Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

I’ve had a fox around one of the pens . It would just feed itself and not cause too much chaos the odd puff of feathers here and there, was all that gave it away . However I bumped into one of the local dog walkers who is always out early before he goes to work and he confirmed my suspicions by saying he saw a fox taking a poult on the path in front of him in the morning. 
         I didn’t want to shoot too close to the pen as I didn’t want to disturb the birds roosting. So I set my caller up on the stubble about 100 meters from where the fox was seen taking the bird . Icotec pheasant distress. I’ve started to form a theory that you shouldn’t go too loud on the volume I just have it so I can just about hear it . I’m a bit deaf so it’s bound to be audible to Charlie. I reckon it was 15 minutes and I picked up a heat signature in the hedge. It seemed to sit there for a while and I was losing patience. I’ve done this before and I changed the call to fox cub and the response was instant , it walked clear of the hedge and was now visible and was definitely a fox . Thud . One front on shot to the bib . One very dead young dog fox , in far too good condition for my liking. Hopefully this is the culprit, but you can never be sure . 
         I’m waiting for the beans to be cut , we’ve got quite a few fields with beans this year and they have been sprayed off weeks ago , but only about half has died off and they are going to have to be sprayed again , the farmer says it could be three weeks till harvest. So there is still the possibility of some good evenings .

I’m calling into the chicken farm tonight. He hasn’t had any kills for ages . But he has seen one or two about so I’m going to take a look .  

051C1091-19F9-4676-A1DD-441C3745BD6B.jpeg

E4E16319-8151-45DD-8EF4-0D73D390D842.jpeg

Edited by shovel leaner
  • Like 8
2 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Love it when you get 1st hand information,  always helps ?

I tend to see very little. The sound of my mule  I think has foxes running for cover . It’s surprising what you see if you are just sat up , or walking. Horse riders dog walkers are good sources of information. God bless um ?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, shovel leaner said:

The sound of my mule  I think has foxes running for cover .

That definitely true mate- I shoot good amount of corvids, probably avg. 10 every week with HMR when going about on quad. At the stage now, soon as one hears bike they're off "caw caw fucķ that, caw caw, I saw what happened to me pal!" ?

Edited by BenBhoy
  • Haha 4

I turned up at the chicken farm last night, my heart full of optimism and a pocket full of bullets . Rifle out of the truck , thermal out . Then all of a sudden the heavens opened , the kind of rain that got Noah thinking about building a big boat . Oh well , there’s always another night .?

• Sad 3

Stav, i take it Mr Foxer made a video of the evening you went to Lincolnshire?

I keep looking at his uploads but nothing has appeared.

I wonder what takes so long? it's not like making Private Ryan or something.?  

• Haha 1
18 minutes ago, ianm said:

Mr Foxer is just trying to decide if he needs to pixelate stav's face or just take the hit to his ratings "christ that's putting me off my tea/bit early for Halloween masks"!! 

Edited by BenBhoy
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, ianm said:

He filmed a bit of it, but most of the time he was spotting, calling or we were chatting sh*t, I know he’s got a geese shooting video to do first

5 hours ago, David.evans said:

It’s just taking some time to edit out stav bad shooting ?

only joking stav ?

you are not far off there Dave, I had a few dodgy shots, I couldn’t get away with shooting off the frame on the back of the Land Rover 

4 hours ago, Dervburner said:

What did Stav do to deserve this? ?

?

it’s just pure jealousy Derv, I’ve had it all my life, whether it be because of my devilish good looks, shining personality or my willingness to help the less fortunate than myself ( I.e. Ben ?) I don’t  understand why people can’t just be nice 

• Haha 6

Today I was protecting drillings again. The last 2 days I have watched this field and there have been 2 to 300 corvids on it so was looking forward to a red letter day. On arrival though there was no birds about ? but it was only 10 am. I always  sit it out all day expecting the birds to show up eventually. Anyway movement was slow but I shot really well taking most birds that ventured in range. I shot the best woodie I have ever shot , I took a right and left with the 1st bird at 40 yds and the 2nd at 60yds and it was stone dead , dropped like a brick, I was over the moon to say the least ? Not the red letter day I was expecting but a respectable 75 and 2 bonus squigs. 

20210911_180013.jpg

• Like 8