31 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

How many generations does it take a working dog to lose the instinct to work if its not being worked......id imagine the same theory must come into play with wild animals who no longer have to obtain their own food....maybe im wrong......but they are certainly going to lose some ability to do it as efficiently surely ?

Only for a short period. Bit of hunger, followed by a bit of practice, and they'd be as efficient as "truly" wild ones.

• Like 1

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I will donate this camera to your cat hunting if you would like it  lumix fz72 60x zoom 

Was out for a walk with the dogs this morning, bumped into a fellow I sort of know through a lot of common interests we often stop for a chat,he hunts a bit and likes his old cars I have something for

Just re reading the whole thread and you’ve come under some real stick mate .Apologies for my part .Doesn’t mean I’m a believer just embarrassing some of the comments 

Posted Images

47 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

How many generations does it take a working dog to lose the instinct to work if its not being worked......id imagine the same theory must come into play with wild animals who no longer have to obtain their own food....maybe im wrong......but they are certainly going to lose some ability to do it as efficiently surely ?

Of course those tigers that they feed live animals to in China won't be as effective as a wild tiger but you can't get more effective than killing. 

They still utilise the same tools as wild tigers, their claws and teeth. 

2 minutes ago, EDDIE B said:

Only for a short period. Bit of hunger, followed by a bit of practice, and they'd be as efficient as "truly" wild ones.

That’s just not true mate I,m sorry, plus there are only two captive black leopards in England have been for a lot of years they live in exmoor zoo it doesn’t add up to the hundreds of sightings across the country each year or the fact the owner of exmoor zoo also gets a few calls from the police a year asking him to check they are still in there cages, I put a program up a while back of two captive lynx and the work done to get them back to the wild took quite some time and a lot of teaching sorry ?

16 minutes ago, Greyman said:

That’s just not true mate I,m sorry, plus there are only two captive black leopards in England have been for a lot of years they live in exmoor zoo it doesn’t add up to the hundreds of sightings across the country each year or the fact the owner of exmoor zoo also gets a few calls from the police a year asking him to check they are still in there cages, I put a program up a while back of two captive lynx and the work done to get them back to the wild took quite some time and a lot of teaching sorry ?

So a house moggy can hunt and kill with no training, but a bloody Lynx has to be trained to kill successfully. Where's the logic in that Greyman? And how exactly do they train them to kill? 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Greyman said:

So now you're dismissing the idea that they've been illegally released? 

Like has been said before, if folk could smuggle drugs or arms then I'm sure they could smuggle in a few cubs. 

I don't think any of it is true but if it is then the odd escapee or released animal is more likely IMO. 

6 minutes ago, EDDIE B said:

So a house moggy can hunt and kill with no training, but a bloody Lynx has to be trained to kill successfully. Where's the logic in that Greyman? And how exactly do they train them to kill? 

Does a house cat kill as effectively as a lynx?

2 minutes ago, EDDIE B said:

Im only going on watching wildlife stuff on the telly so i dont really know what im on about but surely an animal just being able to kill shit isnt enough.....a lion or tiger only has so many attempts at a kill before its strength/energy gives out....no ?....hence the more efficient it is at killing the better the strike rate and an animal with poor technique isnt going to survive long thats just nature surely.

6 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

Im only going on watching wildlife stuff on the telly so i dont really know what im on about but surely an animal just being able to kill shit isnt enough.....a lion or tiger only has so many attempts at a kill before its strength/energy gives out....no ?....hence the more efficient it is at killing the better the strike rate and an animal with poor technique isnt going to survive long thats just nature surely.

Yes, and so if there are big cats here, they either get very efficient at killing, kill livestock, or die of hunger. 

15 minutes ago, keepdiggin said:

Does a house cat kill as effectively as a lynx?

I'm not sure what's that supposed to mean, a kill is a kill. 

A cat will either kill an animal or it won't. 

The facts are cats don't need their mother to learn them how to kill, if that was the case then no escaped big cat in the UK would survive to reproduce in the first place.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, EDDIE B said:

Have a watch and tell me, house moggys also come in several levels from the farm cat that is still partially wild and will hunt at a decent level to the Persian that is nothing more than a fanny warmer, bringing a couple of house sparrows in from the garden its quite impressive but would not keep most cats alive, have just had an email from a member on here about a sighting in Devon this week, within a few minutes I contacted the group to log the sighting and someone else 10 miles away has just been in touch totally unknown to the first that has seen and taken some pics of one so that’s either two looneys in the same area or to totally normal people that have both just seen the same thing and one of them has managed another grainie photo that would not appease anyone with doubts, but two strangers 10miles apart have just seen the same thing and one has a couple of photos ???

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, keepdiggin said:

I think most of the ferals diet is made up from scavenging?

Why would they, when they are such proficient predators. We have had plenty of threads on here discussing the destruction caused by cats. Why even the best fed cat brings home kills. Some on a daily basis

12 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Have a watch and tell me, house moggys also come in several levels from the farm cat that is still partially wild and will hunt at a decent level to the Persian that is nothing more than a fanny warmer, bringing a couple of house sparrows in from the garden its quite impressive but would not keep most cats alive, have just had an email from a member on here about a sighting in Devon this week, within a few minutes I contacted the group to log the sighting and someone else 10 miles away has just been in touch totally unknown to the first that has seen and taken some pics of one so that’s either two looneys in the same area or to totally normal people that have both just seen the same thing and one of them has managed another grainie photo that would not appease anyone with doubts, but two strangers 10miles apart have just seen the same thing and one has a couple of photos ???

Let me get this right Greyman. Are you saying that there are big catsout there, but that they arent as efficient at hunting,  as truely wild ones, because they originated from pets? I dont get it

20 minutes ago, EDDIE B said:

Why would they, when they are such proficient predators. We have had plenty of threads on here discussing the destruction caused by cats. Why even the best fed cat brings home kills. Some on a daily basis

Because scavenging is easier then hunting for a animal not bred in the wild?

Edited by keepdiggin
  • Like 2
  • paulus locked this topic
  • paulus unlocked this topic