Bedlington x Greyhound

7 minutes ago, fred90 said:

I don't believe f1 is the finished article because I. don't believe the finished article exists. everything can be improved upon man or beast. 

There again fred, the finished article for some, would be the start of the second stage for others ?

• Like 1

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Personally, I prefer to see things, with my own eyes,...and then, come to a conclusion...I believe it is always the fairest way..?.

Good sensible comments lads... I know for a fact, that certain coursing Studs can command a high price for their services, and any resulting pups will not be sold cheap. Obviously, when a br

Aggression is often confused with gameness imo. I've seen plenty of gassy aggressive dogs' arse fall out when things get real.  

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Saltmoon said:

Personally I think all dogs are totally different to each other although mines not f1 but mostly made of beddy grey in happy with him and that's all that matters id like to get a deerhound based dog in the future again they have mixed views but could very well be really well suited to me ?‍♂️ who know

They are mate this f1 bedlington xpeas in pod stuff cracks me up it’s only based on looks not individual dog there all different.thats it ty the only thing that counts in the dog game is your happy with what ya got??On the Internet it’s all theory’s an small talk nothing more ??Tbh mate I can see you with a deerhound x greyhound given the size of ya ?? I think I’m the same once I can’t get what I need to suit me from heavy bred  bedlington bred Lurchers I’ll be having a change of cross I’ll be putting other none traditional blood in there I’m doing less an less ferreting these days an more lamping so in my eyes if rabbits still carry on in decline there’s no alternative for me but to add a bit of bull/Wheaton to the mix I like the sound of saluki greyhound bull greyhound I’ve had my eye on 2dogs for a few years now but we’re see how these 2 go I’ve got on now first 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, two crows said:

every lurcher can be considered the finished if its full potential has been realised its just some are more finished than others.

Imagine the saluki guys though the same if there was a f1 Sal/grey finish article they wouldn’t be were they are today they would of folded at the first gate there would be no match dogs like today no lines I think the match guys have got there heads screwed on right tbh best to best to keep the best lines going shame the bedlington greyhound loyalists don’t breed the same ?

• Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, poxon said:

They are mate this f1 bedlington xpeas in pod stuff cracks me up it’s only based on looks not individual dog there all different.thats it ty the only thing that counts in the dog game is your happy with what ya got??On the Internet it’s all theory’s an small talk nothing more ??Tbh mate I can see you with a deerhound x greyhound given the size of ya ?? I think I’m the same once I can’t get what I need to suit me from heavy bred  bedlington bred Lurchers I’ll be having a change of cross I’ll be putting other none traditional blood in there I’m doing less an less ferreting these days an more lamping so in my eyes if rabbits still carry on in decline there’s no alternative for me but to add a bit of bull/Wheaton to the mix I like the sound of saluki greyhound bull greyhound I’ve had my eye on 2dogs for a few years now but we’re see how these 2 go I’ve got on now first 

Haha that's true look like a normal size dog with me ?. See I'm not going down the bull x road I do like the Wheaton look and people say good things about them but I think I'll give a deer x grey a go next but see what's about when I'm looking im not set on any type really but would like a deerhound based x 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, budgie123 said:

Through discussion I have had numerous times with my mate we both think the 1st Cross is the finished article and breeding on what real benefits would be delivered.

Would there be any improvement in the working ability we fail to see where for what we do.

My mate had a dog in the eighties bred from George Newcombes Blue and evey single dog in the litter was top notch dogs taking all quarry including anything with teeth but the intelligence and tractability of them was also truly top class.

They were bred on with a litter of 3/4 crosses close to my mate.

Every dog was dead by 3 years old quite a number from road traffic accidents because the level of tractability was poor. 

My mate went back to George to breed another litter out of Blue but it would no longer stand to bitches.

The  breeding on in this case delivery very little but obviously other people will have differing views.

A lad in Cumbria is coming ferreting with us and he may breed from the dog if his bitch makes the grade and I will possibly look at these if he breeds.

How is the lad in cumbria bitch bred budgie 123 ?

1 minute ago, poxon said:

Imagine the saluki guys though the same if there was a f1 Sal/grey finish article they wouldn’t be were they are today they would of folded at the first gate there would be no match dogs like today no lines I think the match guys have got there heads screwed on right tbh best to best to keep the best lines going shame the bedlington greyhound loyalists don’t breed the same ?

the problem with traditional lurcher owners is their ideals differ to much, for it to be possible to achieve a std dog, and kennel blindness to a point, when you look for a coursing stud you use the best even if you hate the owner, lol.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
16 minutes ago, two crows said:

the problem with traditional lurcher owners is their ideals differ to much, for it to be possible to achieve a std dog, and kennel blindness to a point, when you look for a coursing stud you use the best even if you hate the owner, lol.

I think your right there crows 100% ??

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, two crows said:

some times you just have to hold your tongue...to get that lining..lurchers or terriers??

• Like 2

Ive had 3 beddy whippet crosses all done all ive asked of them. Great noses all imo naturals at ferreting. All taken teeth tho bit of a battle to finish when caught. All taken munty & roe. Caught a good few hares. But there main quarry was rbts ( when we had some round here) great house dogs & quiet in kennels only had one open up but that was mainly due To frustration when she got to bout 10 yrs old. All bomb proof around stock. If i was younger i’d deffo go for a beddy whpt x grey just to get bit more height. But in all honesty i was constantly surprised at what they could do. Atb 

• Like 2

the problem lurcher breeders have is that the dog that gives the desirable traits is the base type, so first cross goes to grey hound good traits diluted, first cross goes to base breed, loss of speed, so without adding another lurcher its harder to create a perfect type without compromising a generation here and there, with coursing dogs saluki can catch a hare in pure form, so first cross gets coursing brain and endurance from saluki bit more pace from greyhound, but in the beginning of the coursing dogs development it was not all about first crosses, lads were adding saluki blood to existing lurcher/longdog  types to improve coursing ability, and it is this thinking that has created what we have and we don't need greyhound any more to me it is detrimental, a outcross to saluki now and then seems to produce good dogs.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Bearfoot said:

If your after puss that will work we’re talking about terrier blood  two totally different things without greyhound you have no speed without terreir you have no guts simple really that  will never change ✌️

just generalising  my old duck lol the lad commented on creating a good general lurcher type nothing more, but while your on I think a fast type coursing stud would offer far more than a greyhound to terrier blood for what you seem to want, and that is just mho so wont be debating it lol.