Jump to content

Beddy greyhound


Recommended Posts

I'm not sure about this "beating and picking up isn't work " ! LOL !

Some years ago, me and LDR used to beat on a small shoot in Northumberland, and it was a shoot lurcher lads could only dream of !

Not only did they allow lurchers, but allowed us to slip between beats, as long as it didn't interfere with the shoot.

£35 a day, breakfast, lunch , as many birds as you wanted to take home, and the first drink free in the pub afterwards ! Plus any rabbit, hare or roe you caught, and they positively encoured us to slip on foxes !

After a day like that on the Northumberland fells, you can bet you dog had a real days work !

Cheers.

  • Like 4
Link to post

  • Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I owned a Beddy/whippet bitch,about21",a few decades ago now.I paid about £20 for it at 14 months of age and the lad was sick of it because it chased hard and would not strike.I spent a few months get

Lovely bitch Poxon. Think mines done in height now 23.5tts 10 months. 

My beddy lurcher 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Shadow100 said:

The original lurcher was bred as a poachers dog to catch game for the table. Sighthounds were banned for the common man, so they had to cross them with collies etc so they didn’t look like sighthounds.

The original lurcher most certainly wasn’t bred to push birds about for the lord & his friends them pick them up for him once he’d shot them.

One of my first introductions of a lurcher [BANNED TEXT] i was a pup was watching it retrieve shot birds from the shadows then avin giggle watching his lords hopos dogs trying to find them ? Also remember the old school lads in fits of laughter [BANNED TEXT] i told them how id descovered lamping back in the 70s what a poacher with light ?  Point is a lurcher not a sighthound should av its paw in all pies ? 

Link to post
2 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

I'm not sure about this "beating and picking up isn't work " ! LOL !

Some years ago, me and LDR used to beat on a small shoot in Northumberland, and it was a shoot lurcher lads could only dream of !

Not only did they allow lurchers, but allowed us to slip between beats, as long as it didn't interfere with the shoot.

£35 a day, breakfast, lunch , as many birds as you wanted to take home, and the first drink free in the pub afterwards ! Plus any rabbit, hare or roe you caught, and they positively encoured us to slip on foxes !

After a day like that on the Northumberland fells, you can bet you dog had a real days work !

Cheers.

That's what I go for :) good banter, plenty of work opportunities for the lurchers, had a few accidental roe always a bit embarassing but as the keeper says it saves the cost of a bullet and goes in their fridges. As many pheasant duck and partridge as I want free plus lunch and cash in hand, gets lamping permissions and as far as keeper is concerned a good fox is a dead fox. All a bit of fun really. I attend 3 shoots which opens up doors for lamping permissions too.

  • Like 2
Link to post
3 minutes ago, Loton Moocher said:

One of my first introductions of a lurcher [BANNED TEXT] i was a pup was watching it retrieve shot birds from the shadows then avin giggle watching his lords hopos dogs trying to find them ? Also remember the old school lads in fits of laughter [BANNED TEXT] i told them how id descovered lamping back in the 70s what a poacher with light ?  Point is a lurcher not a sighthound should av its paw in all pies ? 

I don’t think so, I think a lurchers purpose is to run & catch game, not help provide a good days sport for toffs.

Link to post
6 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

I'm not sure about this "beating and picking up isn't work " ! LOL !

Some years ago, me and LDR used to beat on a small shoot in Northumberland, and it was a shoot lurcher lads could only dream of !

Not only did they allow lurchers, but allowed us to slip between beats, as long as it didn't interfere with the shoot.

£35 a day, breakfast, lunch , as many birds as you wanted to take home, and the first drink free in the pub afterwards ! Plus any rabbit, hare or roe you caught, and they positively encoured us to slip on foxes !

After a day like that on the Northumberland fells, you can bet you dog had a real days work !

Cheers.

If it wanna northumberland and a bit more cash  sure it was the same place i go ? Lol

  • Like 1
Link to post
8 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

I'm not sure about this "beating and picking up isn't work " ! LOL !

Some years ago, me and LDR used to beat on a small shoot in Northumberland, and it was a shoot lurcher lads could only dream of !

Not only did they allow lurchers, but allowed us to slip between beats, as long as it didn't interfere with the shoot.

£35 a day, breakfast, lunch , as many birds as you wanted to take home, and the first drink free in the pub afterwards ! Plus any rabbit, hare or roe you caught, and they positively encoured us to slip on foxes !

After a day like that on the Northumberland fells, you can bet you dog had a real days work !

Cheers.

It’s not proper lurcher work, it can be dressed up however people want.

I don’t understand why lurcher owners want to go on shoot days, to be told by a keeper when they can or can’t run their dogs. I’d rather just go mooching myself & run whatever I want.

  • Like 1
Link to post
1 minute ago, Shadow100 said:

I don’t think so, I think a lurchers purpose is to run & catch game, not help provide a good days sport for toffs.

Where else can you take your mut to keep it paw in and get payed for it ? And these days it aint all toffs our sydicate are great bunch of working class mancs we even got a russian surgeon ? Lol

  • Like 1
Link to post
1 minute ago, Loton Moocher said:

Where else can you take your mut to keep it paw in and get payed for it ? And these days it aint all toffs our sydicate are great bunch of working class mancs we even got a russian surgeon ? Lol

I could go a nights lamping, sell what I catch & make 5 times what you get beating, and I don’t need to ask permission to slip.

”Can I have a run at that please sir?” 
“Thank you very much for that sir” 

Not for me, I just do what I feel like doing, when I feel like doing it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
8 minutes ago, Vicky Steadman said:

That's what I go for :) good banter, plenty of work opportunities for the lurchers, had a few accidental roe always a bit embarassing but as the keeper says it saves the cost of a bullet and goes in their fridges. As many pheasant duck and partridge as I want free plus lunch and cash in hand, gets lamping permissions and as far as keeper is concerned a good fox is a dead fox. All a bit of fun really. I attend 3 shoots which opens up doors for lamping permissions too.

They dunna shout fox 🦊 when one appears in a drive the shout me on our shoot ? Lol

Link to post
Just now, Shadow100 said:

I could go a nights lamping, sell what I catch & make 5 times what you get beating, and I don’t need to ask permission to slip.

”Can I have a run at that please sir?” 
“Thank you very much for that sir” 

Not for me, I just do what I feel like doing, when I feel like doing it.

Think you misread my first post or you would av noticed we was stealing the birds ? Toff me ? Lol

Link to post
2 minutes ago, Shadow100 said:

It’s not proper lurcher work, it can be dressed up however people want.

I don’t understand why lurcher owners want to go on shoot days, to be told by a keeper when they can or can’t run their dogs. I’d rather just go mooching myself & run whatever I want.

The lurcher world is a VERY big place, with many variations to the game.

I respect your opinion, and would never knock what another man does, that's their business, not mine.

Ive tried just about everything over the years with my dogs, I got a deer/grey that took her first white hare at 8 1/2, and her first, (and only !), fallow at 9, thanks to being invited out by lads to try something different.

I even had a day out with my 29" 80lb bitch running bolted rabbits on the Scottish hills, not her type of work, but, hey, why not ?

By the way, she was running with two Beddy types that day, who certainly showed her how it's done!

So, I'll have a go at anything if it gets me out and the dog working ! LOL !

Cheers.

  • Like 4
Link to post
17 minutes ago, Shadow100 said:

I could go a nights lamping, sell what I catch & make 5 times what you get beating, and I don’t need to ask permission to slip.

”Can I have a run at that please sir?” 
“Thank you very much for that sir” 

Not for me, I just do what I feel like doing, when I feel like doing it.

🌬

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...