Beddy greyhound

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I owned a Beddy/whippet bitch,about21",a few decades ago now.I paid about £20 for it at 14 months of age and the lad was sick of it because it chased hard and would not strike.I spent a few months get

Lovely bitch Poxon. Think mines done in height now 23.5tts 10 months. 

My beddy lurcher 

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

I'm not sure about this "beating and picking up isn't work " ! LOL !

Some years ago, me and LDR used to beat on a small shoot in Northumberland, and it was a shoot lurcher lads could only dream of !

Not only did they allow lurchers, but allowed us to slip between beats, as long as it didn't interfere with the shoot.

£35 a day, breakfast, lunch , as many birds as you wanted to take home, and the first drink free in the pub afterwards ! Plus any rabbit, hare or roe you caught, and they positively encoured us to slip on foxes !

After a day like that on the Northumberland fells, you can bet you dog had a real days work !

Cheers.

That's what I go for :) good banter, plenty of work opportunities for the lurchers, had a few accidental roe always a bit embarassing but as the keeper says it saves the cost of a bullet and goes in their fridges. As many pheasant duck and partridge as I want free plus lunch and cash in hand, gets lamping permissions and as far as keeper is concerned a good fox is a dead fox. All a bit of fun really. I attend 3 shoots which opens up doors for lamping permissions too.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Loton Moocher said:

One of my first introductions of a lurcher [BANNED TEXT] i was a pup was watching it retrieve shot birds from the shadows then avin giggle watching his lords hopos dogs trying to find them ? Also remember the old school lads in fits of laughter [BANNED TEXT] i told them how id descovered lamping back in the 70s what a poacher with light ?  Point is a lurcher not a sighthound should av its paw in all pies ? 

I don’t think so, I think a lurchers purpose is to run & catch game, not help provide a good days sport for toffs.

6 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Some years ago, me and LDR used to beat on a small shoot in Northumberland, and it was a shoot lurcher lads could only dream of !

Not only did they allow lurchers, but allowed us to slip between beats, as long as it didn't interfere with the shoot.

£35 a day, breakfast, lunch , as many birds as you wanted to take home, and the first drink free in the pub afterwards ! Plus any rabbit, hare or roe you caught, and they positively encoured us to slip on foxes !

After a day like that on the Northumberland fells, you can bet you dog had a real days work !

Cheers.

If it wanna northumberland and a bit more cash  sure it was the same place i go ? Lol

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Cheers.

It’s not proper lurcher work, it can be dressed up however people want.

I don’t understand why lurcher owners want to go on shoot days, to be told by a keeper when they can or can’t run their dogs. I’d rather just go mooching myself & run whatever I want.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Shadow100 said:

I don’t think so, I think a lurchers purpose is to run & catch game, not help provide a good days sport for toffs.

Where else can you take your mut to keep it paw in and get payed for it ? And these days it aint all toffs our sydicate are great bunch of working class mancs we even got a russian surgeon ? Lol

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Loton Moocher said:

Where else can you take your mut to keep it paw in and get payed for it ? And these days it aint all toffs our sydicate are great bunch of working class mancs we even got a russian surgeon ? Lol

I could go a nights lamping, sell what I catch & make 5 times what you get beating, and I don’t need to ask permission to slip.

”Can I have a run at that please sir?” 
“Thank you very much for that sir” 

Not for me, I just do what I feel like doing, when I feel like doing it.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Vicky Steadman said:

That's what I go for :) good banter, plenty of work opportunities for the lurchers, had a few accidental roe always a bit embarassing but as the keeper says it saves the cost of a bullet and goes in their fridges. As many pheasant duck and partridge as I want free plus lunch and cash in hand, gets lamping permissions and as far as keeper is concerned a good fox is a dead fox. All a bit of fun really. I attend 3 shoots which opens up doors for lamping permissions too.

They dunna shout fox ? when one appears in a drive the shout me on our shoot ? Lol

Just now, Shadow100 said:

I could go a nights lamping, sell what I catch & make 5 times what you get beating, and I don’t need to ask permission to slip.

Think you misread my first post or you would av noticed we was stealing the birds ? Toff me ? Lol

2 minutes ago, Shadow100 said:

It’s not proper lurcher work, it can be dressed up however people want.

I don’t understand why lurcher owners want to go on shoot days, to be told by a keeper when they can or can’t run their dogs. I’d rather just go mooching myself & run whatever I want.

The lurcher world is a VERY big place, with many variations to the game.

I respect your opinion, and would never knock what another man does, that's their business, not mine.

Ive tried just about everything over the years with my dogs, I got a deer/grey that took her first white hare at 8 1/2, and her first, (and only !), fallow at 9, thanks to being invited out by lads to try something different.

I even had a day out with my 29" 80lb bitch running bolted rabbits on the Scottish hills, not her type of work, but, hey, why not ?

By the way, she was running with two Beddy types that day, who certainly showed her how it's done!

So, I'll have a go at anything if it gets me out and the dog working ! LOL !

Cheers.

• Like 4
17 minutes ago, Shadow100 said:

?

1 hour ago, Vicky Steadman said:

Precisely what I'm getting at; it's not the breeds fault but it seems to be becoming less popular as lads turn to bull crosses or saluki crosses, or mix of the two. I get a lot of jip for running a beddy cross because in a lot of peoples minds she will never ever be to the standard of their saluki bull greys. Maybe she won't but I and a few others know what she does and when you have a 24.5" 25kg dog doing exactly the same job as a 28" 35kg dog, I know which impresses me more. 

I think it's a shame that bedlington lurchers are going out of fashion apart from the beddy whippets that make good money as pets. The problem I have is that with them not being "the in thing", people aren't bothering to test them because if they wanted to do that sort of testing work it's easier to have a bigger and stronger dog. When looking for a bedlington bred stud the amount of stuff I got offered that had never seen a days work in it's life was off putting. People were quicker to tell you what the dogs had achieved in a show ring than what they can do in the field and no one would let me see their dogs in action or accept invites lamping which said to me they weren't workers. I know Poxon had the same issue severak years ago. It's not the dogs fault at all, personally a big bedlington lurcher is my ideal alrounder but not many seem to have that same mind set. I've not been in the game as long as most so feel free to take what I say with a pinch of salt but this is what I've learned over the years so only stating what I know. 

The real working bedlington will very soon die out simply coz the ones that do there job with them have no where left to go now the gene pool has got smaller and smaller ? Simpy coz makin money took over from makin good working dogs this the terrier its self i mean by this ? But without the terrier you dont get your beddy x if you see what i mean ? Anyway its good to see you working your dogs other than aim point fire  like most lurcher work has become ?

Can’t beat a good beddy x.  Very versatile dogs. 
ferretimg, lamping, beating and some are demons on teeth. 

a good all round lurcher that gives 110%.

thats the Beauty of a lurcher they adapt to what ever work you throw at them. Jack of all trades master of non unless it runs fast 

• Like 2