Favourite Quarry

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To compare the courage of a 80lb bull cross snapping a fox apart with that a 14lb terrier going to a big dog fox after xmas is something surely most on the site will have left behind?   I can't be

has to be a fox for me

Definitely fox. We used to meet in the cafe at 7 have a breakfast then on to a mate of mine who had a small pack of beagles and we d go to different farms and estates pushing woods and cover. There wa

Posted Images

Definitely fox. We used to meet in the cafe at 7 have a breakfast then on to a mate of mine who had a small pack of beagles and we d go to different farms and estates pushing woods and cover. There was only about 5 of us all goodmates so no bickering or back biting. Me and a mate ran lurcher s and the others shot. We d push the woods then do the earths . Munty and hare were run if the landowner allowed it. I saw some cracking runs and god forbid if ur lurcher was a jacker cos u d have the piss took all day. My dog took a large amount of foxes each weekend and was handy on a dig. we always went till dark as the old boy with the beagles always loved a dig or two on the way home. Great times .

• Like 8

Kangaroo for me over here. Big, tough and good fight, you needed strong and hard dogs to do well on the big males. Plenty of pace and wind too because the b*****ds are bloody quick with a wind up. Shame its illegal now, my family were always very keen on their roo dogs and bred some real nice dogs that would catch, kill and carry the smaller ones single handedly. Now they're a plague and you're buggered getting permits from the government just to shoot the pricks, real shame and hard on the farmers. Still happens though but if you're caught its serious trouble. At least I can still run the little wallabies in my state but it's not the same.

• Like 3

Deer,,no idea why as the majority of them weren't exactly testing for a good dog to pull,,but when you got one it always felt like a substantial catch

Plenty of meat in one go and really nice to eat too when cooked right.

I still love a jugged hare too, cooked in a rich gravy with a bit of red wine or guinness in it and served with mash and greens. :thumbs:

I hear that a lot of places where I had happy times running hares in Lincolnshire they have become almost extinct since the ban. :( What a sad reflection on modern life.

• Like 2

Deer,,no idea why as the majority of them weren't exactly testing for a good dog to pull,,but when you got one it always felt like a substantial catch

I still love a jugged hare too, cooked in a rich gravy with a bit of red wine or guinness in it and served with mash and greens. :thumbs:

I hear that a lot of places where I had happy times running hares in Lincolnshire they have become almost extinct since the ban. :( What a sad reflection on modern life.

:thumbs:

I'd say foxes just because you can't say it's dead until it's in the dogs jaws, I don't agree what's been said with the Earth dog part though an average terrier should stay with a fox assuming it's good at its job and holds it at bay I wouldn't say a fox is the true test for a good Earth dog but like what's already been said each to there own, I'm happy with just lamping rabbits nowadays with my dogs not really fussed wether the ban got repealed or not

• Like 1

my dad youst to cook a nice jugged hare I haven't had it for years now though nice game casserole makes the mouth water them hares are all gone off the fens because all these shoots decide to have big hare drives or drive round with a bullet riffle and ab literate them it's a crying shame but it goes on all over the country and then they blame lads with dogs ?
  • Like 1

Kangaroo for me over here. Big, tough and good fight, you needed strong and hard dogs to do well on the big males. Plenty of pace and wind too because the b*****ds are bloody quick with a wind up. Shame its illegal now, my family were always very keen on their roo dogs and bred some real nice dogs that would catch, kill and carry the smaller ones single handedly. Now they're a plague and you're buggered getting permits from the government just to shoot the pricks, real shame and hard on the farmers. Still happens though but if you're caught its serious trouble. At least I can still run the little wallabies in my state but it's not the same.

must have been some sight to see, from what I've seen kangaroos a'int slow and i'd imagine not every dog would have been able

• Like 1