Metal Detecting

Mate, its a great hobby but it takes over your life and your work. Plenty of times Ive arrived at a farm to do a days mole trapping but within the hour Im swinging my detector about, and when it starts to hit you in the pocket and you dont care you KNOW its addictive. Good luck if you start it up though, send me a pm if you do. trappa

Cheers pal, I got so much on at the moment that I think it would be unwise to start another hobby, but.....

What would you say would be a cheap starter metal detector that would get decent results but I could see if I enjoyed it first before I invest too much into it?

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lizzie the first 1560's

Found this today.....     A half penny. Nothing special but one of my first coin finds so I'm chuffed to bits. Using my new garrett ace 250 can't wait to get back out with it.

Eric Lawes,old guy who died last year,the legend goes he was going into town to get some golf clubs as he was on the very of retiring and wanted a hobby to keep himself occupied,he saw a mate of his w

Posted Images

I once dug up a flint axe head, which was estimated at upto 6000 years old.

With a metal detector?

lol IMPOSSIBLE lol :laugh:

POSSIBLE

How do you detect flint with a metal detector? That's what I was asking. Or was the axe head a coincidental find?

It had a metal handle....:laugh:

• Like 1

garret ace 250,with two coils.good cheap starter mate,,learn it,then if its for you upgrade..got one in the shed..got a deus.. had it a year or more..folds down small...ideal for sneaking about..lol....but expensive if your caught....hahaha..

• Like 1

Ive a deus torchey, with 11" coil, superb bit of kit. Hated first week i got it though, nearly wrapped it round a tree.

I,m looking at the deus lite with the 11 inch coil,,,how do you rate it trappa ,what settings do you use,and why did you want to wrap it round a tree lol

Ive a deus torchey, with 11" coil, superb bit of kit. Hated first week i got it though, nearly wrapped it round a tree.

I,m looking at the deus lite with the 11 inch coil,,,how do you rate it trappa ,what settings do you use,and why did you want to wrap it round a tree lol

Mate, i swear, if i was a multi millionaire i would still use the same detector, i dont think it can be beat tbh. Its so light you can swing it all day, its as complicated or as easy as you want it to be. If you google "Garys cold settings" and use that as a benchmark, its a good all-rounder, i still use that and my own pattern ive tweaked over the lat couple of years.

As for wrapping it round a tree, i had gone from a minelab etrac to the deus and didnt really know what i was doing with it, first coupl of times it was like swinging r2d2 on speed the amount of beeping and farting it was doing, it really pissed me off. Plus the etrac was a big heavy lump, when you pick a deus up its like a toy, plastic and weighs nothing, i just kept thinking id been robbed and sold a heap of shite.

Its no good on the beach mind, well, its half decent on dry sand but on wet its poor, ive a sovereign gt for beachwork so its not an issue for me.

• Like 1

Mate, i swear, if i was a multi millionaire i would still use the same detector, i dont think it can be beat tbh. Its so light you can swing it all day, its as complicated or as easy as you want it to be. If you google "Garys cold settings" and use that as a benchmark, its a good all-rounder, i still use that and my own pattern ive tweaked over the lat couple of years.

As for wrapping it round a tree, i had gone from a minelab etrac to the deus and didnt really know what i was doing with it, first coupl of times it was like swinging r2d2 on speed the amount of beeping and farting it was doing, it really pissed me off. Plus the etrac was a big heavy lump, when you pick a deus up its like a toy, plastic and weighs nothing, i just kept thinking id been robbed and sold a heap of shite.

Its no good on the beach mind, well, its half decent on dry sand but on wet its poor, ive a sovereign gt for beachwork so its not an issue for me.

What coil you got on your sovereign mate?

I've the big coiltek one, 14 inch i think. Covers a lot of ground and goes DEEP. In the summer I've been using the deus up on the dry sand and rocks with the small 9 " coil on, the sovs coil is too big for up there, where the smallest coil is best. My mate uses a tiny sniper coil and he bags more goodies than i do.

• Like 1

I saw a review of those big coiltech heads years ago in Treasure hunting mag,the guy used it with a sovereign on the beach,i still have a sovereign,you dont know any firms that can tune them up a little do you?