Back up at the shoot

I was very late to NV, I’d used it a few times but always used to like been out with my mate Mosh with the lamp, when he had his heart attack it changed how I did things and who I went out with, after you have done things a certain way for so long with one person you don’t even need to speak to each other and it never works as well with someone new, I’ve got used to the NV on the .223 now and it works very well if I’m out on my own or with someone else, that’s not to say I don’t enjoy a run out with the lamp

Thermal is a complete game changer as a spotter, nothing escapes it and even if you don’t know what it is it gives you something to look at that you wouldn’t of seen with the lamp or NV

• Like 1

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Stavross said:

I was very late to NV, I’d used it a few times but always used to like been out with my mate Mosh with the lamp, when he had his heart attack it changed how I did things and who I went out with, after you have done things a certain way for so long with one person you don’t even need to speak to each other and it never works as well with someone new, I’ve got used to the NV on the .223 now and it works very well if I’m out on my own or with someone else, that’s not to say I don’t enjoy a run out with the lamp

Thermal is a complete game changer as a spotter, nothing escapes it and even if you don’t know what it is it gives you something to look at that you wouldn’t of seen with the lamp or NV

To expensive for me mate.

• Like 1

I only bought the thermal spotter as it was cheapish... ive had it bout two years and there still selling for £300 more than what I paid for it now:)

the scope was a luxury that I really shouldn't have bought, it puts stuff away that id not find half the time but there far to expensive and I bought the cheapy model

• Like 1

It's good kit but too expensive,  I am just a recreational fox shooter . Saying that my fox population is well under control and that's just lamping , dont think I would get any more using thermal and nv. I had 31 this year but normally averaged around 50 but dont go out as much as I did and dont have as much permission as I had. Hopefully get a few off  my mates new permission but he will be using the new C50 as farmer has requested this. I've said it before but I just love seeing the ruby eyes coming in to a call , that's the buzz for me , shooting them with nv doesnt give me that buzz...

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

It's good kit but too expensive,  I am just a recreational fox shooter . Saying that my fox population is well under control and that's just lamping , dont think I would get any more using thermal and nv. I had 31 this year but normally averaged around 50 but dont go out as much as I did and dont have as much permission as I had. Hopefully get a few off  my mates new permission but he will be using the new C50 as farmer has requested this. I've said it before but I just love seeing the ruby eyes coming in to a call , that's the buzz for me , shooting them with nv doesnt give me that buzz...

just been speaking to a keeper I go out with and I was saying where are they all coming from..

ive not kept a record of last year but between me and him its a hell of a lot, I dont think we could wipe them out even if that was the goal. 

was talking to the farmer on the moor and he said he put a pig on the heap two days ago and its been stripped already ?

I fully get where your coming from with the lamp though as I enjoy it still even though I dont use it that often any more.. think a lot of that's to do with breaking my scope bracket and all the other fittings ive got are sh1te:(

21 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

There’s nothing better than doing it with a lamp and a mouth caller, ( or just your lips and hand ) I know a lot of people who have only used NV and thermal, they are not proper fox shooters to me, it’s great when you just go out to see what you can find, on a couple of places like the sheep farm and the shoot NV and thermal has made my life a lot easier, where I’m expected to do a job ?

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Stavross said:

There’s nothing better than doing it with a lamp and a mouth caller, ( or just your lips and hand ) I know a lot of people who have only used NV and thermal, they are not proper fox shooters to me, 

In the good old days I used to call every fox in with my hand , got rather adept at it . It always amazes me that every one else I have been.out foxing with over the years was fascinated by it as they couldn't do it.

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

In the good old days I used to call every fox in with my hand , got rather adept at it . It always amazes me that every one else I have been.out foxing with over the years was fascinated by it as they couldn't do it.

I was never very good just using my hand, my mate Mosh is really good at it, In the summer I used to use a thick blade of grass between my thumbs, that worked well, sounded like a hare death call

32 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

The one I called in last night was by hand. Always do it that way. Well, maybe on a windy night I'll use them rubberband type mouth callers.

One of my old favourites was a mirror and polystyrene!

I seemed to have hit a rich vein of rabbits got another three this afternoon but there were more about, last couple of weeks I’ve been having a result every time I go out.

I’ve never owned ferrets they don’t like me lol but this bit of ground I’m doing at the moment would be ideal.

@Sausagedog I’ve noticed the longer the shot the less expansion sometimes I have to have a good look to see where the round penetrated.

As they were mentioned in a previous post I’ve got the Nightmaster the big XL one what scope clamp do people use, as the the head of the torch seems to sit right on the end of my scope ideally I could do with a bit more height and a slight tilt to shoot down the beam.

96DCBAD5-792F-4BBE-B15C-F0076E6F2E02.jpeg.0888f218e71066fa7f809b728ca2b0b7.jpegBBB148EC-F7B9-465B-B56A-40D08091F8D7.jpeg.537649aa4cd17b5b0449174809c90db5.jpegEE00219F-4335-4BC9-8726-4AD642DD7D7E.jpeg.87504957f105572e7b29c7fe4a1d2809.jpeg

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, FLATTOP said:

I seemed to have hit a rich vein of rabbits got another three this afternoon but there were more about, last couple of weeks I’ve been having a result every time I go out.

I’ve never owned ferrets they don’t like me lol but this bit of ground I’m doing at the moment would be ideal.

@Sausagedog I’ve noticed the longer the shot the less expansion sometimes I have to have a good look to see where the round penetrated.

As they were mentioned in a previous post I’ve got the Nightmaster the big XL one what scope clamp do people use, as the the head of the torch seems to sit right on the end of my scope ideally I could do with a bit more height and a slight tilt to shoot down the beam.

96DCBAD5-792F-4BBE-B15C-F0076E6F2E02.jpeg.0888f218e71066fa7f809b728ca2b0b7.jpegBBB148EC-F7B9-465B-B56A-40D08091F8D7.jpeg.537649aa4cd17b5b0449174809c90db5.jpegEE00219F-4335-4BC9-8726-4AD642DD7D7E.jpeg.87504957f105572e7b29c7fe4a1d2809.jpeg

If I use a torch on a scope I use a nightmaster 800 with the big head, the nightmaster mount is to low so I use a bigger one that you can get off eBay, I also mount it on the side of the scope not on the top

BB6EB02C-84F1-4B45-9771-8F03F597951C.jpeg

CD78C91F-CD0B-4FEE-8509-CBA26519F72A.jpeg

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Stavross said:

If I use a torch on a scope I use a nightmaster 800 with the big head, the nightmaster mount is to low so I use a bigger one that you can get off eBay, I also mount it on the side of the scope not on the top

BB6EB02C-84F1-4B45-9771-8F03F597951C.jpeg

CD78C91F-CD0B-4FEE-8509-CBA26519F72A.jpeg

That looks ideal Stav I’ve got the same lamp I noticed a pic ages ago you put up with it mounted on the side and thought that seems a better idea I will have a look on the bay for that cheers ?