Deerhounds

7 minutes ago, lurchers said:

Plus if ya look in far ya 1st book he brought out you will se a doxhope bitch that was one of the dogs that pulled the 2 deer the story is about a dog called fly,bullx bitch which was a fast dog but a pile of crap the deerhoundx was a doxhope dog and as for Copeland dogs he has never worked one in his life just a peddler who jumped on the band wagon like Andy Barron.but I hope the dog does you proud as they are a good house dog to.

Who's cope land. Fecks I know if you mea. Cookland those are based on doxehope and produced there's o e thing in this world I find his this with livestock can o e produce from non tested stuff of course they can that's not ta say cookland stuff ain't tested it his what it his I kept livezto k to long to know all lines produ e failures lots of things gave adverse affects at times but there you go you yourself lur her should well know this. Atb bill

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lovely old running dogs,...I'm pleased that a few lads still fancy owning some of these beautiful animals.. My old stock were bred directly off an Ardkinglas Deerhound dog over a tremendously wel

There you go shark ?genuine articles ?

nice ttle film that mick.....what just shows them deerhounds back then ...looked more like the half crosses of today....

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, lurchers said:

Plus if ya look in far ya 1st book he brought out you will se a doxhope bitch that was one of the dogs that pulled the 2 deer the story is about a dog called fly,bullx bitch which was a fast dog but a pile of crap the deerhoundx was a doxhope dog and as for Copeland dogs he has never worked one in his life just a peddler who jumped on the band wagon like Andy Barron.but I hope the dog does you proud as they are a good house dog to.

Listen fa what it's worth going off track abit I seen alsation xs pull reds it's not a out how big one's ego his fa me I rarely fail with jukels or any livestock fa that matter so there we go. Hell keep. The bottom of the bed wRm atb bill

Ive seen Deerhoundx work out on the hill from early 90s on hard land 1/2x 7/8x 5/8 reverse x and a few pure and all these did there job they where meant to. The above crosses could all do there job and the best pure I seen was an AW bred bitch up Caithness, Ive mentioned the bitch before but she ended up getting shot off a toff. There was an AB bred dog ran with these other dogs but it was not of the standard of the others but that is the only AB bred dog Ive seen so cant judge them all off just one dog Ive seen tbh.I owned a decent 3/4 Deerhoundx mid 80s and back then a lot of the good fox/deer dogs kicking about where Deerhoundx. There are still people working pures but they are thin on the ground but they are about.The Lurcher world runs in cycles and it seems the Deerhoundx is now back in vogue so it should be good for the breed. The Deerhoundx is just like any other Lurcher breed, you have to find the stuff that has genuinely seen graft. The trouble with Deerhoundx is its easier to get them from untested/peddled stock, they are not like say a colliex or bullx or a saluki x which are all easy enough to find from working stuff and there are also numerous sources to get these crosses from. Hopefully now the Deerhoundx seem to be back in vogue they will be in the hands of lads who will graft them which at the end of the day is definitely beneficial to the breed. jmo

Edited by MickC
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, lurchers said:

Andy barrons from I seen was shit I’ve only come back on here because of this thread,we had a Andy Barron dog out one night with our deerhoundxgreyhounds and it was the biggest pile of crap I had seen in the breed.we done a all nighter then daytime to see if it could do the job and guess what I wouldn’t of give it kennel room.all of ours were doxhope bred 1st and 2nd crosses they were keen at 12mths on everything if you treat them like a normal lurcher.the last one I had come from John slack stuff but I knew were the dog come from and they never let you down either.i put a whippet over my last doxhope bitch back in 2001 the bitches made 23tts and the dogs 25tts everyone who got one was well pleased with them and they done teeth without hesitation most people crab them like they do with border terriers saying they take ages to come on but they have never owned either.treat them like a normal working dog and you will get a shock.here is a pic of slack stuff and the one off doxhope back onto a whippet which I sent the dam to Jeff fenorolli for hole ending with his doxhope dog.i ran these for over 20yrs and like I said they all done what you wanted them to do by the time they were 2yrs old.by the way bill I don’t know you would try knight school to learn English on how to spell as feck me your English is crap enjoy.

4AF48B84-4370-4879-A2B1-4783EF4E7C3A.png

6D93496E-A987-4EA0-96D1-9D09481D3201.png

9B0012BF-44F6-4C5A-BD1A-BE9071A54AD1.png

6376A8AA-DEF9-476E-9E82-3EA624150C29.png

It say it all when you said you send the dam to another fella for hole ending along with his dog or have I pick this up wrong 

32 minutes ago, sandymere said:

"more bright" ?. According to THLs very own Galileo Galilei.

?

Any film of deerhounds coursing Billy? 

But back to the subject in hand deerhounds. I feel that at 30" they have just become to big, basically show dogs, any that do manage do so more in spite of rather than because of their size. Go back to real working animals and you find nearer 26". At that time they likely could to Moore than exercise a hare. ?

Sandy I k ow full well about size limitations etc etc  who wants something thirty two inch fa a runner any way  ya being very naive  get a grip go put the sunbed on and heat lamp fa yaself and them galagos frosty night afoot atb bill

5 minutes ago, milliken said:

It say it all when you said you send the dam to another fella for hole ending along with his dog or have I pick this up wrong 

No you ain't wro g them his words neva. Eeded a hole ender I'mn my days but that's another story fecks sake. Atb bill

The f1 second gen bitch we had could catch long ears quite well anywhere Charlie's she was okay heavier teeth just okay. She was bred ta s bull xs they were very good on feed back then she went to a f1 Mike brown whippet xs grey these were very handy some rough some smooth bitches around twenty two males larger  I had a bitch from this union but she came very light fa me I gifted her ta a lass  fa Coneys  so I ha e abit of k now ledge of W h atz capabley first lurcher around maybe thirteen was a f1 second gen deerhound grey lon long time ago he was catching longears twelve mths dead at thirteen parvo  long time ago   I seen a few work lurcher so I knows what could be achieved with the egg oght handler why would you treat them any different than  any other type of jukel. Atb bill

Never fancied or owned an F1 Deerhound/Greyhound. Nor a 3/4 or anything else with just those two breeds involved.... 

But in my time I have seen some fantastic 'Deerhoundy' lurchers that ran the spectrum. Dogs that, to me, are all what a true lurcher is and should be...

I'd always champion this cross, they can be true allrounders (if there is such a thing) and long before Plummer brainwashed the country about collie crosses. Or them desert dogs and USA tough guys from across the oceans got here...

Back in the day them 'deerhoundy' hybrids were killing rabbits, hares, foxes and deer aplenty... 

3 minutes ago, Blackmag said:

Bill if the pup does has you want do you have plans of breeding from it 

Black mag not xed my mind but if some one eNted ta use him i would possibly consider let them use him it's simple  I would not breed him my self  I have offers ta breed br. oods fa folk and do the rearing for them but cana be aused. That's not fa me. Atb bill

• Like 1
Just now, billhardy said:

Black mag not xed my mind but if some one eNted ta use him i would possibly consider let them use him it's simple  I would not breed him my self  I have offers ta breed br. oods fa folk and do the rearing for them but cana be aused. That's not fa me. Atb bill

Let me say geared up back here da a couple large size broods greyhounds deerhound space a kennel room a plenty at the moment the little deerhound welp looks lost but hey I have no doubt he will grow in ta the space lol atb bill

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, milliken said:

Sorry I should of said he hounded me for the dog,his intentions were to put his doxhope dog over this doxhope bitch and there would of been a pup for me,it’s just a deal we had done plus we both keep or Jeff kept borders till he passed away but that bitch was supposed to of come back to me as when he passed he told his wife to put all his dogs to sleep,as he didn’t want them going to other people but i never got the bitch back or know where it went to.

5 minutes ago, lurchers said:

Sorry I should of said he hounded me for the dog,his intentions were to put his doxhope dog over this doxhope bitch and there would of been a pup for me,it’s just a deal we had done plus we both keep or Jeff kept borders till he passed away but that bitch was supposed to of come back to me as when he passed he told his wife to put all his dogs to sleep,as he didn’t want them going to other people but i never got the bitch back or know where it went to.

That's ashame then really but that livestock hard earned T get them can be lost in a moment. My mate mick rip rNca pure he had him on the islands decades ago he was OK but not really ad uitable fa running conies on sand y hole ridden Warrens he came as cropper ran in ta something  but he got o er that. Atb bill