Beddy greyhound

13 minutes ago, Loton Moocher said:

Only thing i dissagreed was the beddy being slated ? Im glad she works a lurcher to its potentical as many dont anymore it mainly just aim point fire these days ? Maybe im to close to me sell by date and stuck in me ways ? Lol but i stick by its horses 4 courses and all rounder dosent exist ?

Keep it real fella??Maybe I had my wires crossed an miss read your original post that gave you the original reply I offered if that’s the case I’ll give you a apology hope it’s excepted? Think we’re on the same wave length any how we know the crack about beddyx an the difference a good un an dirt

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I owned a Beddy/whippet bitch,about21",a few decades ago now.I paid about £20 for it at 14 months of age and the lad was sick of it because it chased hard and would not strike.I spent a few months get

Lovely bitch Poxon. Think mines done in height now 23.5tts 10 months. 

My beddy lurcher 

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Black neck said:

U can't compare a beddy x 2 a bull cross just not in the same league 

13 minutes ago, poxon said:

Keep it real fella??Maybe I had my wires crossed an miss read your original post that gave you the original reply I offered if that’s the case I’ll give you a apology hope it’s excepted? Think we’re on the same wave length any how we know the crack about beddyx an the difference a good un an dirt

Maybe i posted under her post instead of on the mainstream ? Thats maybe coz aint the brightest spark with teckno stuff never av been ? Good with old grey knocker box tho ? Lol you can stink new digical things there crap lol

6 minutes ago, Loton Moocher said:

I think the original lurcher was.bred for many tasks ?

The original lurcher was bred as a poachers dog to catch game for the table. Sighthounds were banned for the common man, so they had to cross them with collies etc so they didn’t look like sighthounds.

The original lurcher most certainly wasn’t bred to push birds about for the lord & his friends them pick them up for him once he’d shot them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
3 hours ago, Loton Moocher said:

Where in what i have just said have i knocked her or her dog ?  In fact if you scroll back you see where i said its a tidy looking animal ? Like iv said. Beddys get a bad press coz instant beddy experts claiming all sort of shite and breeding shite takin the believers money at the same time wanting there name in some crap book ? Yes maybe your right the real thing may av gone but that aint the breeds fault ? And if all beddys are shite why put it in your lines ? Iv not once said there world.beaters but they put in a good shift and.in the end it comes down to what suits the the individual ? And what a lot do seem to forget is you get out what you put in ? Whatever x it is ?

Precisely what I'm getting at; it's not the breeds fault but it seems to be becoming less popular as lads turn to bull crosses or saluki crosses, or mix of the two. I get a lot of jip for running a beddy cross because in a lot of peoples minds she will never ever be to the standard of their saluki bull greys. Maybe she won't but I and a few others know what she does and when you have a 24.5" 25kg dog doing exactly the same job as a 28" 35kg dog, I know which impresses me more. 

I think it's a shame that bedlington lurchers are going out of fashion apart from the beddy whippets that make good money as pets. The problem I have is that with them not being "the in thing", people aren't bothering to test them because if they wanted to do that sort of testing work it's easier to have a bigger and stronger dog. When looking for a bedlington bred stud the amount of stuff I got offered that had never seen a days work in it's life was off putting. People were quicker to tell you what the dogs had achieved in a show ring than what they can do in the field and no one would let me see their dogs in action or accept invites lamping which said to me they weren't workers. I know Poxon had the same issue severak years ago. It's not the dogs fault at all, personally a big bedlington lurcher is my ideal alrounder but not many seem to have that same mind set. I've not been in the game as long as most so feel free to take what I say with a pinch of salt but this is what I've learned over the years so only stating what I know. 

16 hours ago, Shadow100 said:

To be fair in my experience how good a roe deer looks is totally dependant on how much open space it’s got infront of it, any dog can catch them in paddocks but I’ve seen a few supposedly decent deer dogs return sheepish when there’s 500+ yards of open space in front of it.

Also just to add without being too controversial & no offence to bull cross lads, but they’re not blessed with wind, if I wanted a dog to graft away steady all night a straight bull/grey wouldn’t be my first port of call, and it’s all well & good being a heavy anchor but you’ve got to catch what you’re running first. They’ve got their uses without a doubt but they’re not the ultimate lurcher in their own right like a lot of people would have you believe

I agree on both points there, 100%. 

2 minutes ago, Vicky Steadman said:

Precisely what I'm getting at; it's not the breeds fault but it seems to be becoming less popular as lads turn to bull crosses or saluki crosses, or mix of the two. I get a lot of jip for running a beddy cross because in a lot of peoples minds she will never ever be to the standard of their saluki bull greys. Maybe she won't but I and a few others know what she does and when you have a 24.5" 25kg dog doing exactly the same job as a 28" 35kg dog, I know which impresses me more. 

I think it's a shame that bedlington lurchers are going out of fashion apart from the beddy whippets that make good money as pets. The problem I have is that with them not being "the in thing", people aren't bothering to test them because if they wanted to do that sort of testing work it's easier to have a bigger and stronger dog. When looking for a bedlington bred stud the amount of stuff I got offered that had never seen a days work in it's life was off putting. People were quicker to tell you what the dogs had achieved in a show ring than what they can do in the field and no one would let me see their dogs in action or accept invites lamping which said to me they weren't workers. I know Poxon had the same issue severak years ago. It's not the dogs fault at all, personally a big bedlington lurcher is my ideal alrounder but not many seem to have that same mind set. I've not been in the game as long as most so feel free to take what I say with a pinch of salt but this is what I've learned over the years so only stating what I know. 

Get a bull x and do it properly 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Shadow100 said:

I don’t care how often people work their dogs whether it’s 5 times a week or once a month, what gets me is when people lie about how much they do that’s different.

I agree with some of what she says but not all of it, for me beating on a shoot isn’t working a lurcher, and if you’re on a shoot a few days a week how much work can your dogs realistically get cause they need rest days as well.

If I want to test a dog I’ll go out and graft it properly not spend days walking in a beating line but we’re all different 

Last season was 3 days on the beating line each week (mostly in slips for vermin control). 3 nights lamping. None of the shoots are going ahead this season so will get in more lamping I should think. We did the odd bit of ferreting too but rabbits are in short supply round here so had to travel for that. Prior to last season we'd only be on the beating line once a week. Beating itself is no real job for a lurcher it's just a nice walk out but no keeper wants those vermin upsetting the birds so dealing with them quietly as they run back through the line was her job.

Beating was a free hot dinner, free coffee and £30 in my hand, wouldn't say no to that as frequently as possible when out of work, plus the sport available for a lurcher on it and it opened up lamping permissions from keepers. 

Edited by Vicky Steadman
1 hour ago, nothernlite said:

Talking about peddlers jcg was on fb selling kits for £45 each 3 litters he had now thats a peddling c..t 

Can I guess who jcg is? Haha I saw a screen shot of those £45 kits. Madness. If I'm right he's one with beddy crosses that wont let you see then work... but £350 cash up front for a single lining. Sod that all about the £££

8 minutes ago, Vicky Steadman said:

Can I guess who jcg is? Haha I saw a screen shot of those £45 kits. Madness. If I'm right he's one with beddy crosses that wont let you see then work... but £350 cash up front for a single lining. Sod that all about the £££

Yes the very man greedy peddling pr..k

• Like 1

I'm not sure about this "beating and picking up isn't work " ! LOL !

Some years ago, me and LDR used to beat on a small shoot in Northumberland, and it was a shoot lurcher lads could only dream of !

Not only did they allow lurchers, but allowed us to slip between beats, as long as it didn't interfere with the shoot.

£35 a day, breakfast, lunch , as many birds as you wanted to take home, and the first drink free in the pub afterwards ! Plus any rabbit, hare or roe you caught, and they positively encoured us to slip on foxes !

After a day like that on the Northumberland fells, you can bet you dog had a real days work !

Cheers.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Shadow100 said:

The original lurcher was bred as a poachers dog to catch game for the table. Sighthounds were banned for the common man, so they had to cross them with collies etc so they didn’t look like sighthounds.

The original lurcher most certainly wasn’t bred to push birds about for the lord & his friends them pick them up for him once he’d shot them.

One of my first introductions of a lurcher [BANNED TEXT] i was a pup was watching it retrieve shot birds from the shadows then avin giggle watching his lords hopos dogs trying to find them ? Also remember the old school lads in fits of laughter [BANNED TEXT] i told them how id descovered lamping back in the 70s what a poacher with light ?  Point is a lurcher not a sighthound should av its paw in all pies ?