Back up at the shoot

It’s absolutely chucking it down here and it’s apparently set in for the day, which is a bit of a bugger because my mate rang me last night to tell me all the wheat is now off so was hoping to get out later as the wedding anniversary may stop play tomorrow ☹️
It’s good to see the birds out on the stubbles, a lot of shoots around this way haven’t put as many birds down and some of the small syndicates haven’t bothered at all, my birds will be here 6am Tuesday morning, we are always the last to get them, we used to push for them for the end of July but there was no benefit to us, so we now don’t push him for them and let him bring them whenever he wants, they are always hatched the same week so he might as well feed them for a bit longer, ( this is the latest they have ever been mind ) the weather looks good for the week they go in so with a bit of luck they will settle well, a busy couple of weeks ahead and then get a couple of others involved with the feeding so I can go on my annual trip to Lincolnshire for some fox bashing with Robin Foxer off that YouTube 

Edited by Stavross
  • Like 4

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

3 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

. Have a good trip with Mr Foxxer Stav .....will be nice to see plenty foxes ?

I’ve just got off the phone with him, they will have everything down on the farms his mate Ric manages for the 4th of September, they haven’t shot anything on this land yet and know there’s at least 3 litters on there, they said they’ll leave it for me to shoot, with robin spotting and filming and Ric driving us round shooting from there converted freelander, I’m really looking forward to going down

i’ve just been out to try and find a replacement for the Pbir after been messed about a bit trying to get a Solaris, anyway speaking to a lad I know he said you can’t get a dragonfly anymore so in his opinion, having owned them all, the one to have is the “night saber” so that’s what I got, not cheap but he said I won’t be disappointed with it, also got some gen3 trigger sticks, in the next week or so I’ll be getting a helion 2 thermal, once I have a dig about to see who wants to sell me it the cheapest, all this spending is not good for a northern lads health ?

F021DFED-885C-4928-88F5-C82D596AC5D3.jpeg

4C7D57CB-F360-44F4-A9BB-AA0290C08013.jpeg

• Like 5

Well it got to 3pm and it had faired up so I thought bugger it I'm off out with the shotgun. On arrival at the stubble field about 30 corvids took off. I got set up and it was a bit slow but shot well . I noticed a squirrel pop out onto the wheat and back to the hedge , it did this a couple of times so I headed over to ambush it on its next appearance but I spotted it in the tree and down it came ? Back to my hide and shortly afterwards spotted another squirrel so popped back  over and bagged this one too. On packing my hide away a bunny appeared down the hedge so after stalking in closer it was added to the bag too. I then decided to wait at the tree where I shot the squirrels and added a 3rd pretty much straight away.  So a good couple of hours with a bit variety ... 22 corvids 2 woodies 3 squirrels and 1 rabbit. Beats sitting in the house any day even though it was raining.

20210821_182017.jpg

20210821_182955.jpg

20210821_185721.jpg

• Like 6
2 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Bloody hell have you won the lottery or summat ? 

RIP great uncle Ray, it’s what he would of wanted ??

i had a run up the shoot this evening to put the elec fences on and some bird scare tape across the pens because there’s no chance of me getting up there during the day tomorrow, my god it’s wet. I popped to the farm just to let the old girl know I was about, she said I’m glad you have come up there’s a fault with the electric fence around the beast field, so after 20 minutes I found where it was earthing out, quick repair and it was back up and running, always pays to do these little jobs up there. As I was up there and the rape and wheat had been cut at the back of the farm I thought I’d have a wander to see what was about and I wanted to wait until dark to check out this new IR, it’s quality and has completely changed the NV, I can’t wait to try it when I haven’t got low cloud and rain. I did see 3 fallow does in the middle of the cut wheat, one of which walked to within 30 yards of me without a care in the world, as I was heading back up the field towards the farm I clocked another deer through the spotter, so thought I’d have a look at it through the scope, it was a fallow buck that had just come from the oak wood drive, not a fantastic animal but a fallow buck nevertheless ?

BB35DC44-2131-4E03-9B2A-0027769511EC.jpeg

BE3CC26A-B11E-42A0-9D96-7186745518B3.jpeg

AF5B47FD-36DE-424B-95A9-07A08D06A21A.jpeg

Edited by Stavross
  • Like 2

I noticed a small brood of 4 wild pheasants with the hen this morning on the stubble . They look maybe 4 weeks old , it’s hard to tell the age if you compare them to reared birds because they don’t develop as fast without the heat and high protein diet . So they may be older . It’s nice to see them but I wonder if any will make it to adulthood….. I doubt it . But fingers crossed ? 

774E6253-B95B-47BA-8C7E-43B338E81B77.jpeg

F2BFF4A5-0C7D-45B2-B044-0B0B8DB7AD00.jpeg

• Like 4
1 hour ago, David.evans said:

A few more nights looks on the cards for you then SL ?

I try and get out three nights a week , more if there is a problem fox . I tell everyone on here about my success, but not about the many nights that I put in when I don’t see anything, or see something but no shot is on . But there are seldom nights where I don’t gather a bit of an idea what is going on during the hours of darkness. To be honest, I like that it’s quiet on the fox front . I remember the days when I used to lamp . There was always a fox about , that was lamp shy . Now you get IR shy ones , but you can deal with them by waiting for them under a full moon and use the ambient light . You done much lately?

Edited by shovel leaner
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, FOXHUNTER said:

I bet it was saturated last night Stav , the downpours round here were savage , roads flooded all over. Them Helions are great bet you cant wait to use it. Glad to hear the fallow are showing , must get round to having a look soon ?

Yeah, I had to ring the rifle and myself out when I got home, I’ve used a lot of thermal and the pulsars are by far the best, for me it’s not only for shooting but they are ideal for checking where the birds are roosting, as I’m tight as a nun’s chuff I thought I’d use the money from uncle Ray because it’s money I wasn’t expecting and wouldn’t miss, we can get out whenever suits us both, all the crops are down now ?

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Stavross said:

RIP great uncle Ray, it’s what he would of wanted ??

i had a run up the shoot this evening to put the elec fences on and some bird scare tape across the pens because there’s no chance of me getting up there during the day tomorrow, my god it’s wet. I popped to the farm just to let the old girl know I was about, she said I’m glad you have come up there’s a fault with the electric fence around the beast field, so after 20 minutes I found where it was earthing out, quick repair and it was back up and running, always pays to do these little jobs up there. As I was up there and the rape and wheat had been cut at the back of the farm I thought I’d have a wander to see what was about and I wanted to wait until dark to check out this new IR, it’s quality and has completely changed the NV, I can’t wait to try it when I haven’t got low cloud and rain. I did see 3 fallow does in the middle of the cut wheat, one of which walked to within 30 yards of me without a care in the world, as I was heading back up the field towards the farm I clocked another deer through the spotter, so thought I’d have a look at it through the scope, it was a fallow buck that had just come from the oak wood drive, not a fantastic animal but a fallow buck nevertheless ?

BB35DC44-2131-4E03-9B2A-0027769511EC.jpeg

BE3CC26A-B11E-42A0-9D96-7186745518B3.jpeg

AF5B47FD-36DE-424B-95A9-07A08D06A21A.jpeg

That track is screaming for a wire ??

D31FFB80-3E1D-44D3-BC62-1DA96D6BEBC1.jpeg

13 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Well it got to 3pm and it had faired up so I thought bugger it I'm off out with the shotgun. On arrival at the stubble field about 30 corvids took off. I got set up and it was a bit slow but shot well . I noticed a squirrel pop out onto the wheat and back to the hedge , it did this a couple of times so I headed over to ambush it on its next appearance but I spotted it in the tree and down it came ? Back to my hide and shortly afterwards spotted another squirrel so popped back  over and bagged this one too. On packing my hide away a bunny appeared down the hedge so after stalking in closer it was added to the bag too. I then decided to wait at the tree where I shot the squirrels and added a 3rd pretty much straight away.  So a good couple of hours with a bit variety ... 22 corvids 2 woodies 3 squirrels and 1 rabbit. Beats sitting in the house any day even though it was raining.

20210821_182017.jpg

20210821_182955.jpg

20210821_185721.jpg

That’s a brilliant couple of hours Mark, just up my street that...........??

• Like 1