Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

34 minutes ago, Stavross said:

Did you do that all by yourself?

I bloody did! You know I'm not the cook in this house but just followed recipe (apart from swapping apple juice for cider!) dead easy. And it all got scoffed so must have been alright! Good ol' Mary berry! 

20220116_183834.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Up to feed this morning as they have decided they want to shoot on Saturday, to be honest I didn’t want to, I wanted to leave it until the 29th giving me a bit more time to bring a few more back into the feed areas, there wasn’t a lot about but it’s up to them, it will be just two small days to finish the season off, there’s still a fair few woodcock about and if they manage 15/20 bird day they will of done ok, there will definitely be a few more about by Saturday but some of the members seem to think they’ll still be getting 50/60 bird days into January, there’s a fox over the piggeries doing a great job at the minute clearing up any birds not found, I’ll let them carry on over lambing before I put the effort in up there to keep on top of the numbers ?

6D3564AF-D98A-458D-9648-27BA5B5CB285.jpeg

7CE372D0-C3F6-4AD8-8D7D-AD991CE1486D.jpeg

• Like 6
14 minutes ago, Stavross said:

Up to feed this morning as they have decided they want to shoot on Saturday, to be honest I didn’t want to, I wanted to leave it until the 29th giving me a bit more time to bring a few more back into the feed areas, there wasn’t a lot about but it’s up to them, it will be just two small days to finish the season off, there’s still a fair few woodcock about and if they manage 15/20 bird day they will of done ok, there will definitely be a few more about by Saturday but some of the members seem to think they’ll still be getting 50/60 bird days into January, there’s a fox over the piggeries doing a great job at the minute clearing up any birds not found, I’ll let them carry on over lambing before I put the effort in up there to keep on top of the numbers ?

6D3564AF-D98A-458D-9648-27BA5B5CB285.jpeg

7CE372D0-C3F6-4AD8-8D7D-AD991CE1486D.jpeg

A fox on your watch! Disgusting!!

?

• Haha 4
2 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

Can't get them all anyway Stav.

I like to see them up there in late spring/ early summer when the cubs are with them, although I like to watch them on a warm light evening, what I really mean is I like to know where they are, now I’ve said I’ll keeper it again next season I’ll put some proper effort in this year 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
44 minutes ago, Stavross said:

I like to see them up there in late spring/ early summer when the cubs are with them, although I like to watch them on a warm light evening, what I really mean is I like to know where they are, now I’ve said I’ll keeper it again next season I’ll put some proper effort in this year 

Lol, all I remember when I was on a big shoot is that if I told the keeper I had had a lovely evening watching a vixen bringing sitting hens to her cubs I would of been royally kicked up my arse!

Mind you, I was impressed once whilst waiting for a vixen to return to the cubs, in she came with a rabbit and a hen pheasant in her mouth at once! She had job to keep her back feet on the ground!

• Haha 3

A few years back I had been watching some cubs over a couple of days and waiting for the vixen to come back to deal with her first, when she did she arrived with 2 hen pheasants in her mouth, it couldn’t see where it was going and had no idea I was about 60 yards away, the .17 did the job perfectly 

• Like 5