Are You A Fixer Or A Ditcher ?

Just seen this asked on TV.

I'm the sort that will have a go at fixing just about anything....I'll glue it, nail it, screw it, solder it - and if all else fails, resort to duct tape and cable ties !

Example...I bought 4 knackered mountain bikes from my local tip for a tenner a few months back. I bastardised parts and, few easy repairs later, made them into one bike that I sold for 40 quid !

The good lady's step mum, however, could not be more different....

The bulb went in her microwave a while back, so she bought a new one ! I took the old one, replaced the bulb and made myself 25 quid. Last year, she bought a new lap-top, as her old one (less than a year old !) wouldn't start up. She gave me the old one and, with a bit of help from Professor Google and THL-er Flipper Al, cleaned the fan, gave it a tidy up and flogged it for £100 !

So, are you a fixer or a ditcher ?

• Like 5

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm an attempter and wrecker ... I attempt to fix things but end up wrecking them and having to buy a new one .......

I think if you put your age down when answering this, you would have a group of over 40,s that grew up with nothing and had to fix it or you never had one, and a group of younger folk that have been b

Just seen this asked on TV.   I'm the sort that will have a go at fixing just about anything....I'll glue it, nail it, screw it, solder it - and if all else fails, resort to duct tape and cable ties

Always been a fixer I didn't have much choice as I was always skint its only the last 10 years or so that life's become more comfortable money wise but my thrifty ways have stuck and there's a certain amount of pleasure to be had repairing something yourself I find ...love a good skip find :thumbs:

• Like 3

Fixer all the way, if it can be fixed I will find a way. Drives the wife mad but gives me great satisfaction. The microwave went the floor rusted though where the dolly that holds the turntable had worn though the bottom, simple repair just cut a disc out of ply and it lasted another six months before the ring caught fire. Just replaced the plywood ring and worked for another six months.

I hate this throw away culture we seem to have. Certain things I will not have a go at though, gas and electric are a total no no to me.

TC

• Like 1

Always been a fixer I didn't have much choice as I was always skint its only the last 10 years or so that life's become more comfortable money wise but my thrifty ways have stuck and there's a certain amount of pleasure to be had repairing something yourself I find ...love a good skip find :thumbs:

Much to the good lady's irritation, I'm also a committed skip diver.....

• Like 1