• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I will donate this camera to your cat hunting if you would like it  lumix fz72 60x zoom 

Was out for a walk with the dogs this morning, bumped into a fellow I sort of know through a lot of common interests we often stop for a chat,he hunts a bit and likes his old cars I have something for

Just re reading the whole thread and you’ve come under some real stick mate .Apologies for my part .Doesn’t mean I’m a believer just embarrassing some of the comments 

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, Wolfdog91 said:

Egh again I feel all over more less goes back to a population deal of these possible animals. Graph out road kill locations of certain animals and lay that over the population densities of those animals. Pretty sure there will be a pretty obvious thing you'd see.  Like I've said before it's like in most of the southern states like Mississippi, Louisiana, Florida, Alabama. It's been confirmed that Lions  migrate through all of these states . And for the longest if you told someone theirs mountain lions in these states they would be nuts for alot of the reasons you listed.  But they radio collared a few and it's become just common knowledge. But I don't think you ever see them road killed or really ever seen period in the south .

However! Bobcat road kills are common down here that being said their high in population and you could say they've gotten pretty ok with deal with humans. Hell you can see videos all over rid then in back yards hunting song birds . Also in states with higher lion populations road kill lions aren't uncommon but their not frequent.

Also you could look at places like Russia where they have tigers but how often do you think one is road killed ? Same with Jaguars in south America or Mexico 

Like I've said before you can't really apply everything to every animal. A deer and an apex preators are on two different deals when it comes to varis things like getting hit by cars , dealing with humans , ect. Where deer or fox might try their luck running across a busy road something like a big cat would probably follow that travel way till they find something safer.

Coyotes here do it all the time . Their places on the road that are just pure funnels for dumb animals like possums , and you can walk to the road and see their trails and all they do is bumble into the road . Now go off the side of the road  and follow the ditch. Know where the cats yotes and predator will cross ? The big ass culvert going under the road 40yd down the ditch. 

Now we can look at somethings such as Certain animals being able to adapt to living around people better. We've seen in both India and Africa leopards have gotten pretty good at living in urban areas and being basically und detected , I think peoel really only notch them usually when they start finding the odd stray dog drug up into a tree. Jackals have also integrated pretty well. That being said you don't see lions or tigers doing the same. Why ? Well theirs just something about them that makes them incompatible with such a situation.

Another thing is just the fact you can hit a lot of animals and not kill them right off the bat . And honestly if your in the UK and have a accident with what you thought as a big cat, are you seriously gonna call your insurance and be like " hay look man this is gonna sound crazy but I just hit this big mountain lion bobcat thing and f****d up my car.....I'm covered though right ?" I mean honestly I think most people over there who seem pretty friggen ignorant of anything nature related would probably just say it was a deer or something and just keep their yaps shut.

And back to the not killing them thing. What I meant was 1 I'm pretty sure y'all drive alot safer and slower then us on average and 2 just looking at what a majority of peoel over their drive I don't think one of those little deal would kill alot of larger animals straight off the rip. Iay be completely wrong but just my thoughts.

I had some to say on the whole why hasn't anyone got any clear pics yet but I'm running short on time at the moment. I'll try and come back and give my thoughts.

I will year again say thing though. Who's not to say that this isn't something y'all's government keeps tabs on and handles discreetly ? Because again the UK being what it is .... I don't think just the public acceptance of big cats just roaming around would be the best thing honestly. With as good as the government is on surveillance know days wouldn't be hard at all for them to have some deal where any mention of pic of on of these cats it's seen , noted and if it is if sufficient reason it gets removed and a team gets sent out to track and deal .  I know I sound li k a conspiracy theorist but seriously take ten minutes to look into what governments are able to do as far as public surveillance and making things that's could upset the public disappear. I mean I've talked to ADC guys do do also similar things over here when it comes to larger preators in urban areas.  Get a call " have there's a black bear in this neighborhood causing a problem the city needs it taken care of" they go get the permits suppressed .300blk they take care of the problem in a professional manner and soccer mom's in the gated community are non the wiser..

Am I saying that's what's going on....no  but...

Their alot of possibilities imo 

Wolfdog, there's not a man in the UK that would be able to sort a problem big cat. Wouldn't know where to start?. They get out the army, and a few helicopters to try track it down.  Also, regarding trail cams, the believers have many of them set in the big cat hotpots. Surely there would have been a decent picture got at this stage, if indeed they were there.

Feck, they throw out some amount of kittens, imagine if there were 5 to 10 on Dartmoor, be like rabbits about the fields in a few years...you'd be falling over them what with no natural predators and having excellent road sense.......

Thirteen kittens were born to five mountain lion mothers between May and August, ?

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Births between May and August mark regional record for National Park Service researchers

and still pumping them out.

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Cougar dubbed P-99 gave birth to the litter over the summer in the western Santa Monica mountains

Edited by sandymere
  • Haha 3
29 minutes ago, sandymere said:

Feck, they throw out some amount of kittens, imagine if there were 5 to 10 on Dartmoor, be like rabbits about the fields in a few years...you'd be falling over them what with no natural predators and having excellent road sense.......

Thirteen kittens were born to five mountain lion mothers between May and August, ?

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Births between May and August mark regional record for National Park Service researchers

and still pumping them out.

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Cougar dubbed P-99 gave birth to the litter over the summer in the western Santa Monica mountains

what do you think lizard people eat FFS 

4 hours ago, Wolfdog91 said:

Egh again I feel all over more less goes back to a population deal of these possible animals. Graph out road kill locations of certain animals and lay that over the population densities of those animals. Pretty sure there will be a pretty obvious thing you'd see.  Like I've said before it's like in most of the southern states like Mississippi, Louisiana, Florida, Alabama. It's been confirmed that Lions  migrate through all of these states . And for the longest if you told someone theirs mountain lions in these states they would be nuts for alot of the reasons you listed.  But they radio collared a few and it's become just common knowledge. But I don't think you ever see them road killed or really ever seen period in the south .

However! Bobcat road kills are common down here that being said their high in population and you could say they've gotten pretty ok with deal with humans. Hell you can see videos all over rid then in back yards hunting song birds . Also in states with higher lion populations road kill lions aren't uncommon but their not frequent.

Also you could look at places like Russia where they have tigers but how often do you think one is road killed ? Same with Jaguars in south America or Mexico 

Like I've said before you can't really apply everything to every animal. A deer and an apex preators are on two different deals when it comes to varis things like getting hit by cars , dealing with humans , ect. Where deer or fox might try their luck running across a busy road something like a big cat would probably follow that travel way till they find something safer.

Coyotes here do it all the time . Their places on the road that are just pure funnels for dumb animals like possums , and you can walk to the road and see their trails and all they do is bumble into the road . Now go off the side of the road  and follow the ditch. Know where the cats yotes and predator will cross ? The big ass culvert going under the road 40yd down the ditch. 

Now we can look at somethings such as Certain animals being able to adapt to living around people better. We've seen in both India and Africa leopards have gotten pretty good at living in urban areas and being basically und detected , I think peoel really only notch them usually when they start finding the odd stray dog drug up into a tree. Jackals have also integrated pretty well. That being said you don't see lions or tigers doing the same. Why ? Well theirs just something about them that makes them incompatible with such a situation.

Another thing is just the fact you can hit a lot of animals and not kill them right off the bat . And honestly if your in the UK and have a accident with what you thought as a big cat, are you seriously gonna call your insurance and be like " hay look man this is gonna sound crazy but I just hit this big mountain lion bobcat thing and f****d up my car.....I'm covered though right ?" I mean honestly I think most people over there who seem pretty friggen ignorant of anything nature related would probably just say it was a deer or something and just keep their yaps shut.

And back to the not killing them thing. What I meant was 1 I'm pretty sure y'all drive alot safer and slower then us on average and 2 just looking at what a majority of peoel over their drive I don't think one of those little deal would kill alot of larger animals straight off the rip. Iay be completely wrong but just my thoughts.

I had some to say on the whole why hasn't anyone got any clear pics yet but I'm running short on time at the moment. I'll try and come back and give my thoughts.

I will year again say thing though. Who's not to say that this isn't something y'all's government keeps tabs on and handles discreetly ? Because again the UK being what it is .... I don't think just the public acceptance of big cats just roaming around would be the best thing honestly. With as good as the government is on surveillance know days wouldn't be hard at all for them to have some deal where any mention of pic of on of these cats it's seen , noted and if it is if sufficient reason it gets removed and a team gets sent out to track and deal .  I know I sound li k a conspiracy theorist but seriously take ten minutes to look into what governments are able to do as far as public surveillance and making things that's could upset the public disappear. I mean I've talked to ADC guys do do also similar things over here when it comes to larger preators in urban areas.  Get a call " have there's a black bear in this neighborhood causing a problem the city needs it taken care of" they go get the permits suppressed .300blk they take care of the problem in a professional manner and soccer mom's in the gated community are non the wiser..

Am I saying that's what's going on....no  but...

Their alot of possibilities imo 

Btw sorry if my post have been reading kinda bad , damn phones touch screen has been f***ing up on me lately ?

Kin el, fella,you just broke sandymere's record, what the f**k is wrong with you?!

Ps, didn't read it all, as I have Christmas to prepare for!!  ?

Edited by shaaark
5 hours ago, sandymere said:

Slightly boring interlude but a little factual input.?

So, to round up the Roadkill question. (Shame we haven’t any evidence to balance the subject, but I suppose it is what it is.)

In the Americas they have the expected roadkill, deer, Foxes, badgers, Bobcats, cougars, jaguars, Lynx, bears etc so we can safely say these species are present. They don’t have Leopards, Lions or Tigers so we can safely say these aren’t present within the context of a viable population.

In Africa they have the expected roadkill, antelope, Foxes, badgers, leopards, lions etc so we can safely say these species are present. They don’t have Cougars, Tigers, or Iberian lynx etc so we can safely say these aren’t present within the context of a viable population.

In India they have the expected roadkill, deer, Foxes, badgers, leopards, Tigers, Dhole etc so we can safely say these species are present. They don’t have Cougars, Iberian lynx, Jaguars etc so we can safely say these aren’t present within the context of a viable population.

In Spain they have the expected roadkill, deer, Foxes, badgers, Iberian lynx, wild boar etc so we can safely say these species are present. They don’t have lions, tigers, leopards etc so we can safely say these aren’t present within the context of a viable population.

In Britain we have the expected roadkill, deer, Foxes, badgers, domestic cats, polecats etc so we can safely say these species are present. We don’t have lions, tigers, leopards, pumas, Lynx etc so we can safely say these aren’t present within the context of a viable population.

The reality that the presence or absence of roadkill is in line with known populations in every country around the world is pretty strong evidence of both presence and absence.

No doubt, in the UK and other countries, there have been random cats released historically, as the cougar in Scotland and the lynx in Devon, and in the future no doubt there will be the occasional escapes, but these are isolated instances and neither amounts to a breeding population of hundreds.

As we have ever stricter controls on all aspects of life including keeping animals the chance of random release becomes increasingly less probable and historical releases become further in the past the idea of even one or two big cats surviving becomes less and less probable.

So the next area Pictures.

What have we got in the way of Photographic evidence? This in the context of the increasingly ubiquitous camera trap, CCTV, Phone shots, video, traffic camera etc etc. Again, we find around the world where’s there’s a big cat there’s photographic or film evidence. Much as we saw with the film crew looking for Iberian lynx the camera trap is pretty good at finding the target, CCTV and road cameras cover a massive amount of the UK, everyone has a phone in their pocket and naturalist are increasingly studying our countryside and its flora and fauna.

So why if every other country can get film, picture etc of their resident big cats why can’t we?

Kin ELL, a 'little factual Input?!'

Edited by shaaark
1 hour ago, EDDIE B said:

To be fair mate, Wolfdog didn't agree with everything that you have said here. Yes, he does say that he believes it could be possible for there to be a breeding population of big cat of some sort in the UK, and that they are indeed very illusive animals. 

On the other hand, he mentions that there are Jaguars migrating from Mexico to the US, that are very seldom seen, yet they have been captured on trailcam. Now we are probably talking very few animals, yet there is real evidence. 

I have certainly taken something from his post, hopefully you have too.

Mexico to the U S, a matter of metres.

• paulus locked this topic