Pleasant surprise

50 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

“ at first I studied the fox in order to hunt it , now I hunt the Fox in order to study it “ 

Crenshaw kings for life motherfucker ! 

• Haha 1

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's weird how quickly hunters become naturalists. Killing animals is just a side issue. It just gives you an excuse/ reason to be in amongst nature. Many  a time I've raised a gun and never delivered

Been cooped up for a couple of days now, so at 8.00 pm took myself for a walk to my local tescos. Mainly just to get out, and to stock up on a few spices etc. Make a nice curry for tomorrow's match. 

Thing is that like most things , you develop this gold standard idea in your head of scenarios and what you envisage them happening . A nice stubble field in a summers day , a lurcher tearing around ,

Posted Images

1 hour ago, big sid said:

yes i think i know whats wrong with you lot, your eating to much vegan food and  listening to chwis packem, , ive been at them for near enough 40yr and still keen to get them,

There’s a time to kill, a time to harvest and a time to leave things alone imho.

Fox shooters are the worst offenders in my book, they would be at it every night where as a dog is only ever going to tackle a certain number every week and then only those that can be brought into slipping distance.

When you live in a place with a lot of quarry species you don’t give it much thought but when you live somewhere that has hardly any you think about it.......and for the last few years I have not killed anything other than a few crows and a couple of problem foxes 

• Like 7
24 minutes ago, WILF said:

There’s a time to kill, a time to harvest and a time to leave things alone imho.

Fox shooters are the worst offenders in my book, they would be at it every night where as a dog is only ever going to tackle a certain number every week and then only those that can be brought into slipping distance.

When you live in a place with a lot of quarry species you don’t give it much thought but when you live somewhere that has hardly any you think about it.......and for the last few years I have not killed anything other than a few crows and a couple of problem foxes 

I've loved hunting and fishing since I was first taken out at 6 years old.... I love nature even more...

Theres 3 roe visiting my garden and back field everyday, I've changed my walks with the dogs to avoid them...

The same as everyone, I've killed plenty of game but wasted none...killed a fair few foxes but not really my thing...I guess I'm more hunter gatherer than just hunter...I like something on the plate at the end of the day!! Lol..

I also think the antis just dont understand how much 90% of us love wildlife, it's all part of it...infact it's the main bit...seeing things that no one else even knows are there, or just drive right by...

• Like 8

YES YES YES  but your lovely foxywoxy is someone else's pest. new kid i also like to see deer....... right next to some roast tatties and peas   on my dinner plate, micky's right it used to be a good hunting site this.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, big sid said:

YES YES YES  but your lovely foxywoxy is someone else's pest. new kid i also like to see deer....... right next to some roast tatties and peas   on my dinner plate, micky's right it used to be a good hunting site this.

You are my hero you are ! Lol 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, big sid said:

yes i think i know whats wrong with you lot, your eating to much vegan food and  listening to chwis packem, , ive been at them for near enough 40yr and still keen to get them,

18 minutes ago, big sid said:

Sid, we're in the 'general talk' section ?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, NEWKID said:

I've loved hunting and fishing since I was first taken out at 6 years old.... I love nature even more...

Theres 3 roe visiting my garden and back field everyday, I've changed my walks with the dogs to avoid them...

The same as everyone, I've killed plenty of game but wasted none...killed a fair few foxes but not really my thing...I guess I'm more hunter gatherer than just hunter...I like something on the plate at the end of the day!! Lol..

I also think the antis just dont understand how much 90% of us love wildlife, it's all part of it...infact it's the main bit...seeing things that no one else even knows are there, or just drive right by...

Have you ever used a real good quality thermal imager mate?......if you have then you will know that it’s mind blowing just how much you DONT see when you are just out and about or out with the lamp.

I think I’m shaping up to get a breeding pair of birds of prey here on the little farm, don’t know what they are because I’m not right up on my birds but they were sat outside my kitchen window last week and are around all the time lately.

Ill try and get a decent picture and maybe some lads can tell me, they are small but not kestrels  so maybe Spars ?

• Like 1

I love hunting mate.... it's what I've known for a long time and I'm definitely a country lad...im fortunate where I live to walk out onto land that holds enough game to keep me interested... but I dont kill as much as I used too by a long way....never been into shooting....love seeing a dog run and that will never change..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, W. Katchum said:

My ole man taught me to hunt, then died, the selfish fcuker? uncles, an Grandad’s tried to make time for us but after we got the taste for it, it was all we wanted to do an usually ended up with a rag tag bunch a trampy wee boys out with borrowed dogs, harassing anything an everything truth be told. Wasn’t until I was about 14 an goin off rails badly that a guy who lived up street from us knew I knew a bit about nature an stuff am offered to take me bird watching ??anyways few times a week for a few years an I was still a naughty wee cnut but Nowhere near the path I was going down, but that’s what made me appreciate nature an have had a healthy respect for it ever since. 

kinda forgot me way a while back an it was all about numbers, surrounded by rabbits my kitchen was like a booze free pub most weekends with guys coming from all over to come lamp, but after having rabbit fever for a while again, an ole boy said to me at work one day, killing everything you can when you can don’t make you a hunter lad, it makes you a killer, now I’d rather have a few good days oot  with kids an mutts than one good day trying to get as many  as I could? still partial to the ole, one more slip an we call it a night, or, okay just try this one last field ?

Great post and the same here mate... bird watching, nesting, fishing, ferreting, lamping and all the bits in between...

Went through years of killing big numbers of rabbits, and loved it....this year I've put a ferret in the box a few nets and walked with the dogs..2s and 3s and loved it... still knock a bit over on the lamp...but dont lay in bed everytime the wind is blowing until I can take it no more and jump up and out..lol... 

• Like 1

Mickys an old fart with gout and other ailments ?looking back through rose tinted speckles..... Times have moved on... If you don't adapt, then your doing f**k all?

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, WILF said:

Have you ever used a real good quality thermal imager mate?......if you have then you will know that it’s mind blowing just how much you DONT see when you are just out and about or out with the lamp.

I think I’m shaping up to get a breeding pair of birds of prey here on the little farm, don’t know what they are because I’m not right up on my birds but they were sat outside my kitchen window last week and are around all the time lately.

Ill try and get a decent picture and maybe some lads can tell me, they are small but not kestrels  so maybe Spars ?

No mate I haven't, my mate is using a decent one now but not been out with him the last couple of years...I know its very handy when filling the freezer ?...

Got barn owls and kestrel nesting here, my mrs loves hearing the owl....

I get a buzz as soon as the swallows are back and buzzing about the place...

Walked the moors early this morning, skylarks were up and singing, few snipe put up by the dogs...not much I dont enjoy about the outdoors mate..

Edited by NEWKID
  • Like 3
2 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

No mate I haven't, my mate is using a decent one now but not been out with him the last couple of years...I know its very handy when filling the freezer ?...

Got barn owls and kestrel nesting here, my mrs loves hearing the owl....

I get a buzz as soon as the swallows are back and buzzing about the place...

Walked the moors early this morning, sky parks were up and singing, few snipe put up by the dogs...not much I dont enjoy about the outdoors mate..

Do you know the River Otter mate?.....down your neck of the woods but may be miles away for all I know.

Anyway, that was the first place I ever went fishing, just stopped there on the way home after my dad bought me a little fishing rod set up in Lyme Regis.

Was down there on a holiday/roam about type thing for a few weeks and I have loved all that part of England ever since.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, big sid said:

Oh and the fox being someone's pest etc... I agree...but it ain't my job to deal with them as pest control...I'm a self confessed hobby hunter, always have been, the lads doing pest control for a living ain't using lurchers...

I clear rabbits for people, but would never pretend I'm a pest controller...I'm not...I like hunting and am lucky to have a fair amount of permission to do what I enjoy on....pest control!! No f***ing chance, that would mean crawling through nettles and brambles all summer ferreting...f**k.that..lol

Edited by NEWKID
  • Like 2
3 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

Great post and the same here mate... bird watching, nesting, fishing, ferreting, lamping and all the bits in between...

Went through years of killing big numbers of rabbits, and loved it....this year I've put a ferret in the box a few nets and walked with the dogs..2s and 3s and loved it... still knock a bit over on the lamp...but dont lay in bed everytime the wind is blowing until I can take it no more and jump up and out..lol... 

Lol was reminiscing about [BANNED TEXT] I was a kid, nesting, fishing etc etc, the other night. Tried explaining what 'nesting' was to my youngest lad AGAIN, after he was showing interest in the outdoors a while back. 'What's the point in that?' He asked. Tried explaining, 'huh, seems pointless to me' he scoffed, so I let him go back to his bedroom, and his FAAACKIN X-BOX LIVE or whatever it's f****n called!! Lol

• Haha 1