Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Sausagedog said:

Thanks.   I'm going to go white again just to see. I was looking about last night and thought what with all the cars, security lights, distant light sources etcetera, maybe they won't think nothing of it.

And yes, I even contemplated NV again but that was because I was tired and upset.

Before everyone switched to nv and thermal a keeper I know would only ever use white for that very reason, I always struggled spotting with anything other than red, someone else I used to go out with used to use green ( don’t know why) and I couldn’t see anything with that

19 minutes ago, Stavross said:

Before everyone switched to nv and thermal a keeper I know would only ever use white for that very reason, I always struggled spotting with anything other than red, someone else I used to go out with used to use green ( don’t know why) and I couldn’t see anything with that

led-catalogue_d2429058-cd41-462b-a90d-6441cbcc7462.png

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Stavross said:

Red is definitely the best for picking up eye shine , green and blue are sh*t. I used to spot with red and shoot with white no problem but since buying the Night Saber in red I now spot with red and shoot with red, never seen a lamp shy fox for years now as they are usually shot 1st time seen. I also think that as everybody now uses thermal and nv , except me , they dont get lamp shy anymore ???

• Like 2

think the green and red is a thing.. that's why they make them fibre sights for shotgun red or green!

I use a green bead and green lamp when I lamped, never had a problem picking up eye shine on rats/ rabbits or fox. 

my shotgun mate has used a white/ standard lamp for ever.. I can't see sh1t when hes ranting hes on one,

that's why we normally go in opposite directions when were out. 

the reticle stands out way better for me with green lamp and all night scopes I use have yellow of green set as ret colour.

1 hour ago, Sausagedog said:

Not tried any other than borrow a 007. To much fiddle.

It dosnt matter. I can't get them all.

I'll check the rifle later. Rethink the baiting area.

have you bought about splash shots sd?!

I nearly smashed that .204 up when I got it due to runners with the 40grn v-max

I switched to 32grn home loads and the problems almost gone away, I say almost as I still get the occasional runner and I think wtf.. the shot was good. 

ive been with mates who've seen me hit stuff and its not dropped.. 

ive had a slot for hmr for years and its never been filled even though I get offers them cheap all the time, my mate had one for a while years back and I had a good play with it, it was accurate enough.. mint groups at 100yard but the tv I was shooting at hadn't even had a screen pass through with bout 20 shots on same place. 

the .223 welded the holes back up, the 6.5 left a tidy hole and the hmr just left a shattered patch. 

not a hmr slag off just not for me, I know there a handy tool to have but!!!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, si brown said:

have you bought about splash shots sd?!

I nearly smashed that .204 up when I got it due to runners with the 40grn v-max

I switched to 32grn home loads and the problems almost gone away, I say almost as I still get the occasional runner and I think wtf.. the shot was good. 

ive been with mates who've seen me hit stuff and its not dropped.. 

ive had a slot for hmr for years and its never been filled even though I get offers them cheap all the time, my mate had one for a while years back and I had a good play with it, it was accurate enough.. mint groups at 100yard but the tv I was shooting at hadn't even had a screen pass through with bout 20 shots on same place. 

the .223 welded the holes back up, the 6.5 left a tidy hole and the hmr just left a shattered patch. 

not a hmr slag off just not for me, I know there a handy tool to have but!!!

Very valid points. I did wonder. In fact I have had some with little expansion also!

It was the worst position for an hmr. Its left shoulder closest to me!

I need to return sand have another look but now its raining ?.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Red is definitely the best for picking up eye shine , green and blue are sh*t. I used to spot with red and shoot with white no problem but since buying the Night Saber in red I now spot with red and shoot with red, never seen a lamp shy fox for years now as they are usually shot 1st time seen. I also think that as everybody now uses thermal and nv , except me , they dont get lamp shy anymore ???

I know the owner of nightmaster and used to do a bit of testing for him with different coloured led pills and other stuff. The worst i ever tried was green, i couldn't see anything with it at all. Red is good and of course white. Unfortunately i get a lot of lamp shy foxes here. Whether they have run the gauntlet of shooters with lamps or dog lads with lamps before they make it to the areas i shoot i don't know. What i do know is that i will never again waste my time with a lamp. Too many times i have waited hours for a fox only for it to turn up and run off as soon as the light is switched on. It is a real ball ache when it happens and it happens a lot here, hence why i tend to get tucked up somewhere and wait with n/v. 

• Like 3
32 minutes ago, ianm said:

I know the owner of nightmaster and used to do a bit of testing for him with different coloured led pills and other stuff. The worst i ever tried was green, i couldn't see anything with it at all. Red is good and of course white. Unfortunately i get a lot of lamp shy foxes here. Whether they have run the gauntlet of shooters with lamps or dog lads with lamps before they make it to the areas i shoot i don't know. What i do know is that i will never again waste my time with a lamp. Too many times i have waited hours for a fox only for it to turn up and run off as soon as the light is switched on. It is a real ball ache when it happens and it happens a lot here, hence why i tend to get tucked up somewhere and wait with n/v. 

I know what you are saying ,if you get a LOT of  lamp shy foxes = dog lads. In my 30 years experience of lamping foxes I can honestly say that most foxes that get within range get shot , yes a few get missed but not a great deal in my experience. Lamp shy foxes in numbers is not caused by riflemen but being run by dogs. If I had your problem with lamp shy foxes I too would have Nv but it's not a problem for me , lamp still works fine. Saying that cant wait to look through the C50 my mate has just bought?

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

I know what you are saying ,if you get a LOT of  lamp shy foxes = dog lads. In my 30 years experience of lamping foxes I can honestly say that most foxes that get within range get shot , yes a few get missed but not a great deal in my experience. Lamp shy foxes in numbers is not caused by riflemen but being run by dogs. If I had your problem with lamp shy foxes I too would have Nv but it's not a problem for me , lamp still works fine. Saying that cant wait to look through the C50 my mate has just bought?

think im gonna have to test drive one of these C50's

I know the last digex were an ir nightmare but by the sounds of it it is now sorted, I like the pard 008 but mines got a few issues after a couple of years of being abused ? and they dont return to zero when swapped between guns with the crappy mount where as the thermal "same unit different internals" is on the money with good QR mounts.

prefer the image of proper ir nv over thermal 

3 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

The swine, or another turned up an hour later after I left.PTDC0042.JPG.1e42896129ea0370c9176b263ea95d59.JPG

time for a nightshift sd ?

ive just had a walk out with the dog on the moor farm, not been up there for a while as its like a swamp this time of year!

there are fox prints all over the farmyard, the fields are full of runs and the dog found a liking for rolling ?

hes just had his first swim, I was gonna wait for him to give water a go in his own time but I wasn't letting the smelly little fecker in the truck like that so threw him in a pond. 

• Haha 5