Pleasant surprise

Been cooped up for a couple of days now, so at 8.00 pm took myself for a walk to my local tescos. Mainly just to get out, and to stock up on a few spices etc. Make a nice curry for tomorrow's match.  It's about a mile and a half from me as the crow flies, so I took a more rural route. Get to a spot where I've seen a few foxes over the years, still a pretty built up area, even though there are some 'wild' places en route. About 40ish yards in front of me, could make out a darkish shape just coming out of some cover just off the banking of the A470, so I stopped in my tracks and stood still. Looked to be a smallish pretty dark vixen, slowly nosing along, looking for mice or rats I expect. Watched her for about 5 minutes, til she disappeared, then carried on my way.

On way back, about 45 minutes later, I slowed down as I approached the same spot, well beggar me, a larger lighter coloured dog fox, I assumed, was sniffing around the same area as the vixen had a bit earlier. Watched him for about 10 minutes before he disappeard. Well happy, I haven't seen one there for a couple of years, then I see two within an hour lol. 

Nothing earth shattering I know lol, but I like seing them around 

• Like 16

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's weird how quickly hunters become naturalists. Killing animals is just a side issue. It just gives you an excuse/ reason to be in amongst nature. Many  a time I've raised a gun and never delivered

Been cooped up for a couple of days now, so at 8.00 pm took myself for a walk to my local tescos. Mainly just to get out, and to stock up on a few spices etc. Make a nice curry for tomorrow's match. 

Thing is that like most things , you develop this gold standard idea in your head of scenarios and what you envisage them happening . A nice stubble field in a summers day , a lurcher tearing around ,

Posted Images

Little encounters like that are nice mate, I spent an evening feeding a vixen and cubs at fishing once.

She ended up coming right up to me and taking biscuits literally at my feet.

One of the things I used to like about overnight mid week fishing, totally alone on a lake and all the wild things were happy to just go about their business and you could just sit and observe it all. 

My mum is one of those batty women who feed urban foxes and they are almost tame.

• Like 6

Kept foxes as pets for years. They don't become fully tame like a dog. The last two I had slept under the stove in the kitchen. 

Gave one to a friend of mine. He lives beside a big shooting lodge, went down to the bar every night with the fox. It say up on the counter, quite happily.  Everyone want a photo with the fox, and but my friend a drink for the privilege.  He did alright for him self lol.

Atb j 

• Like 6

I have fed Foxes for years one night I fed them 15 Rabbits and 1 Hare, one night they paid the price and 3 full grown Cubs got caught in Bodygrips in a twenty yard Stretch of fence , when this was a hunting Forum I used to put pictures up of Cubs that got caught up in Rabbit snares but I got fed up with all the Bleating and Howling. 

micks pics 093.jpg

micks pics 312.jpg

• Like 4
21 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

It's weird how quickly hunters become naturalists. Killing animals is just a side issue. It just gives you an excuse/ reason to be in amongst nature. Man a time I've raised a gun and never delivered a shot....just didn't seem right at the time. As an example I once folowed a fox for about half a mile in a screaming gale. Eventually I was within 20 yards of him and he turned round to face me. He seemed to say "come on then  get it over with". I aimed and then  put the gun down and said " f**k off, it's your lucky day". The older I get, I am becoming more of a naturalist and less of a hunter .

Can't even think of the amount of foxes I took over the years, and rabbits up and down the country. Wouldn't do it now, unless it was really necessary. As you said the older you get, the way you look at things differently. 

Atb j 

• Like 3
22 minutes ago, jetro said:

Can't even think of the amount of foxes I took over the years, and rabbits up and down the country. Wouldn't do it now, unless it was really necessary. As you said the older you get, the way you look at things differently. 

Atb j 

There's only so many sport kills in a man and once that number is reached your'll never kill for sport as such again......

Iv'e had some right old looks from keepers etc in the past when iv'e said i wish that fox could come back to life after the terrier has had a rag and iv'e wished that to every fox i have ever taken with a dog of any sort as it goes...

• Like 5

How come you've been cooped up matey, hope everything is ok, bin cooped up missen for a while, 26th January, I got up of the couch about 2 am to make a cup of tea next min im on the floor id passed out for some reason, split my forehead open, bitten my tongue and lost a tooth, I had to use superglue to stop the bleeding, now as for hunting and killing, must be an age thing, cos those days are done for me, not that I cant manage to get myself out, theres grey squirrels visit my garden daily, I stand n watch em feed, I enjoy it, I sorely miss a dog, but more so human company, I will stop now im getting morbid

• Like 3
54 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

It's weird how quickly hunters become naturalists. Killing animals is just a side issue. It just gives you an excuse/ reason to be in amongst nature. Many  a time I've raised a gun and never delivered a shot....just didn't seem right at the time. As an example I once folowed a fox for about half a mile in a screaming gale. Eventually I was within 20 yards of him and he turned round to face me. He seemed to say "come on then  get it over with". I aimed and then  put the gun down and said " f**k off, it's your lucky day". The older I get, I am becoming more of a naturalist and less of a hunter .

Exactly how I've been feeling the last few years mate. Just love watching wildlife for the sake of ?

• Like 2
12 hours ago, shaaark said:

Been cooped up for a couple of days now, so at 8.00 pm took myself for a walk to my local tescos. Mainly just to get out, and to stock up on a few spices etc. Make a nice curry for tomorrow's match.  It's about a mile and a half from me as the crow flies, so I took a more rural route. Get to a spot where I've seen a few foxes over the years, still a pretty built up area, even though there are some 'wild' places en route. About 40ish yards in front of me, could make out a darkish shape just coming out of some cover just off the banking of the A470, so I stopped in my tracks and stood still. Looked to be a smallish pretty dark vixen, slowly nosing along, looking for mice or rats I expect. Watched her for about 5 minutes, til she disappeared, then carried on my way.

On way back, about 45 minutes later, I slowed down as I approached the same spot, well beggar me, a larger lighter coloured dog fox, I assumed, was sniffing around the same area as the vixen had a bit earlier. Watched him for about 10 minutes before he disappeard. Well happy, I haven't seen one there for a couple of years, then I see two within an hour lol. 

Nothing earth shattering I know lol, but I like seing them around 

Sat at traffic lights down at cribs causeway Thursday 4:30 pm leaving site, watched a fox, wait for the traffic to stop before it crossed the road.... My mate got it on video, I get a copy and post it up?

Same day Lurcher bitch just missed one local just as it was getting dark.... Ran him into a rabbit spot, she marked him in..... And I left it...   Years ago I'd of went home and grabbed a terrier.... I enjoy sitting and just watching stuff these days as opposed to wiping stuff out... Its strange as you get older, attitudes change... The chase is as enjoyable as the catch and dispatch?

• Like 6
3 minutes ago, iworkwhippets said:

How come you've been cooped up matey, hope everything is ok, bin cooped up missen for a while, 26th January, I got up of the couch about 2 am to make a cup of tea next min im on the floor id passed out for some reason, split my forehead open, bitten my tongue and lost a tooth, I had to use superglue to stop the bleeding, now as for hunting and killing, must be an age thing, cos those days are done for me, not that I cant manage to get myself out, theres grey squirrels visit my garden daily, I stand n watch em feed, I enjoy it, I sorely miss a dog, but more so human company, I will stop now im getting morbid

Yeah I'm fine mate ?. Just been a bit under the weather, and a few injuries playing up.

Not being nosey or prying into your business here, but when you get up, are you getting up quickly? When I do it, I get vertigo and need to steady myself for a bit, or even sit back down, then remember to get up at a slower pace lol. 

Anyway, yeah I'm just as happy, or even more so, watching wildlife these days.

Look after yourself mate atb ?

ive had three different foxes in my field  this week pouncing on voels love watching them but when my  dogs see them through the window it's a nightmare knocking every thing off the window sill.

• Like 1