Back up at the shoot

47 minutes ago, Stavross said:

Feeding this morning in preparation for Saturday, I took the thermal with me as I wanted to see what was about to put a bit of a plan together with the shoot captain as we are fast approaching the end of the season so we need to make the best of what we have left, I have got 2 drives that still have a lot of birds in for this time of year and they are Gordon’s pen and the piggeries ( tree side ) and another 2 that are not to bad, forestry pen and piggeries ( ruff side ) so if we do theses 4 and add in a couple of small ruff patches we could potentially have a good day, this time in the season if we do a 30 bird day I’ll be happy, there’s definitely enough birds to do this but we’ll see if the shooting ability is up to the job on Saturday, there’s a lot of deer traffic in and around the piggeries but I didn’t see any today, with a bit of luck over the coming weeks me and the deer magnet (FH) will get a couple of days on them, hopefully a couple of calm, sunny days ??

A7990403-2EBE-48E0-B3F0-7706AFFC42A4.jpeg

B76F7E55-0192-4C92-831E-F6577C64BA85.jpeg

59FDE85A-84A3-4F47-A609-66787FD39505.jpeg

Hope you have a good one Stav, nice pictures too??

• Like 1

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

38 minutes ago, Dervburner said:

Hope you have a good one Stav, nice pictures too??

It was lovely up there today, clear blue sky and a little bit of heat in the sun, I keep checking the weather for Saturday hoping for a good day, I don’t know why because it will be what it will be and we’ll be there whatever the weather 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

I noticed today the squirrels are pairing up. The ones I saw were in pairs!

20220113_151604.jpg.05c24e664f4c314a4236210d4515c064.jpg

I saw some greys of another kind pairing up today. Perdix. Pretty early, but from the racket they making I'd say the pair wanted last years youngsters to give them some space! 

20220113_102008.jpg

• Like 6
13 minutes ago, Dervburner said:

I don’t see many English (perdix) these days, but it’s always good to see them when I do?

We're lucky - we had a wild pair on farm. I've taken it upon myself to help them. Combo of foxing, running 3 larsens in spring, not mowing right to hedge & cutting later and supplementary feeding. Doing count last autumn and we now have regular 6 birds with extras appearing during winter. Every little helps! 

• Like 7
2 hours ago, BenBhoy said:

I saw some greys of another kind pairing up today. Perdix. Pretty early, but from the racket they making I'd say the pair wanted last years youngsters to give them some space! 

20220113_102008.jpg

Grey partridge always start pairing up in  January , I'm lucky one of my farms has about 5 covies on it at present where I've hammered the foxes and corvids but it's a never ending battle with the corvids.

• Like 1