Metal Detecting

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lizzie the first 1560's

Found this today.....     A half penny. Nothing special but one of my first coin finds so I'm chuffed to bits. Using my new garrett ace 250 can't wait to get back out with it.

Eric Lawes,old guy who died last year,the legend goes he was going into town to get some golf clubs as he was on the very of retiring and wanted a hobby to keep himself occupied,he saw a mate of his w

Posted Images

My neighbour does this and has found all sorts - Roman stuff, WW2 bombers etc.

Not sure what model he has but he says experience is more important than the detector spec.

He says you can get an idea from Google Map on the type of ground that holds secrets, undulations from generations ago.

It is very much an anorak hobby but a surprising number of people and they are usually in some kind of club.

And old mate of mine sneaked in to saltwood castle at night. Found an old coin he went on a few websites to see if was worth anything which it was. got put in touch with this fella who was a collector. He told him on the phone and the bloke came round and gave him £2000 straight away. Makes me think it was worth a lot more.

Edited by stevo79
  • Like 1

I wasn't using a metal detector but when I was on hols in France I spent a few days mooching round the German bunkers near the gironde estuary near where the SAS Cockleshell Heroes canoed up the estuary to blow up a German ship. I found all sorts of stuff, loads of shrapnel, an old boot and part of a German uniform. I then found a full clip of 7.92×57mm Mauser cartridges for a Kr-98 rifle....that was pretty cool but then I thought there are probably plenty of old unexploded bombs and mines so maybe digging battlefields isn't such a great idea.

I once saw a video in Russia where a guy was relic hunting, he found something big and metal and was wacking it with his spade....when he dug it up it turned out to be an anti-tank mine lol

• Like 2

I got one it's a technics eurotec have had some good finds old lead tokens and a 1666 farthing and about £60 modern coins that I wash and throw in change machine at sainsburys when I get enough, reckon it will pay for itself if I can be bothered to get out and use it more, found lots of shoe buttons, horse brasses musket balls.

As said beats watching telly also you get to recce the land for rabbits

Atb