Right ive bought a snap on 130 turbo mig welder.

Picked up a 10litre 95/5 argon/co2 bottle yesterday.ordered a regulator.

And have 0.6 wire. 

Is that a decent set up for car body work etc. 

I'm new to welding and have read a bit on the net.the above is what I've read is the way to go.

I'm wanting to weld a few holes in a 4x4 and make a dog guard for the jeep.

The amp power and wire speed etc.

It's a lot to learn.

Any tips or videos etc to watch.

Cheers king..

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I try to avoid buying 4x4s that need welding doing they have a habit of making you chase your tail ? Better off paying a little extra for something solid saves a lot of time and heartache. W

I’m no expert but just talking from personal experience use the mig for the cars then get a cheap arc for when your going to start on structural stuff with heavier gauge steel ?

Just get some bits of scrap and play around all sets have there own quirks and if using an extension lead make sure it’s fully unrolled or it will melt there you go your off oh and get a 4” grinder to

Posted Images

Snap on, good make, pricey but should last a life time.

It's like everything else, practice, practice, practice, it shouldn't take you long to get the hang of it, it's easier than arc welding. 

Atb j 

• Like 1

Just get some bits of scrap and play around all sets have there own quirks and if using an extension lead make sure it’s fully unrolled or it will melt there you go your off oh and get a 4” grinder to tidy up your first shit welds which I’m sure you’ll get ✌️✌️

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Just get some bits of scrap and play around all sets have there own quirks and if using an extension lead make sure it’s fully unrolled or it will melt there you go your off oh and get a 4” grinder to tidy up your first shit welds which I’m sure you’ll get ✌️✌️

Eddy currents cause an elecromagnetic field when current runs through a coiled cable, I always tell folk to uncoil cables too, sound advice ?

• Like 3
56 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Takes years to learn to weld properly? How fcuking much welding do you actually need doing? Pay somebody to do it properly. Especially on the 4x4 if you taking kids in it,  I thought about learning gor all the gear an more in workshop  at work but what fcuk is point, pay the welder and enjoy doing sumat else ? 

Some people spend years welding and never learn to do it properly ?.. 

• Like 3

I used a mig welder a lot during my apprenticeship building trailers - it's easy to get good at it when you've got someone good to learn from.

For welding cars, a fire extinguisher is a good shout - it's amazing how far that heat will travel while you're welding.

Do practice on some scrap panels first - you'll need to get your wire speed, current and gas right for a good weld.

......... it's easy to overcook it and blow a hole in the metal that you're trying to join.

There's a knack to keeping the weld flowing so that you don't overheat one area. You work backwards while gently moving the nozzle from side to side (the movement comes from your wrist).

A good mask is essential so that you can see what you're doing and avoid arc-eye.

Practice makes perfect.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Jonjon79 said:

I used a mig welder a lot during my apprenticeship building trailers - it's easy to get good at it when you've got someone good to learn from.

For welding cars, a fire extinguisher is a good shout - it's amazing how far that heat will travel while you're welding.

Do practice on some scrap panels first - you'll need to get your wire speed, current and gas right for a good weld.

......... it's easy to overcook it and blow a hole in the metal that you're trying to join.

There's a knack to keeping the weld flowing so that you don't overheat one are. You work backwards while gently moving the nozzle from side to side (the movement comes from your wrist).

A good mask is essential so that you can see what you're doing and avoid arc-eye.

Practice makes perfect.

While I agree on near everything you said , you don't move backwards with a mig you move forwards , as you get better penatration and you also get better shielding from the gas 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Not unless your robbing folk for bog roll ?

18 hours ago, king said:

Right ive bought a snap on 130 turbo mig welder.

Picked up a 10litre 95/5 argon/co2 bottle yesterday.ordered a regulator.

And have 0.6 wire. 

Is that a decent set up for car body work etc. ...

It a bit late to ask that question. 

18 hours ago, Ted Newgent said:

Fire extinguisher for when the car catches fire lol

Definitely.  A burn can take the car,  the building and any other buildings around by the time that you find water and a bucket.ý 

18 hours ago, king said:

And cover the inside windows as grinder sparks stick in the glass and rust ?

yes.

17 hours ago, Greyman said:

if you find scrap pieces of the sheet that you are going to use you can set the wire speed and amperage. 

17 hours ago, smithie said:

When you do the 4x4 cut the rust right back to good metal or you will just blow holes In it

Yes,  You can't weld rust.  It just splatters all over the place and give a weld which is like a chocolate aero bar.

Cut the patch slightly bigger than the hole. Shape the patch for a tight fit and tack it then hammer it to fit.  Then on to next tack.  When  the patch is a close tight fit you can go round it.  But stop and look to see if you are on track and that you haven't set the motor on fire. Or are burning up stuff like electrics, brake pipes or fuel lines.

Edit. I forgot,  check all that stuff before you start,  disconnect the battery. Work in a ventilated area. Dont inhale welding fumes.  They can cause a condition called metal fumes fever.   Be aware of uncovered skin such as neck , wrists AND MOST IMPORTANT wear grooves.  The times I have seen people's unprotected hands only inches away from the heat, sparks and the ultra violet which damages skin (can cause serious burns ( sunburn) and cause skin cancer.  It ain't no fun to be in serious pain from the sunburn effect, (ark eye) you forget,  Be aware of the effect of ultra violet to third parties who might be around such as children or dogs ect.  You forget  You suffer. Its all simple stuff to get right. 

Edited by Meece
  • Like 1
30 minutes ago, Chid said:

While I agree on near everything you said , you don't move backwards with a mig you move forwards , as you get better penatration and you also get better shielding from the gas 

You can go either way but, for King, being new to it, he'll find it easier to get a decent result  by drawing his welds back.

This video gives a pretty good explanation. 

• Like 2