The Good Life....living The Dream?

I think you know, mate, but it's a big step when you weigh up the evidence! :thumbs:

LOL, that's the problem.

Me: "Oh hey Mam Dad Sis Bro, I've had a guts full of this place and f***ing off somewhere more appreciative of a person of my particular flavour!"

Me mam: "Where!?"

Me: "New Zealand, I feel I'm a kiwi at heart and just want a bit of freedom, this place is rapidly going to shit for a fella like me and I've got nothing holding me here really."

Me mam: "Well that's great Son. But are you sure you want to leave the job you don't particularly enjoy to do the same job (if it exists) in a country you have never been anywhere near ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE PLANET and on your own, just because you want to see less people and hunt more freely?"

Me: "That's a good point mother, but it looks good on youtube!"

:laugh::laugh:

In reality 'me mam' is a voice in my head! LOL

My motto in life has always been, there is one way to find out ;)

What's the worst that can happen?

• Like 2

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

were i live mackem for the last 13/14 years is a sorta living the dream,,if there is a such a thing....if you know what I mean..going away in the van here or abroad.me and me best mate the missus..met

I had big dreams once, I believed that if I continued to work myself in to the ground for just a few more years I could end up with my dream house in the countryside. The last oil crash gave me a mass

im living it right now, never enters my head to be elsewhere, I will be 73 this Thursday, and want fer nowt, apart from a touch of arhritus in my left hand, im in good health, got myself a decent pup,

Posted Images

Some people feel no attachment to their own land and can move anywhere in the world and feel at home,Gypsies for example seem to find it harder to settle than stay put.

If you've got roots you'll always be drawn back home to blood and soil imo,I think the nomads are missing out,but they'd no doubt say the same about me.

No matter how overpopulated,spied on,or restricted you are,if you're part of the land the land's part of you.

I understand that totally mate, used to feel very much the same.......then I realised that while I was fighting this noble battle in my head for the land I love and its people and culture........nobody else gave a f**k!

So I thought bollocks to them, let em die and I'll get on with seeing what's best for me.

• Like 2

I think you know, mate, but it's a big step when you weigh up the evidence! :thumbs:

LOL, that's the problem.

Me: "Oh hey Mam Dad Sis Bro, I've had a guts full of this place and f***ing off somewhere more appreciative of a person of my particular flavour!"

Me: "New Zealand, I feel I'm a kiwi at heart and just want a bit of freedom, this place is rapidly going to shit for a fella like me and I've got nothing holding me here really."

Me mam: "Well that's great Son. But are you sure you want to leave the job you don't particularly enjoy to do the same job (if it exists) in a country you have never been anywhere near ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE PLANET and on your own, just because you want to see less people and hunt more freely?"

Lose everything and set myself back to square one having taken 8 years to get anywhere close to comfortable as a single fella, never mind content or 'well off'. LOL

I suppose then mate it comes down to what you value, there's a good chance that as life progresses the things you value change......do what feels right at the time.

The only bit of advice I can offer is something an old boy told me years ago.........be happy, if you are not happy don't do it no matter what the cost ;)

• Like 4

LOL, that's the problem.

Lose everything and set myself back to square one having taken 8 years to get anywhere close to comfortable as a single fella, never mind content or 'well off'. LOL

who dares wins

Some people feel no attachment to their own land and can move anywhere in the world and feel at home,Gypsies for example seem to find it harder to settle than stay put.

If you've got roots you'll always be drawn back home to blood and soil imo,I think the nomads are missing out,but they'd no doubt say the same about me.

No matter how overpopulated,spied on,or restricted you are,if you're part of the land the land's part of you.

I understand that totally mate, used to feel very much the same.......then I realised that while I was fighting this noble battle in my head for the land I love and its people and culture........nobody else gave a f**k!

So I thought bollocks to them, let em die and I'll get on with seeing what's best for me.

I've lived in other places Wilf,I moved back 2 years ago from somewhere that was on paper ideal for me,quiet and very rural.

But I never felt content,I honestly don't think it's a choice,I live about a mile from land that's been in my family since the Norman conquest,all those generations standing under the same stars,looking over the same fields,rivers and coast,dying and being buried there has a real tangible effect,whether people realise it or not.

Some people don't feel that same pull,they're probably the lucky ones,especially if they happen to come from any major English city!

• Like 3

That's the roll of the dice. Better to regret the things you did than the things you never attempted. :thumbs:

• Like 2

Don't get me wrong boys, I love the landscape of the UK and the people are top class, it's getting f****d in the arse at every turn by the system I couldn't deal with and didn't feel I had the right to condem my kids too either.......I find it truly disgusting.

The land is lovely but for me it's no way to live.

But that is just me.

I think we,ve had a similar conversation before Wilf so i dont want to antagonize you but would you say you are ashamed of being English ?

I had all these " is the grass greener " type of questions and it took me all of about 5 minutes to realise that yes it is.....but that still doesnt change who i am and where im from im a big rough kid off the estate im not ashamed of that who am i to turn my back on where im from.

What Chris said is right if you dont like the situation then make changes and that for me is another part of the whole " living the dream " thing in that all be it small changes,they can be made within our own communities.......what is it they say running away just wears your shoes out.

I lived in the same town all my life until a year ago. Decided i wanted to have a change of scenery. Even the last few weeks before i was due to leave to go to the highlands i was starting to get wee niggles and second thoughts. Mates ribbing me about moving and id last a couple months tops lol

However i thought im not going to be the one who few years down the line thinking "i should have done it" so i bit the bullet and packed my belongings up and headed north.

Im glad i did aswell. Its a big difference from a big town but i love it wish i had done it years ago.living in a stunning part of the UK and can walk for miles without seeing a soul sometimes. Well not during summer when thousands from all over tge world decend on the place lol met some really nice people to. Granted i didnt leave scotland but for me this move was something i thought i wouldnt ever consider.

Even started taking up fishing more seriously. Surrounded in lochs and mountains and widlidlife is in abundance.

• Like 9

LOL, that's the problem.

Better to go for a look now while you have no major commitments, like wife and kids.

Boils down to lying on your deathbed and saying, well I fcuked that part of my life up,or, fcuk I wish I had done that.

I read an article years ago that said most people are born, live and die in an eight mile radius, now that is truly scary and to me would be regrettable.

• Like 6

LOL, that's the problem. Me: "Oh hey Mam Dad Sis Bro, I've had a guts full of this place and f***ing off somewhere more appreciative of a person of my particular flavour!" Me mam: "Where!?" Me: "New Zealand, I feel I'm a kiwi at heart and just want a bit of freedom, this place is rapidly going to shit for a fella like me and I've got nothing holding me here really." Me mam: "Well that's great Son. But are you sure you want to leave the job you don't particularly enjoy to do the same job (if it exists) in a country you have never been anywhere near ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE PLANET and on your own, just because you want to see less people and hunt more freely?" Me: "That's a good point mother, but it looks good on youtube!" :laugh::laugh: In reality 'me mam' is a voice in my head! LOL
My motto in life has always been, there is one way to find out ;)What's the worst that can happen?
Better to go for a look now while you have no major commitments, like wife and kids.Boils down to lying on your deathbed and saying, well I fcuked that part of my life up,or, fcuk I wish I had done that.I read an article years ago that said most people are born, live and die in an eight mile radius, now that is truly scary and to me would be regrettable.
I was brought up in the north-east,pretty desolate back then,yet I still know plenty of folks there who live on the same estate we went to school on,they live within streets of their parents and siblings,a holiday every couple of years in Spain makes them happy,it's just how it goes for many.The dream always changes for some,and sometimes dreams cost money,I know a guy who is paralysed,motorbike accident,he has tried for the last two years to fly to the North Pole in a flex-wing,both times the weather has beaten him,but his dream still burns,the first time he tried no-one sponsored him so he went on a shoestring budget,self financed,each of us has a dream,something we need to do whatever the cost.

post-1930-0-74533300-1493802279_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

you do get about mackem and are always doing exciting things fair do's to you mate you seem to be living your life to the full

Couple of years mate,my kids will graduate,then I can live my own particular dream,till then it's just pottering about.
  • Like 2

you do get about mackem and are always doing exciting things fair do's to you mate you seem to be living your life to the full

Couple of years mate,my kids will graduate,then I can live my own particular dream,till then it's just pottering about.

your pottering about is very interesting and exciting stuff when I potter about i'm usally doing it my shed like fixing my broken lawn mower lol

• Like 3