Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

A trip to the sheep farm tonight and a very frustrating night it was, it’s bad enough when you don’t see any foxes, but when you see 3 and can’t get a shot at any of them it’s enough to drive you mad, first one winded us straight away, second one wasn’t interested in the call and disappeared through a hedge towards the stables next door and the third sat in next doors field ( almost exactly where I shot a roe buck with FH ) we were a good way from it but it showed an interest in a hare distress call and started to make its way towards us, it stopped just up from the gutter and I could of taken the shot, but as it seemed keen I thought I’d let it cross to our side, big mistake, the bugger disappeared, then reappeared about 700 yards down still on the same side, a night to forget ?

Edited by Stavross
5 hours ago, Stavross said:

A trip to the sheep farm tonight and a very frustrating night it was, it’s bad enough when you don’t see any foxes, but when you see 3 and can’t get a shot at any of them it’s enough to drive you mad, first one winded us straight away, second one wasn’t interested in the call and disappeared through a hedge towards the stables next door and the third sat in next doors field ( almost exactly where I shot a roe buck with FH ) we were a good way from it but it showed an interest in a hare distress call and started to make its way towards us, it stopped just up from the gutter and I could of taken the shot, but as it seemed keen I thought I’d let it cross to our side, big mistake, the bugger disappeared, then reappeared about 700 yards down still on the same side, a night to forget ?

Just put that one down as a reconnaissance mission. At least you didn’t miss one and educate it . Just keep going , they will slip up . 

• Like 1

1st  September means ?? so I was off out at 4.30am and set up by 5am in the grey drizzle this morning full of anticipation as there are a few geese in the area ?  As dawn was breaking a pack of 5 mallard came in to the goose decoys,  I shot at the lead bird and 2 dropped ? a couple of more came and I bagged another 2 , so 4 mallard in the bag and then the geese started to move. A pair came in and I got a right and left then a few skeins came in and I added a few more to the bag. Well pleased with the 1st day of the season , I also lit up a fox in the headlights as I drove in to the farm and had 4 roe come into the stubble I was shooting during a lull.

20210901_073729.jpg

• Like 4
3 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

1st  September means ?? so I was off out at 4.30am and set up by 5am in the grey drizzle this morning full of anticipation as there are a few geese in the area ?  As dawn was breaking a pack of 5 mallard came in to the goose decoys,  I shot at the lead bird and 2 dropped ? a couple of more came and I bagged another 2 , so 4 mallard in the bag and then the geese started to move. A pair came in and I got a right and left then a few skeins came in and I added a few more to the bag. Well pleased with the 1st day of the season , I also lit up a fox in the headlights as I drove in to the farm and had 4 roe come into the stubble I was shooting during a lull.

20210901_073729.jpg

Beautie that mate, you can send the quackers this way if you want ? you can keep them flying cow though ?

Up to feed again today and my usual route ( Sutton Bank ) was shut, so a 15 minutes detour was needed, a bit of an inconvenience but a lovely drive through stunning North Yorkshire villages like coxwold, wass and bylands ( I almost feel guilty driving a car through places like this, it’s like going back in time )with it’s amazing 12th century Bylands Abby, I love stuff like that and it blows my mind how these folk built such amazing buildings with their bare hands 

once I arrived at the shoot I went to the yard where the old girl was picking brambles, telling me she’s sorry but I wasn’t getting any because she was off to the WI tonight and she was taking them with her, ?she did give me a bag of runner beans and said there will be brambles for me on Sunday. Loading the bike up I headed to the pens, they really are taking some food now, with most of the hat feeders empty in less than 48 hours, I filled the little poultry drinkers and could just about get them on the ground before the birds had their heads in them, it just goes to show how important a good supply of water is for them. After I was finished with the pens I headed over the far side of the shoot where I’ve put a bit of feed out ( after next doors birds, naughty me ?) I know it’s only the first of September but a few of the leaves are on the turn already, I found a few empty beer cans on one of the rides, why do some people think it’s ok to behave like they would back in their scruffy rented house on their sh*t hole estate they’ve come from ?

8BF1EA7B-88EF-471C-98C5-11628AB195A8.jpeg

928B68A3-A89C-46BE-8677-C0D6E59B3091.jpeg

EC9462AB-DB5D-4277-92CB-7F92041C9F75.jpeg

BEE72337-9377-432C-A903-DD9FFDA31084.jpeg

C8A8ABE7-708F-4A45-81D4-D7478C8614BF.jpeg

• Like 2
4 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

20210901_073729.jpg

What a perfect way to start September off. Good going mate ? 

16 hours ago, Stavross said:

Up to feed again today and my usual route ( Sutton Bank ) was shut, so a 15 minutes detour was needed, a bit of an inconvenience but a lovely drive through stunning North Yorkshire villages like coxwold, wass and bylands ( I almost feel guilty driving a car through places like this, it’s like going back in time )with it’s amazing 12th century Bylands Abby, I love stuff like that and it blows my mind how these folk built such amazing buildings with their bare hands 

once I arrived at the shoot I went to the yard where the old girl was picking brambles, telling me she’s sorry but I wasn’t getting any because she was off to the WI tonight and she was taking them with her, ?she did give me a bag of runner beans and said there will be brambles for me on Sunday. Loading the bike up I headed to the pens, they really are taking some food now, with most of the hat feeders empty in less than 48 hours, I filled the little poultry drinkers and could just about get them on the ground before the birds had their heads in them, it just goes to show how important a good supply of water is for them. After I was finished with the pens I headed over the far side of the shoot where I’ve put a bit of feed out ( after next doors birds, naughty me ?) I know it’s only the first of September but a few of the leaves are on the turn already, I found a few empty beer cans on one of the rides, why do some people think it’s ok to behave like they would back in their scruffy rented house on their sh*t hole estate they’ve come from ?

8BF1EA7B-88EF-471C-98C5-11628AB195A8.jpeg

928B68A3-A89C-46BE-8677-C0D6E59B3091.jpeg

EC9462AB-DB5D-4277-92CB-7F92041C9F75.jpeg

BEE72337-9377-432C-A903-DD9FFDA31084.jpeg

C8A8ABE7-708F-4A45-81D4-D7478C8614BF.jpeg

Sorry about that Stavross, I’ll pick my cans up next time . I consider myself reprimanded ??

Edited by shovel leaner
  • Haha 1
56 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

Sorry about that Stavross, I’ll pick my cans up next time . I consider myself reprimanded ??

I thought better of you, you old soak ?

It drives me nuts the amount of rubbish I find around the place, I can’t see why they just can’t take it home with them, the biggest thing that annoys me is dog sh*t in a bag, Your in the countryside you tw*t, there’s sh*t everywhere, just let your pointless little handbag dog sh*t in the woods instead of putting it in a plastic bag and hanging off a tree ?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Stavross said:

I thought better of you, you old soak ?

It drives me nuts the amount of rubbish I find around the place, I can’t see why they just can’t take it home with them, the biggest thing that annoys me is dog sh*t in a bag, Your in the countryside you tw*t, there’s sh*t everywhere, just let your pointless little handbag dog sh*t in the woods instead of putting it in a plastic bag and hanging off a tree ?

Tell me about it ? The dog shit thing drives me insane . But the latest annoying thing is baby wipes , or wet wipes.  There is someone around here who can’t go for a walk without having a dump , and  then wipes there arse with these wet wipes , and leaves them there . Traditional toilet paper would break down , but these things don’t , and I’ve got to drive past shit stained wet wipes all day . It’s f@cking disgusting ?. FairPlay, I can understand, I’ve had to have a “ wild one “ now and again, it’s part and parcel of working  in the countryside, but use bog roll  and either hide it under leaves or take it home , not these wet wipes . End of sermon , I feel better now I’ve got that off my chest . 

• Haha 1