lovely day to be out was enjoyed by all involved, had a good craic with the lads. Picture has come out sideways for some reason? Apologies....

E62975D0-62CB-4D21-B1B7-469852C1F4A9.jpeg

• Like 5

I popped out to feed the new baiting point and returning I noticed some bright eyes in the sheep and the sheep were moving,  they weren't when I arrived! Sure enough this vixen keeps on coming towards me totally ignoring the yellow lamp.

100yds I stops it and shoot. Interestingly it makes 100yds but is still alive! I moved in and ends it.

The first bullet hit perfectly but there is little sign of expansion!

I'm wondering if this batch of ammo is somewhat tougher than the last!

Anyway, I thought a new visitor had arrived. I could hear the others barking in the distance. 

Result!

20220103_220506.jpg.d86471420d54ab4ec52c84f13df7dfa5.jpg

• Like 8

Up feeding this morning and it was a lovely clear frosty morning, looking out to the east over Helmsley and beyond you could see for miles, looking out to the west towards Richmond it was white, we are forecast some snow on the high ground this week, so we’ll see what comes of that. The birds are still in the drives I would expect them to be in this time of year and are still eating well, only shot 2 squizzers today but seen a good dozen as I bombed around on the quad 

B804AD74-BE54-4FF2-8F9A-959FD35B1E7D.png

8C3D2414-CE89-4B8B-AE28-6D6685AE59B4.jpeg

9F1B3734-F5FE-48A9-852A-90D9623561DD.jpeg

• Like 7

I had a load of rabbit heads etc and a roe chest cavity after shooting last week so decided to bait up my local spot which has had great results over the years until the fox numbers dried up and the farmers dogs kept nicking my bait. With it being freezing and snow on the ground I might get a fox visiting. After baiting up I headed out the back of the farm and set up the caller. Before I even started calling I spotted a fox in the next field so played vixen mating call which had no response so switched to the hare call and immediately the fox started coming in from around 300 yards away nice and steady. It did a big arc to catch the wind and ended up around 70 yds  from me and would soon catch my wind so with an obligatory OI stopped him and he was now lying in the snow.....

Hoping now that another finds my bait ........

1st fox 2022.JPG

• Like 7