Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

18 hours ago, Stavross said:

Up to feed again today and my usual route ( Sutton Bank ) was shut, so a 15 minutes detour was needed, a bit of an inconvenience but a lovely drive through stunning North Yorkshire villages like coxwold, wass and bylands ( I almost feel guilty driving a car through places like this, it’s like going back in time )with it’s amazing 12th century Bylands Abby, I love stuff like that and it blows my mind how these folk built such amazing buildings with their bare hands 

once I arrived at the shoot I went to the yard where the old girl was picking brambles, telling me she’s sorry but I wasn’t getting any because she was off to the WI tonight and she was taking them with her, ?she did give me a bag of runner beans and said there will be brambles for me on Sunday. Loading the bike up I headed to the pens, they really are taking some food now, with most of the hat feeders empty in less than 48 hours, I filled the little poultry drinkers and could just about get them on the ground before the birds had their heads in them, it just goes to show how important a good supply of water is for them. After I was finished with the pens I headed over the far side of the shoot where I’ve put a bit of feed out ( after next doors birds, naughty me ?) I know it’s only the first of September but a few of the leaves are on the turn already, I found a few empty beer cans on one of the rides, why do some people think it’s ok to behave like they would back in their scruffy rented house on their sh*t hole estate they’ve come from ?

8BF1EA7B-88EF-471C-98C5-11628AB195A8.jpeg

928B68A3-A89C-46BE-8677-C0D6E59B3091.jpeg

EC9462AB-DB5D-4277-92CB-7F92041C9F75.jpeg

BEE72337-9377-432C-A903-DD9FFDA31084.jpeg

C8A8ABE7-708F-4A45-81D4-D7478C8614BF.jpeg

I drove through this area last week I was staying in Masham and wanted to visit Pickering to visit the North Yorkshire Railway I went up Sutton Bank bloody steep or what lol but what an area to work and hunt in your a very lucky man Stav the heather was just starting to show as well which added to the nice drive through the moors.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Baldcoot said:

Yep had that phone call have you had a dump and left bog roll strewn about. 

Funnily enough  no I haven't have a word with the born again dog walking rambling tewatts that leave your gates open.??

That’s another moan . We have combination locks on all the gates now , because they just kept getting left open . Not only that , since lockdown the estate has had to put up new gates to keep the public from driving in and parking up and wandering wherever they feel like going. It now adds extra time onto my journey every day . I bet that if I added up all the time I spend getting in and out of vehicles to open and shut gates , that aren’t necessary to keep stock in , but only there to keep nuisance dog walkers and sightseers out , it would be shocking. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, FLATTOP said:

I drove through this area last week I was staying in Masham and wanted to visit Pickering to visit the North Yorkshire Railway I went up Sutton Bank bloody steep or what lol but what an area to work and hunt in your a very lucky man Stav the heather was just starting to show as well which added to the nice drive through the moors.

Lovely place Masham, I hope you indulged in a couple of pints of the black sheep ? you will of past by my shoot heading to the Malton to Pickering road, I’m 5 minutes from Helmsley which you would of probably gone through unless your sat nav took you past the entrance to my shoot ?

5 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

I bet that if I added up all the time I spend getting in and out of vehicles to open and shut gates , that aren’t necessary to keep stock in , but only there to keep nuisance dog walkers and sightseers out , it would be shocking. 

And then add on the amount of time you spend moaning.... ? ⏳⏳⏳

• Haha 4
2 hours ago, Stavross said:

Lovely place Masham, I hope you indulged in a couple of pints of the black sheep ? you will of past by my shoot heading to the Malton to Pickering road, I’m 5 minutes from Helmsley which you would of probably gone through unless your sat nav took you past the entrance to my shoot ?

Many Pints were drunk that’s why I stayed there ? my Mrs didn’t have a clue it was home to 2 of my favourite breweries she soon found out ?.

I went through Helmsley lovely place, the South has nothing on it ok we get reasonably good weather down here but I would trade that in a heartbeat for what you have up there.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, FLATTOP said:

Many Pints were drunk that’s why I stayed there ? my Mrs didn’t have a clue it was home to 2 of my favourite breweries she soon found out ?.

I went through Helmsley lovely place, the South has nothing on it ok we get reasonably good weather down here but

I would trade that in a heartbeat for what you have up there.

What rickets and pyorrea??

• Haha 5

Just a couple of hours at my mates place tonight on the lookout for foxes, I took longshanx with me to have a look for a deer as we wandered around in the hour before dark, we did bump one deer but the wind was all wrong and off it went, it was a good way off and did look like a doe through the bino’s, once we lost the light we had a call along the wood but no foxes showed, which was surprising as there’s normally a few kicking about once the crop comes down along the wood, so we called it a night, not before taking 2 hares off the front field, that I’m asked to do because of the problems they have with dog lads pulling up at the gate to see if there’s anything in the front fields, on the fields further down that can’t be seen from the road we must of seen 20+ hares and we only went on about a 1/3 of the farm, they seem to be doing very well around these parts now and it’s nice to see 

8F18BFFB-3414-4517-980F-99EF314B3092.jpeg

• Like 3

Had a chat with a woman who lives  in one of the houses on the estate. She keeps free ranging chickens and ducks , so she is always keen to discuss fox sightings with me . The information I get from her is always reliable, if she says there is a fox about …… there is a fox about.

She said that she had seen a fox about in broad daylight yesterday, eyeing up her chickens. I assured her I would be out tonight and have a look . I set the icotec out in the middle of the field behind her house and sat on her garden chair with the rifle and bipod on the garden table . She brought me out a glass of homemade elderflower cordial to sip on and very agreeable it was too . I started off with rabbit distress and waited in the half light , but nothing showed. An owl swooped and a badger passed by , but no fox . I turned the caller to pheasant distress , my logic was that Charlie had an interest in chickens and this sounds a bit like a chicken…… having a bad time . It was maybe another 20 minutes before Charlie showed up , and he wasn’t hanging around, this guy meant business , no skulking around making its mind up , it wanted that distressed pheasant and came right up to the caller which was sat on top of an ant hill . It stopped as it realised something was very wrong with the plastic speaker. Now I always try to place my bullets in the heart if I can or rib cage just behind the front leg . I’m not one for head shots . But I had a feeling this guy was going to bolt , and because there were a lot of long bits of grass in the field I went for a front on head shot , and I knew I’d found my mark by the sound , more a crack than the usual hollow thud . I went to collect it and it was a dog fox in very good condition. The woman came out to thank me and gave me a bottle of the elderflower cordial, which I must say I really liked . 

D94AAFD8-A9DA-4148-8AB7-C24343A3368A.jpeg

Edited by shovel leaner
  • Like 8