Lakeland’s

I can

52 minutes ago, dillydog said:

His 5th dig was 5 hour plus, I put the picture up a couple of years ago,  this beauty wa's supposed to be a  quick easy place 

IMG-20190115-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20190115-WA0001.jpg

I can see the £ signs now new breed working chocolate Lakelands the next big craze lol hope he continues to work well for you

• Haha 2

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My old lad getting on now

Some of the dogs bred down the line from many years

B+T dog started off well   

Posted Images

Lakelands were outclassed (or outworked) by black dogs years ago. The black dogs were better, full stop!

Not that there wern't any decent grafting Lakies, there were and Glyn is dead right about Llangollen all those years ago.

The last digging Lakies i seen was 35 years ago. Dogs from Cyril Tyson, John Cowan and a couple off Middleton but not his show stuff.

A couple of dogs came to north Liverpool direct from Tyson and were dug to for years, the pups out of them also.

A mate of mine from Wigan had a bitch off Cowan and she was very good, though wreckless on foxes. She was put to a Tyson dog and i had a pup out of them. I was a kid and my pup seen a bit of everything and was dug to plenty over the years but his litter brother and sister were sound digging dogs.

Middleton did keep decent digging Lakies too, dogs out of old Jock. I've seen them graft and a mate of mine dug with Gary regular over the years and knew what those dogs could do.

But like i said Lakies, like the Border before, lost out to the black dogs and rightly so....

A question for the more experienced lads,  I completely agree with what bosun says. That's one of the reasons why the Lakelands and borders have died out simply because the blacks are better. since I started properly with the terriers. Everything I have seen dug to has almost 100% been black, 

My question is why when you talk to the old boys people that have been doing the job for years they say the Lakelands was honest dogs.. so why did they seem to just give way to the blacks? 

1 hour ago, Rat face said:

A question for the more experienced lads,  I completely agree with what bosun says. That's one of the reasons why the Lakelands and borders have died out simply because the blacks are better. since I started properly with the terriers. Everything I have seen dug to has almost 100% been black, 

My question is why when you talk to the old boys people that have been doing the job for years they say the Lakelands was honest dogs.. so why did they seem to just give way to the blacks? 

Because the bull terrier was added and the reason was a dog that very rarely got pushed around and was a dog that would die working, must have took the no surrender attitude from the bull in them too where size didn’t matter to them in their minds

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rat face said:

firstly there are still a fair few good lakeys around i dug to one this season from a long line of workers but from what i saw in my area , there were a few reasons , without doubt the Show scene had a huge impact on the lakeland/fell type , studs were used for what they did in the show ring not in the ground , another thing was the standard of terrierman , some very well known  north walians and over the border thought nothing of doubling up and more !!!  they also didn't have the bottle to carry on as things got dodgy so spent there glory days in the summer months showing  and the selling buying dealing in dogs few ever breeding to improve workers   but the main thing as  Bosun11 has said was without doubt the black dogs  the single handed working  terrier   and the terriermen who had a plan :) 

• Like 5