Pleasant surprise

3 minutes ago, WILF said:

Do you know the River Otter mate?.....down your neck of the woods but may be miles away for all I know.

Anyway, that was the first place I ever went fishing, just stopped there on the way home after my dad bought me a little fishing rod set up in Lyme Regis.

Was down there on a holiday/roam about type thing for a few weeks and I have loved all that part of England ever since.

Yes mate, I know it well...it has beavers on it now...

About 25 minutes from me, I fish where it meets the sea at Budleigh...

My mate fishes it for sea trout ..casting a fly in the dark.aint my thing!! Lol

• Like 1

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's weird how quickly hunters become naturalists. Killing animals is just a side issue. It just gives you an excuse/ reason to be in amongst nature. Many  a time I've raised a gun and never delivered

Been cooped up for a couple of days now, so at 8.00 pm took myself for a walk to my local tescos. Mainly just to get out, and to stock up on a few spices etc. Make a nice curry for tomorrow's match. 

Thing is that like most things , you develop this gold standard idea in your head of scenarios and what you envisage them happening . A nice stubble field in a summers day , a lurcher tearing around ,

Posted Images

1 minute ago, sid g said:

and hes posted more than his share of none hunting related shite over the years  ...

Are you being obstinate on purpose sid, or is it you just don't realise? Whilst THE HUNTING LIFE is a hunting related forum, there are many sub sections for people to talk and express their interests,  hobbies, etc etc. It's not all about hunting. I'll remind you again, this is the GENERAL TALK section ?

• Confused 1
1 minute ago, shaaark said:

Are you being obstinate on purpose sid, or is it you just don't realise? Whilst THE HUNTING LIFE is a hunting related forum, there are many sub sections for people to talk and express their interests,  hobbies, etc etc. It's not all about hunting. I'll remind you again, this is the GENERAL TALK section ?

Wrong Sid mate

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
4 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

Yes mate, I know it well...it has beavers on it now...

About 25 minutes from me, I fish where it meets the sea at Budleigh...

My mate fishes it for sea trout ..casting a fly in the dark.aint my thing!! Lol

Lovely mate, I still have the occasional look online at property down that way.....little old chapels and churches, stuff like that.

Wonderful part of the world.

I did a few bits in the chewing gum factory at Exeter and it’s great to see fallow just grazing outside the office windows.

Are they building much new housing down there like they are in the Home Counties ? 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, jukel123 said:

It's weird how quickly hunters become naturalists. Killing animals is just a side issue. It just gives you an excuse/ reason to be in amongst nature. Many  a time I've raised a gun and never delivered a shot....just didn't seem right at the time. As an example I once folowed a fox for about half a mile in a screaming gale. Eventually I was within 20 yards of him and he turned round to face me. He seemed to say "come on then  get it over with". I aimed and then  put the gun down and said " f**k off, it's your lucky day". The older I get, I am becoming more of a naturalist and less of a hunter .

Just a few days ago I stopped the car just outside my village and moved a dead hare off the road and put it under the hedge .....it just didn't seem right it laying there on a drain cover.....rotting a way and getting smashed up by motors....I would have dog fooded  it...but it had been there while....seemed more dignified to lay under the hedge feeding the Hawthorne in years to come....unless a badger or fox find it...

• Like 7
16 minutes ago, WILF said:

Lovely mate, I still have the occasional look online at property down that way.....little old chapels and churches, stuff like that.

I did a few bits in the chewing gum factory at Exeter and it’s great to see fallow just grazing outside the office windows.

Are they building much new housing down there like they are in the Home Counties ? 

That's in Plymouth mate, the Wrigleys factory...

That's meant to be the oldest herd of fallow in the country, they have had to make access all over the estate through fences to allow them to roam, they are everywhere down there...I've built around 20 units on that estate and you'll be stood watching herds of them when you're working...interesting dog walks at lunchtime..?

Housing yes...Exeter is changing rapidly mate...a could of huge estates with own infrastructure on the edge of the city...traffic around the city is a nightmare...

I'm around 3 mile west of Exeter now and theres nowhere to build close to me....the town has changed loads mate...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, W. Katchum said:

My ole man taught me to hunt, then died, the selfish fcuker? uncles, an Grandad’s tried to make time for us but after we got the taste for it, it was all we wanted to do an usually ended up with a rag tag bunch a trampy wee boys out with borrowed dogs, harassing anything an everything truth be told. Wasn’t until I was about 14 an goin off rails badly that a guy who lived up street from us knew I knew a bit about nature an stuff am offered to take me bird watching ??anyways few times a week for a few years an I was still a naughty wee cnut but Nowhere near the path I was going down, but that’s what made me appreciate nature an have had a healthy respect for it ever since. 

kinda forgot me way a while back an it was all about numbers, surrounded by rabbits my kitchen was like a booze free pub most weekends with guys coming from all over to come lamp, but after having rabbit fever for a while again, an ole boy said to me at work one day, killing everything you can when you can don’t make you a hunter lad, it makes you a killer, now I’d rather have a few good days oot  with kids an mutts than one good day trying to get as many  as I could? still partial to the ole, one more slip an we call it a night, or, okay just try this one last field ?

Had some good nights out up yours mate (and a couple game fairs ?

;)

5 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

That's in Plymouth mate, the Wrigleys factory...

That's meant to be the oldest herd of fallow in the country, they have had to make access all over the estate through fences to allow them to roam, they are everywhere down there...I've built around 20 units on that estate and you'll be stood watching herds of them when you're working...interesting dog walks at lunchtime..?

Housing yes...Exeter is changing rapidly mate...a could of huge estates with own infrastructure on the edge of the city...traffic around the city is a nightmare...

I'm around 3 mile west of Exeter now and theres nowhere to build close to me....the town has changed loads mate...

That’s right Plymouth, my mistake.

Nice they can’t get too close to you mate, always a bonus.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

I do it all time up dales with Bunnies an pheasant that’s been hit, travel same road 4 times a day a lot of days an I find if you put it too side or over wall or wherever away from road it gets all’s sorts attention, yet leave it inroad an it usually crows that feed off it ?

if someone saw a dead bunny on the road around here, time team would come out. 

• Haha 1
34 minutes ago, WILF said:

The cost of property around Exeter is mental mate...even more so around Salcombe or Dartmouth area...

But it is a great place to live still, I know we're lucky down here to be honest...

This was my walk at 6-30 this morning 3 hours just me and Balaur (off here) not another soul around at that time...on dartmoor 20 minutes west and the sea is 20 minutes east...I never complain mate

20200307_075628.jpg.80625ba6600660c532053fb3133b28a6.jpg

20200307_074146.jpg.16e9c184566d6ad38b871dbf7173fd03.jpg

• Like 7
10 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

The cost of property around Exeter is mental mate...even more so around Salcombe or Dartmouth area...

But it is a great place to live still, I know we're lucky down here to be honest...

This was my walk at 6-30 this morning 3 hours just me and Balaur (off here) not another soul around at that time...on dartmoor 20 minutes west and the sea is 20 minutes east...I never complain mate

20200307_075628.jpg.80625ba6600660c532053fb3133b28a6.jpg

20200307_074146.jpg.16e9c184566d6ad38b871dbf7173fd03.jpg

Lovely mate, I’m having a trip down that way for a couple of days soon to hopefully fill my van up.....lots of nice things sensibly prices down there.

Im quiet looking forward to it, driving about and seeing the scenery, buying nice bits......much better than having a real job ! Haha 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, W. Katchum said:

Not as busy these days but still more than welcome anytime pal ??

Not been back to Blighty for a proper break, for years mate... Everytime, it's bloody work related.

I'm hoping to get over for the Scarfel walk. Might even bring the w@nker with me ? ;) fuucking a day and a half travelling with him though ?‍♂️

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, WILF said:

Lovely mate, I’m having a trip down that way for a couple of days soon to hopefully fill my van up.....lots of nice things sensibly prices down there.

Im quiet looking forward to it, driving about and seeing the scenery, buying nice bits......much better than having a real job ! Haha 

Let me know mate and I'll get the kettle on...?

• Like 1