Toughest Part Of The Country ......

i was chewing the fat with an old boy this morning and he had worked as a steel fixer all over the country from the 60's to the early 2000's and he was regaling me with stories of hard pubs and towns that he had frequented and it got me thinking is there any such places left in the U.K. .... I suppose back then places like the east end would have been a tough old place but with the invasion of foreigners that may well have changed ... as a youngster I always believed Glasgow was a rough area but every time I've been there it's been great ... so are there any places that are rough old gaffs in the old sense of the word ..........

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think THL is the toughest forum on the Internet ?

Blimey this has all gone a bit bandy..... i saw that place Merthyr Tydfil mentioned and it brought back a memory from years ago when i was first getting into the bulldogs some fella took me to this ga

Well I was a field Marshall in the Salvation Army if that counts?.......it's no party handing out soup to junkies you know! 2 tours of kings cross and wounded in action with a bad soup burn at charri

Posted Images

You obv went to the wrong bits in glesga socks lol

my 2 picks would be

glasgow

liverpool

I spent a weekend in easterhouse with a mate from the army and it was all ok ... I don't think I even seen a fight take place ......

Big difference between dangerous manors and plain rough..........theres plenty of places tucked away round South or East London you wouldnt want to get caught out in probably the same as most big cities but they,re not what id call rough any more......as for rough/rucker type pubs and areas i agree Glasgow took some beating when i used to visit there years ago but id imagine some of these mad little villages can be plenty rough enough with the same local faces falling out and making up every 5 minutes.

I've travelled all over and I've been in most of the roughest areas London an Moss side Manchester liverpool to St. Paul's in Bristol A Glasgow and Dublin . And there all pretty much the same if you want it someone will accomadate you.

• Like 8

I think reputations are always worse than reallity . , I've family up in Tower Hill Liverpool & apparently its a tough / rough place yet I've never seen an ounce of trouble though as anywhere you go if you go looking for it you'll probably find it & if your not looking for it & are civil & polite to people anyone wanting to create a problem for you isn't tough there a bully & you'll probably find there not as tough as they make out with that attitude . , toughest people are the nicest people you'll meet I've found .... if you don't create a problem with them .

• Like 4

we used to tie up in greenock when i was on cable laying vessels in the 70.s all the yards were open in them days thousands of men worked in the yards the pubs closed at 10 o clock on the dot in them days, it was a war zone. some ruff old bars on the dock just outside custom house quey,.second would be along the dock road north canada dock liverpool .seen two women fighting in a bar there one gouged the others eye out ,but today they cleaned all the dodgy places up and the old boozers are gone or converted into high class cocktal bars for the yuppies , after they converted the dock sheds into apartments , sure you could find bother in most big cities if you looked for it but not the same as before .

I think reputations are always worse than reallity . , I've family up in Tower Hill Liverpool & apparently its a tough / rough place yet I've never seen an ounce of trouble though as anywhere you go if you go looking for it you'll probably find it & if your not looking for it & are civil & polite to people anyone wanting to create a problem for you isn't tough there a bully & you'll probably find there not as tough as they make out with that attitude . , toughest people are the nicest people you'll meet I've found .... if you don't create a problem with them .

I once had an old friend that once told me

Dont worry about the lads that are waving the guns around and shouting there mouths off

worry about the one behind them standing quiet and no gun in site

as when you see his gun he is the one that will fire.

still would not take the chance lol :laugh:

atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

i was chewing the fat with an old boy this morning and he had worked as a steel fixer all over the country from the 60's to the early 2000's and he was regaling me with stories of hard pubs and towns that he had frequented and it got me thinking is there any such places left in the U.K. .... I suppose back then places like the east end would have been a tough old place but with the invasion of foreigners that may well have changed ... as a youngster I always believed Glasgow was a rough area but every time I've been there it's been great ... so are there any places that are rough old gaffs in the old sense of the word ..........

I think the city has more gobby people, and kids who are more dangerous because they're more likely to use a weapon but the blokes in the country looks stronger and tougher on average from what I've noticed. Having said I'd guess (and its a huge guess) you're more likely to survive an altercation somewhere like here and just end up with a black eye, broken nose and a bruised ego....I find that where we used to live in shitsville seemed to have less 'hard guys' and more psychos