What Adds More Drive Into A Lurcher Beddy Or Collie?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@ Fuji...   I think we have all been guilty of staying up too late and getting ourselves embroiled in senseless argument,...it is part and parcel of being passionate about the dogs. It is always

i like a bit of beddy and collie in my dawg

73 next month, happy as pigs in shit, got myself a decent little rabbiter , wife keeps asking me , what do you want for your birthday, nowt is my reply, ive got it all

Posted Images

I have nowt against the Mal x's Bill,my lad has an ex protection Mal,it's very very biddable & not a bother kind,he's a cracker of a dog he is,bit of age about him nowadays but he was good at his job in his day..Like I say i have no axe to grind with anyone about them,might even chuck the dog over one of my bitches & see what comes out lol..Old Swift is in season just now ..She's too pretty for an ugly Mal over her haha ✌

. And here's me thinking yas like ugly curs lol atb bunnys.
  • Like 1

Maybe........

. Maybe what if by saying you doubt my word so be it but I'll tell yas for nought ten yrs past the malli xs was first bred in these isles to my knowledge I know fella who bred it and seen it work all teeth it loved them , also fact there be a fella on here who has a male sal xs bred down from it ticked the boxes for him and the welps bred from that ,who other fellas are on here ticked the boxes for them the malli xs will be like all first breeding so will be improved on like the collie xs whippets and everything all els bred da work breed on and with good selective breeding the chances are tall get a few good uns.another fact not maybe . Those who like herder types and feel the the f1s tend to fall short with the mental side of things a malli grey may just be right for them .and don't beget thinking the f1will be like a crack head on meths ,it don't workload,e that the malli greys we have artery laid back and calm the grey sees ta that.atb bunnys.

Of course experimenting is the way forward or you just stagnate. All established Lurchers now where at one time an experiment.

there was a time, not that long ago, that no lurcher man would entertain adding saluki to a lurcher. Now its like half of 'em are feathered eared plodders.

• Like 4

Just to add, if anyone thinks that a human aggressive dog equates to bottle when faced with another creature that is proving a test then they are, imho, talking bollocks I'm afraid.

The dog with the biggest heart I ever saw was a little 13lb animal that would throw itself into the fray to the point of death with critters 4 times its size......that dog never once curled a lip to a human being or even another dog......even when being patched.

Man aggressive dogs are curs in my limited experience when faced with another big set of teeth.

Has anyone said human aggression equates to being able to handle teeth?

After all, people don't use Rottweilers for lurcher breeding, do they?

I think because someone uses a malinois, it has little to do with human aggression......

Let's not kid each other mate, the fact is most likely this.......someone has watched 3 videos on YouTube of a police Mally diving across the bonnet of a car and felling some would be rioter and thought to themselves "That looks handy, I bet that would be the bollocks over a track greyhound !"

That will be about the strength of it !

. And how about a collie that gives loads of eye and no bite ,umpteen yrs they been producing lurchers and the beddie that yodels like a good in and won't suffice earth work umpteen of them been used fa Lurcher production bull types never been matched bred of the back of untested stock ,not all but plenty have been its a never ending scenario the whippets the same racing champions producing good ta honest lurchers Neva seen a rabbit.need I go on read the script fella we start from somewhere and working stock his usually the way foreward.atb bunnys.

Just to add, if anyone thinks that a human aggressive dog equates to bottle when faced with another creature that is proving a test then they are, imho, talking bollocks I'm afraid.

The dog with the biggest heart I ever saw was a little 13lb animal that would throw itself into the fray to the point of death with critters 4 times its size......that dog never once curled a lip to a human being or even another dog......even when being patched.

Man aggressive dogs are curs in my limited experience when faced with another big set of teeth.

I think because someone uses a malinois, it has little to do with human aggression......

Let's not kid each other mate, the fact is most likely this.......someone has watched 3 videos on YouTube of a police Mally diving across the bonnet of a car and felling some would be rioter and thought to themselves "That looks handy, I bet that would be the bollocks over a track greyhound !"

Yeh of course I understand the element you are talking about, but I think it does a bit of a disservice to some lads that have looked beyond that, to assume that's their line of thought.

There are qualities there that go way beyond human aggression & I think there are few sensible dog lads that have seen that & maybe reaping the rewards now? Or will?

That said, I can see there is going to be a lot more incidents involving the pure's in the UK, as more get into the hands of the inexperienced or just plain idiots!

Malinois to me are a good and better option than most modern collies for Lurcher breeding ,I see them has a herder like the vast variety of collies ,if one does not desire the Knpv type malls there's the alternative the kc,now here we have do we use the tested animal bred for work or the kc that might do abit of light agility etc. The choice his there for all breeders who would wish to breed a litter .i know this the kc malls I have experience of there hybrids with greys are not has tough when bred the harder version.knpv malls it's just that like some stallions they posses more fire in em and take that bit more knowledgable capable handling if one don't posses these attributes leave well alone.and for being bit when in training I think that question already been answered, think of the vast majority of other herding type of none indigenous stock there's been plenty of them some documented some not.atb bunnys.

Have those kc line bred dogs produced anything decent bunnys? Surely there must be a middle ground between Knpv & kc stuff? Or not as the case may be.....

• Like 1

Maybe........

. Maybe what if by saying you doubt my word so be it but I'll tell yas for nought ten yrs past the malli xs was first bred in these isles to my knowledge I know fella who bred it and seen it work all teeth it loved them , also fact there be a fella on here who has a male sal xs bred down from it ticked the boxes for him and the welps bred from that ,who other fellas are on here ticked the boxes for them the malli xs will be like all first breeding so will be improved on like the collie xs whippets and everything all els bred da work breed on and with good selective breeding the chances are tall get a few good uns.another fact not maybe . Those who like herder types and feel the the f1s tend to fall short with the mental side of things a malli grey may just be right for them .and don't beget thinking the f1will be like a crack head on meths ,it don't workload,e that the malli greys we have artery laid back and calm the grey sees ta that.atb bunnys.

I don't doubt you at all, just because I've never seen it don't mean it's not so.........if they suit the owner then fine.

They wouldn't be my "break glass in case of emergency" dog when it came to certain things but if they do for whoever cleans up their shit then that's fine too.

. And how about a collie that gives loads of eye and no bite ,umpteen yrs they been producing lurchers and the beddie that yodels like a good in and won't suffice earth work umpteen of them been used fa Lurcher production bull types never been matched bred of the back of untested stock ,not all but plenty have been its a never ending scenario the whippets the same racing champions producing good ta honest lurchers Neva seen a rabbit.need I go on read the script fella we start from somewhere and working stock his usually the way foreward.atb bunnys.

There's two ways of saying that mate, you could say that for umpteen years people have been breeding from dogs they should have shot..........;)

Perhaps I'm putting this across wrong

Whenever I've seen a malnous get excited, the last thing I've ever thought was I'll put that over a greyhound

The live bite required a beating so hard to let go that it passed blood

And when in a live contact , the dog panicked and attached its handler

Scarcely a good start!!!!

I've been told by a few people a lot of the Mali's cover up for a lack of nerve with all that prey drive.

But they're not all that bad,people do keep them even working line ones as pets,you got to bare in mind that a lot of the ones intended for work are brought up from being pups in a way that encourages them to behave VERY differently to a normal dog.

And you can get similar results with other breeds,if you treat them the same way.

• Like 1

I genuinely love it when people talk about collie lurchers as if everything is first or second cross

Always think it's strange for people to assume that the oldest modern lurcher type doesn't have its equivalent of the Pye line, the merlin stuff, the foxy Charlie stuff , or the Stevens stuff

There are serious collie types out there , that would put the majority of scatter needs to pieces

Websters stuff, James stuff, even whins lines

You only have to look at the calibre of what some of the rabbittibgvlads keep to know what a collie line can produce

As for the mals , they wouldn't be for me, nor for the run of the mill lurcher man or even an employed man

They need serious time invested to counteract bad habits

And that is a million percent fact , they are not for everyone

• Like 2

There's two ways of saying that mate, you could say that for umpteen years people have been breeding from dogs they should have shot..........;)

wilf yas got ya three quarter grey bull yet feck me if I am right that been bred off a hound that seen feck all but sand I have access of a hundred plus greys some real decent animals have I bowed yet for the easy way out idontthink so if I do start to breed three quarter types anything yas can bet ya bottom dollar they will be top grade not poor grade standard rubbish .atb bunnys.
  • Like 1

Just read yas post stiff mister good post and honest but I will say this once again a man that's in the zone young keen has I believe I once was these days winding down the mall in a Lurcher adds lots. For instance a malli xs will be what you want build the drive for the performance you need the more the best get the better they get, that Cana be said about lots of types only a few What a malli will add his overall performance like a good shepherd xs alsation they thrive on shit conditions and loads of of ab use meaning work ,one might say not a lot of folk can keep a animal like this true . But here we have it the lurcher men live breath day I night out dogs and home his just the place build reserves for the next trip in other words base camp these animals will thrive in those conditions and get better at it has the nights get longer and the days get shorter. I often wonder for all those years when the alsation grey was being has I thought in blegowrie being put on the map we had them. A decade previous to this old news and the Barton lines had the influence when bred on we're with a Lurcher old news of course , the Welsh had no chance back then the Rooney dog was for what he was a alsation xs .james stuff collie xses drum etc I knew David of course I saw and wirtnrssed some of his animals work they OK and decent andd far better what they produced up the road . The place for hounds lurchers tykes call em what yas like his evolution we move on dinosaurs are best left wher they stayed in the past the o.d Neva got the real deal has lets say some other xes all because of Wonga.fact and of course ego driven fame. Atb bunnys.

• Like 1

I'd like to think bull lurchers have sufficiently evolved without the usage of a bona fide pit dog in its immediate ancestry

what one would like and what presumes may be like chalk and cheese of course there his very good line bred stuff about but not easily accessible lots of scatter bred stuff that suit lots , the best are three plus decades old there's lots of lads out there that think they have the dogs bollocks but when tested in the correct environment right time ov yr single over a period other time can be found to be very average if not worse.atb bunnys