Finley Bred Terriers

To not talk about culls is alien to me tbh .Culls are what make the rest stand out and their removal allows the working trait to carry on .Let's be be clear on the term cull ,it doesn't have to mean a dead dog .Passing on to a pet home or a ratting ,bushing career is still a cull.The fact its removed from a breeding program is enough .When NS was terrier man here he openly culled his fair share of what seemed to me to be no other reason than too hard .I was never in his clique but knew those that were and hunted with him many a time ,in the wings as it were .He used the services of other lads to do the tougher aspect to the game but annoyingly seemed to get the praise himself lol.

youre not looking for a guard dog by any chance -lol

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He can call them what he wants, he feeds them. I dare say he doesn't call them anything but his terriers, it's other people who put labels on your kennels. The only person I've seen in modern times pu

I have had the pleasure of being in DFs company, both socially and in the field. I have been gifted pups and studs over bitches. Not once have I heard him describe his dogs as DFs terriers, also on wr

The man dug more than most could only dream of, they say madness is next to genius and he's as mad as a box of frogs. We've all got our own ideas on what suits us, some like them a bit rough, some li

Posted Images

To not talk about culls is alien to me tbh .Culls are what make the rest stand out and their removal allows the working trait to carry on .Let's be be clear on the term cull ,it doesn't have to mean a dead dog .Passing on to a pet home or a ratting ,bushing career is still a cull.The fact its removed from a breeding program is enough .When NS was terrier man here he openly culled his fair share of what seemed to me to be no other reason than too hard .I was never in his clique but knew those that were and hunted with him many a time ,in the wings as it were .He used the services of other lads to do the tougher aspect to the game but annoyingly seemed to get the praise himself lol.

Dogs can certainly be too hard for certain jobs so I can see what he did. Of course for other folk those dogs would be the dog to get, horses for courses or so they say.

I always remember an old friend and mentor saying 'how can a dog be too hard?if he were about today I'd have said to him that Too anything is Too much,
  • Like 1

Dogs can certainly be too hard for certain jobs so I can see what he did. Of course for other folk those dogs would be the dog to get, horses for courses or so they say.
I always remember an old friend and mentor saying 'how can a dog be too hard?if he were about today I'd have said to him that Too anything is Too much,

For him they might not have been but for others they can definitely be.

• Like 1

Anyone else had experience from breeding baying types and culling hard dogs over many generations. What is the outcome compared with breeding from a hard dog? Do you still get the steady types or does it lead to standoffish workers?

By hard dogs back then I mean he culled anything which was persistently hold of its fox on breakthrough .Despite being a terrier man I always thought he had hounds at heart and would of been better off with them ,the terrier a means to get charlie back on the move rather than enjoying it for what it is .Could be every pro I guess but he was sensitive about a fox getting too much dog .Just my opinion .

• Like 1

I have had the pleasure of being in DFs company, both socially and in the field. I have been gifted pups and studs over bitches. Not once have I heard him describe his dogs as DFs terriers, also on written details of the dogs breeding he was open and truthful in who breed them and there back ground.

Other men make these super heroes in the dog game , usually for there own gain, the men that keep the dogs and put in the graft just want to get on with it.

No books , no fame and glory, just enjoying what there is left to enjoy, before it's gone .

• Like 15

By hard dogs back then I mean he culled anything which was persistently hold of its fox on breakthrough .Despite being a terrier man I always thought he had hounds at heart and would of been better off with them ,the terrier a means to get charlie back on the move rather than enjoying it for what it is .Could be every pro I guess but he was sensitive about a fox getting too much dog .Just my opinion .

in your opinion did he breed better workers with this method? Or did they only suit a hunt terrierman.

I remember going out with DF at his house i asked what terrier are we taking and his answer was you choose one and we will take it I chose a chocolate one which turned out to be a dog called Jc,I stayed at tony harpers house,it was Russell's he had,all nice lookers at that,both lads were brand new and the crack was good,wf

• Like 2

I remember going down to a mates a few years back. I was still young and wet behind the ears. On the way out I said which dog are you taking and he said 'you choose'.

It left a lasting impression on me of the sheer confidence he had in his terriers. Something not just anyone possesses but someone who really knows their dogs inside out IMO.

• Like 2

in your opinion did he breed better workers with this method? Or did they only suit a hunt terrierman.
My own opinion is that lads have improved the strain from what NS kept .He wasnt around long enough for me to see the line continue but he did leave a legacy ,which was as I said IMO improved on .Others will know more but it would be interesting to see what he had in kennels today if he was still at it proper . As to your question I would say he bred dogs for hunt service but liked the thought they were much more .
  • Like 2