Back up at the shoot

No SL 

I’ve been out 3 times and saw 6 Cubs on two different perms but no safe shot was presented, and I’m still waiting for the wheat to come off , and with all this rain I don’t know when that will happen 

I wouldn’t mind if I could get on the stubble and get a few pigeons/ crows 

ive a load of fallow to take care of , trouble is they come out of the wood into the wheat fields and I can’t get the truck to them until the crops off , and I’m not doing a 100 yard retrieve dragged at my age , they will keep till it’s off 

atb 

• Like 2

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

2 hours ago, David.evans said:

No SL 

I’ve been out 3 times and saw 6 Cubs on two different perms but no safe shot was presented, and I’m still waiting for the wheat to come off , and with all this rain I don’t know when that will happen 

I wouldn’t mind if I could get on the stubble and get a few pigeons/ crows 

ive a load of fallow to take care of , trouble is they come out of the wood into the wheat fields and I can’t get the truck to them until the crops off , and I’m not doing a 100 yard retrieve dragged at my age , they will keep till it’s off 

atb 

I think this week-10 days is forecast fine . I’m sure the combines will be with you soon . 
I know what you mean about retrieving fallow . I’ve even got a winch and two planks to get them into the mule , because there is no way I’m giving myself a hernia getting them on . ?

4 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

That track is screaming for a wire ??

D31FFB80-3E1D-44D3-BC62-1DA96D6BEBC1.jpeg

That’s something I’ve never done up here, just because I can’t check them every day, I’ve stopped using the cage traps for the same reason and I’m sick of finding pigs in them, them buggers can wreck a trap, me and my mate Mosh used to hammer the sheep farm with snares and got a lot of foxes, we only stopped because of what I would call an accident with the farm next door and his wife’s favourite ginger cat ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, Stavross said:

That’s something I’ve never done up here, just because I can’t check them every day, I’ve stopped using the cage traps for the same reason and I’m sick of finding pigs in them, them buggers can wreck a trap, me and my mate Mosh used to hammer the sheep farm with snares and got a lot of foxes, we only stopped because of what I would call an accident with the farm next door and his wife’s favourite ginger cat ?

I would much rather kill foxes by shooting them than snares. Strangling predators is bad form old chap.?

Although i have used them in certain situations i must admit.

I had a fox job in town a couple of years ago. The fox had attacked and tried to kill a yorkie terrier in daylight on the peoples back lawn. The first vets bill was fifteen hundred and i don't know how much the subsequent ones where.  All the houses down this particular road are huge with a back garden that is only about 25yds long but it then drops off into a very steep wood. All the properties own a section of this wood which is about 150yds long for each property. The wood then meets up with a field at the bottom that belongs the council and is very over grown. Anyhow although bait was going every night and i had it on a trail cam there was nowhere for a shot really and it came at random times. I set three snares in the wood and caught it after the third day. It was a vixen but the trail cam picked up various Roe passing through this wood including a real nice Buck. 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, ianm said:

would much rather kill foxes by shooting them than snares. Strangling predators is bad form old chap.?

I maybe should of stated my snaring days were a good while  ago and the ones on the sheep farm we didn’t snare we ran the dogs on them on the lamp ? simpler times, rabbits, hares, foxes, deer, none of them shot, but a change in the law put a stop to most of it, it’s sad that a lot of youngsters will not see or learn some of these skills that protected stock and fed people, when I talk about this kind of stuff with people it’s like it was in the Victorian times, but it wasn’t that long ago that it was the norm ?

• Like 2

I just want rid of foxes on the shoot . I employ just about every “ legal “ method , terriers, snares , fox drives , and shooting. To me the beauty of snaring is , a snare is working while I’m in bed . Also I make my own snares , and get a kick out of using a bit of field craft . 

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Stavross said:

I maybe should of stated my snaring days were a good while  ago and the ones on the sheep farm we didn’t snare we ran the dogs on them on the lamp ? simpler times, rabbits, hares, foxes, deer, none of them shot, but a change in the law put a stop to most of it, it’s sad that a lot of youngsters will not see or learn some of these skills that protected stock and fed people, when I talk about this kind of stuff with people it’s like it was in the Victorian times, but it wasn’t that long ago that it was the norm ?

I miss lamping with a dog. I will NEVER forget what Blair and new labour did.?

• Like 4

I used to love it, I’d be out 3 or 4 times a week, my mate Mosh was one of the first people in the country to be convicted under the hunting act, no jail, but he got a big fine ( can’t remember how much) they confiscated his car, he had a load of restrictions on where he could be and had to tell them what car he was driving, all for something that should never of been past into law 

11 minutes ago, Stavross said:

I used to love it, I’d be out 3 or 4 times a week, my mate Mosh was one of the first people in the country to be convicted under the hunting act, no jail, but he got a big fine ( can’t remember how much) they confiscated his car, he had a load of restrictions on where he could be and had to tell them what car he was driving, all for something that should never of been past into law 

I remember me and my mate  being confronted by plod at a field gateway as we were leaving,  ( lamp and rabbits , secreted in the hedge  ) , “ you boys been lamping “ ? “ No “ , “ Lurcher’s , Hunter wellies , Barbour jackets, you boys have been lamping, we were watching the lamps shine across the fields “ , “f@ck me !!!! What are you ? Some sort of detectives ?️♀️  “ , said my mate ……..It was a long night .?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Up until a couple of years ago we still used to go and run a few rabbits once the winter drilling’s went in, but with mosh having a heart attack and me being more involved with the shoot and all the other shooting related activities, sadly those days are over now

i think I’ve put this picture on before, I have very few from back then, because we had no cameras on phones, come to think of it we didn’t have phones, Mosh looks really young here, he’s about 53 now

391EF5AF-8E47-4A09-8B24-EB4DFC3415CF.jpeg

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Stavross said:

Up until a couple of years ago we still used to go and run a few rabbits once the winter drilling’s went in, but with mosh having a heart attack and me being more involved with the shoot and all the other shooting related activities, sadly those days are over now

i think I’ve put this picture on before, I have very few from back then, because we had no cameras on phones, come to think of it we didn’t have phones, Mosh looks really young here, he’s about 53 now

391EF5AF-8E47-4A09-8B24-EB4DFC3415CF.jpeg

A clulite clubman I see !!! You guys were lucky  ?. I was going to spin a yarn about motorcycle batteries and car headlamps , but we all know where that’s going ??? Ben would chip in with a story about miners lamps or ships lanterns.?

• Haha 5
3 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

A clulite clubman I see !!! You guys were lucky  ?. I was going to spin a yarn about motorcycle batteries and car headlamps , but we all know where that’s going ??? Ben would chip in with a story about miners lamps or ships lanterns.?

Yerr, all my jeans had little holes in them where the battery acid leaked ?

• Haha 2
22 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

That’s how we started out, spot light off the front of an XR2, I’ve recently just sold my lightforce variable power lamp with over the shoulder man bag battery bag