Suicide Question ......

There you go again ,thinking I should be like you .Save the pity mate ,it's another weakness I can do without .

I really am the arrogant ,racist, uncaring c**t you dare not say I am .

I'm neither ashamed nor thrive on it ,it's just me .

Dare not say it lol aye cause im famous for holding back my words!

who the fucks talking about racism!

• Like 1

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Im reading this and really trying not to reply the way I want to,for ive a sister thats clinically depressed,schizophrenic, and just down right messed up since she reached 23....before that...a perfec

Without going into to much detail the wife had a breakdown some years ago ,any suggestion of a doctor was treated as an admission of guilt on her part,until a major episode led to her going to see the

suicide is a permanant solution to a temporary problem.

Posted Images

I find it hard to believe that anyone could just walk away if somebody was kicking their legs, scrabbling at their throat and frantically trying not to breath their last....

They wouldn't. He's talking pishh

He would and isn't.

There you go again ,thinking I should be like you .Save the pity mate ,it's another weakness I can do without .

I really am the arrogant ,racist, uncaring c**t you dare not say I am .

I'm neither ashamed nor thrive on it ,it's just me .

Dare not say it lol aye cause im famous for holding back my words!

who the fucks talking about racism!

Just describing myself mate ,just to give you better insight .

Oh and I like how you moved away from the fact you believe scientifically proven illness are make believe but I'd still class you as a rounded Allen key c**t if I'm honest

post 1 scientific paper that proves depression then.
tell ya what, just Google depression study numb nuts or anything similar and I'm sure you'll get a few results

How long has depression. Autism. Bi polar ect been around for ?

Depression has always been a health problem for human beings. Historical documents written by healers, philosophers, and writers throughout the ages point to the long-standing existence of depression as a health problem, and the continuous and sometimes ingenious struggles people have made to find effective ways to treat this illness.

Depression was initially called "melancholia". The earliest accounts of melancholia appeared in ancient Mesopotamian texts in the second millennium B.C. At this time, all mental illnesses were attributed to demonic possession, and were attended to by priests. In contrast, a separate class of "physicians" treated physical injuries (but not conditions like depression). The first historical understanding of depression was thus that depression was a spiritual (or mental) illness rather than a physical one.

Ancient Greeks and Romans were divided in their thinking about the causes of melancholia. Literature of the time was filled with references to mental illness caused by spirits or demons. In the 5th century B.C., the Greek historian Herodotus wrote about a king who was driven mad by evil spirits. The early Babylonian, Chinese, and Egyptian civilizations also viewed mental illness as a form of demonic possession, and used exorcism techniques (such as beatings, restraint, and starvation) designed to drive demons out of the afflicted person's body as treatments. In contrast, early Roman and Greek doctors thought that depression was both a biological and psychological disease. Gymnastics, massage, special diets, music, and baths, as well as a concoction of poppy extract and donkey's milk were used to alleviate depressive symptoms.

Hippocrates, a Greek physician, suggested that personality traits and mental illnesses were related to balanced or imbalanced body fluids called humours. There were four of these humours: yellow bile, black bile, phlegm and blood. Hippocrates classified mental illnesses into categories that included mania, melancholia (depression), and phrenitis (brain fever). Hippocrates thought that melancholia was caused by too much black bile in the spleen. He used bloodletting (a supposedly therapeutic technique which removed blood from the body), bathing, exercise, and dieting to treat depression. In contrast to Hippocrates' view, the famous Roman philosopher and statesman Cicero argued that melancholia was caused by violent rage, fear and grief; a mental explanation rather than a physical one.

In the last years before Christ, the influence of Hippocrates faded, and the predominant view among educated Romans was that mental illnesses like depression were caused by demons and by the anger of the gods. For instance, Cornelius Celsus (25BC-50 AD) recommended starvation, shackles (leg irons), and beating as "treatments." In contrast, Persian physicians such as Rhazes (865-925), the chief doctor at Baghdad hospital, continued to view the brain as the seat of mental illness and melancholia. Treatments for mental illness often involved hydrotherapy (baths) and early forms of behavior therapy (positive rewards for appropriate behavior).

After the fall of the Roman empire in the 5th century, scientific thinking about the causes of mental illness and depression again regressed. During the Middle Ages, religious beliefs, specifically Christianity, dominated popular European explanations of mental illness. Most people thought that mentally ill people were possessed by the devil, demons, or witches and were capable of infecting others with their madness. Treatments of choice included exorcisms, and other more barbaric strategies such as drowning and burning. A small minority of doctors continued to believe that mental illness was caused by imbalanced bodily humors, poor diet, and grief. Some depressed people were tied up or locked away in "lunatic asylums".

During the Renaissance, which began in Italy in the 14th century and spread throughout Europe in the 16th and 17th centuries, thinking about mental illness was characterized by both forward progress and regression. On the one hand, witch-hunts and executions of the mentally ill were quite common throughout Europe. On the other hand, some doctors returned to the views of Hippocrates, asserting that mental illnesses were due to natural causes, and that witches were actually mentally disturbed people in need of humane medical treatment.

In 1621, Robert Burton published Anatomy of Melancholy, in which he described the psychological and social causes (such as poverty, fear and solitude) of depression. In this encyclopedic work, he recommended diet, exercise, distraction, travel, purgatives (cleansers that purge the body of toxins), bloodletting, herbal remedies, marriage, and even music therapy as treatments for depression.

During the beginning of the Age of Enlightenment (the 18th and early 19th centuries), it was thought that depression was an inherited, unchangeable weakness of temperament, which lead to the common thought that affected people should be shunned or locked up. As a result, most people with mental illnesses became homeless and poor, and some were committed to institutions.

A variety of complex explanations for depression came into being during the latter part of the Age of Enlightenment. Some doctors and authors suggested that aggression was the real root of depression. They advocated exercise, music, drugs and diet, and stressed the importance of discussing problems with a close friend, or a doctor. Others thought that depression was caused by an internal conflict between unacceptable impulses and a person's conscience. In contrast, advances in general medical knowledge caused other scientists to believe in and search for organic (physical) causes of depression.

Towards the beginning of the 19th century, new therapies for depression included water immersion (keeping people under water for as long as possible without drowning them) and a special spinning stool to induce dizziness (to rearrange the contents of the brain into the correct positions). In addition, Benjamin Franklin introduced an early form of electroshock therapy. Horseback riding, special diets, enemas and vomiting were also recommended therapy.

Depression was first distinguished from schizophrenia in 1895 by the German psychiatrist Emil Kraepelin. During this same period, psychodynamic theory was invented and psychoanalysis (the psychotherapy based upon the psychodynamic theory) became increasingly popular as a treatment for depression. In a 1917 essay, Sigmund Freud explained melancholia as a response to loss: either real loss (such as the death of a spouse), or symbolic loss (such as the failure to achieve an important goal). Freud believed that a person's unconscious anger over loss weakened the ego, resulting in self-hate and self-destructive behavior. Freud advocated psychoanalysis (the "talking cure") to resolve unconscious conflicts and reduce the need for self-abusive thoughts and behavior. Other doctors during this time viewed depression as a physical disease and a brain disorder.

Treatments during the late 19th and early 20th centuries were usually inadequate for people with severe depression. As a result, many desperate people were treated with lobotomy (the surgical destruction of the frontal portion of a person's brain which had become popular as a "calming" treatment at this time). Lobotomies were often unsuccessful, causing personality changes, inability to make decisions, and poor judgment; or worse, coma and sometimes death. Electroconvulsive therapy (discussed in a later section of our paper), was a popular treatment for schizophrenics, but this treatment was also used for depressed people.

Influenced by hundreds of years of back and forth debate as to whether depression was best thought of as a mental or physical problem, and by increasing knowledge of the brain and brain chemistry, the medical community of the 1950s and 60's accepted a classification that divided depression into subtypes based on supposed causes of the disorder. "Endogenous" depression came from within the body and was caused by genetics or some other physical problem. People with endogenous depression were supposed to view themselves as the source of their own suffering and to think that everything was their fault. Their emotional pain was thought to be unaffected by the attitudes or responses of the people around them.

In contrast, "neurotic" or "reactive" depression was caused by some significant change in the environment, such as the death of a spouse, or other significant loss, such as the loss of a job. Individuals with reactive depression were thought to feel isolated, victimized and abandoned, and to view the cause of their problems as something external to themselves. People with reactive depression were thought to develop somatic (physical) symptoms and to make suicide attempts as a means of mobilizing support from the people around them.

The 1950s were also important in the search for organic causes and treatments for mental illness. In 1952, doctors noticed that a tuberculosis medication (isoniazid) was also useful in treating people with depression. Shortly after this significant finding, the practice of using medications to treat mental illness gained full steam. In response, psychiatry, which had previously looked to psychotherapy as their therapy of choice, started to emphasize the use of medications as primary treatments for mental illnesses. During the same period, evolving theories in psychology added to the approaches of psychotherapy. Behaviorism, and the Cognitive-Behavioral school of thought, as well as Client-centered (Humanistic) therapy, and Family Systems therapies joined Psychodynamic psychotherapy as popular treatment options. We will discuss these psychological theories, including what they have to say about the causes of and treatments for depression in more detail in a later section of this document.

Currently, rather than adopting either the mind or the body explanation of depression, scientists and mental health practitioners recognize that depressive symptoms have multiple causes. In other words, in the current view, depression can be caused by both mental and physical causes at the same time. It is no longer necessary to choose a single cause, as no single cause is going to be sufficient to explain and account for all varieties of depression. Because it has become the accepted view that depression frequently has multiple causes, including biological, psychological and social causes, it has also become the norm that multiple professions and approaches to treatment have important roles to play in helping people overcome depression.

• Like 1

And now used daily for mothers to get £600 a month for naughty kids .

Im actually going to agree with you and say that yes there are mothers that stoop that low but that doesnt mean that genuine cases arent real ffs...people on here keep grouping autism with depression and bipolar..autism is a developmental disorder not a mental illness Edited by daveee88
  • Like 1