Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Stavross said:

I’m the same, game bird shooting doesn’t interest me at all, I might have a go now and then on one of the good drives, or if I haven’t got a guest on that day, I mainly give my shoot days away, sometimes for other shooting ( foxes, deer, rabbits) in different places and sometimes just because I’m a bloody nice chap ?

So nothing to do with the fact you couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo then!?

• Haha 3
4 minutes ago, ianm said:

So nothing to do with the fact you couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo then!?

It’s got nowt to do with my ability with a shotgun ( or lack of) and everything to do with me being a fantastic human and a all round good egg ?

• Haha 4
4 hours ago, Stavross said:

It’s got nowt to do with my ability with a shotgun ( or lack of) and everything to do with me being a fantastic human and a all round good egg ?

Not sure it works like that, cos I'm a miserable, heartless cunť but I'm still shiť with shotgun!! 

• Haha 2

Everything down at the shoot now and with the birds in it’s time to put a bit of effort in on the gingers, first off we started over the piggeries within 15 minutes we had one trotting in towards the rabbit death call, stopping broad side at around 75 yards, another new vixen a good bit smaller than the one on Wednesday night, giving it another 20 minutes we seen one more moving along the caravan park fence, with no chance of a shot we moved on to the bottom of the field at the back of the farm. As soon as we got there I spotted 4 deer through the thermal, looking through the NV there was 2 fallow does, a fallow prickett ( well a little further on than a prickett) and a stunning fallow buck, this is a new one to me that I’ve never seen up here before and with a bit of luck it’s taken up residence in the oak wood drive, after 40 minutes ish of calling and not seeing any foxes we called it a night and I’ll have another go over the weekend 

FA81E9F2-3B03-408D-A59F-02317264F429.jpeg

• Like 6
2 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

A solid effort Stavross. Good to see you are getting on top of things . The new high tech    approach is definitely paying off . You will be calling them in from the east and west riding with that speaker .??

It’s the Tarzan of fox callers ?

• Haha 1

Feeding time at the pheasant zoo again, this good weather is making a big difference, they are quiet and happy, taking feed and enjoying the sunshine, with the pens being dry they are able to dust themselves and really do look better for it, as the birds are a little older than when they normally go in they have no problem hopping the wire, this isn’t a big problem as they are roosting in and around the pen as they know where they live now, the pens are starting to stink a bit but as they are dry I’ll just keep an eye on them 

I can’t think of anywhere else I’d rather be on a day like this ?

4EEFF90C-27FC-4078-8974-6CE829976320.jpeg

A741D2D3-0C11-41D4-9FB7-D04A12EEB3F9.jpeg

A4804503-35E5-40E0-9FBA-8B79F6ED7E10.jpeg

9CA203D9-9B35-47A4-994F-1F5E50DCAC00.jpeg

• Like 5