Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

11 hours ago, David.evans said:

You back up north FH?

Yes, Scottish Borders. Well the rain  stopped so I was back out to play. Most of the farm was still covered in white long grass so I was limited to where I could go. I set up in the same field that I shot the first fox which is gorse , white grass and rushes but knew there would be more about. Anyway after various calling and frustration due to foxes not being visible enough in long grass I ended up shooting 4 in this field but only picked 3 , couldn't find one in the long grass ? 

20210905_021918.jpg

• Like 7

Well here we go with me little adventure 

I arrived at Mr Foxers at 5pm to a cup of tea in the garden with Mr and Mrs Foxer and little Miss Foxer after a catch up it was off out for a takeaway, suitably filled it was time to head out to meet up with Ric ( our fine driver and guide for the evening) and his custom freelander we would be shooting from. It wasn’t long before we were on our first 2 in the same field, taking a shot at the closest one to me it was a definite hit ( number 1 )but it made it through some thick cover and the other one was off out of sight, try as we may, we couldn’t find the shot fox, off to the next field and as soon as we went through the gate I spotted one , taking the shot at 130 yards this one again started to jump about, dead on its feet but I gave it a second just to make sure, ( number 2 )looking back at the video it seemed I was struggling to shoot off the rails on the land rover and was shooting low ( they could of done with been about 10” higher for me ) with this in mind I kept the shot up a bit for the rest, the next one ( number 3) was a cub 149 yards out in a stubble field, while we were watching this one I ran the thermal around the field and there was another 2 at each end of the field. Lining back up on the cub still at 149 I took the shot, no messing this time, it jumped and scampered 10 yards and down it went with a heart shot, when we went to collect it we came across a tiny leveret in the stubble, no more than 25 yards from the fox, carrying on the next one ( number 4 ) was a straight forward crosshairs on the bib and down he went, the next one, ( number 5 ) not so good, only a 83 yard shot but this one also went through the cover and into a dyke and not wanting to get wet they said they’d look for it in daylight, on to another spot known as lucky corner and it was, an old dog ( number 6 )a little under 100 yards and what a mess the bullet made of him. On to around a power station now and as soon as we pulled into the field and put the caller on one appeared from the dyke side and came running towards us, robin having to stop it at around 90 with a shout ( number 7 ) down she went, a fine looking older vixen, moving just 300 yards down the road there was another just sat at the edge of some trees a long way off, robin deployed the mouth caller and it showed an interest, gaining in speed, by the time it got to the bank side of the dyke something spooked it, maybe it winded us, turned tail and ran, a loud shout and it couldn’t help itself, it stopped and turned just long enough for me to get a shot off, the thud was all I needed to hear ( number 8 ) by this time it was getting late or early depending on how you want to look at it,  so with one more stop we called another in ( number 9 ) this one came to 120 yards, I lined up on it squeezed the trigger and it ran, I’ve no idea how I didn’t hit it, even looking back at the video the shot looked perfect, so that was it, not the best way to end the night and I would of stayed out until daylight, but I can’t thank Robin and Ric enough for the invite, so at the end, it was 6 down and collected, 2 not recovered and 1 complete miss, these we not all we seen, over the 6 hours we were out we easily seen 20 foxes which to me is unbelievable and it’s not like they don’t get hammered down there, I’ve never been anywhere else that holds foxes in such large numbers 

on another note they have invited me back down for a go at the geese or duck flighting, my choice ? I’d love a go at the ducks because I’ve seen the flight ponds but I’ve also seen them shoot geese from coffin hides and that looks a lot of fun, I’m going to have to have some shotgun lessons ?

5C800B52-40EB-42C0-833F-37DA6399B1C6.jpeg

B0446CA5-B057-4367-9E35-FD3F3B8B7DA0.jpeg

8C5391F5-FD9A-42B1-A5C6-3846922CCFFC.jpeg

0336F231-EB5F-4F88-BF0C-37BB60072F71.jpeg

A6E1E356-10EA-4B71-900E-97A5B32DF550.jpeg

0AA493BB-78AA-4B6A-9CDE-7B482D3D2E5A.jpeg

• Like 8
13 minutes ago, Stavross said:

It was a proper red letter day for me FH will tell you how hard we work for foxes up this way, they were running around like rabbits down there

I’ll have to flip a coin with the duck and geese, I don’t know what I’d prefer ?

Geese are bigger and easier to hit [BANNED TEXT] ??