Countrymans Weekly

It seems to be very anti poaching and was lurcher not a poachers dog at one time

No never ,poachers all used greyhounds an cast off gun dogs,with guns so I read.

Was reason lurcher was bred to take the greyhound look off the dog when only the gentry were allowed hunt with them.

Sarcasms lost over the Internet ,lol
  • Like 2

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd love to do an article on this, but somehow I think that it might not be publishable! The thing is that the whole hare coursing debate is very divisive. On the one hand you have landowners who are

If a law is unjust, biased, unenforceable in its present form then surely the Law should be revoked or at the very least be reformed or redrafted. The United Kingdom has different legislation regardin

There's a new magazine coming out for those who think they're too hard core for the CMW . It's called "YOB DOG and RUNNING AWAY," it's sponsored by SUBARU.

It seems to be very anti poaching and was lurcher not a poachers dog at one time

No never ,poachers all used greyhounds an cast off gun dogs,with guns so I read.

Was reason lurcher was bred to take the greyhound look off the dog when only the gentry were allowed hunt with them.

Sarcasms lost over the Internet ,lol

Haha i was thinking it was sarcasm but you never know on here.

• Like 1

there was a topic on cmw on this site a year or so ago,and i stated that when it was the old shooting news.it was a brilliant read with good hunting down to earth writers.stopped buying it a couple of years ago when it started getting too political,full of adverts and lurchers and terriers dressed up in fancy dress,its now full of repetitive shite and seems full of fairy tales,most of the dog lads i know now call it the country maids weekly.lol.

Darcy should do one similar to edrd, some real talented dog men about, iv met a few and i know theres loads more out there, also some very good writer

I agree katchum still some real good dog men about be nice to hear there stories I don't buy cmw me old man does I think just to have a nosey in for sale section. There's still mad keen lads out there doing abit it's important to get there stories on pen and paper aswell as some of the older lads let's face it this ban is here to stay but if you got the lurcher bug you find excuses to keep going not to stop. I know one or 2 lads that might put pen to paper but they wouldn't for cmw type mags I think a subscription type would be the way to go ...

• Like 1

When the world was young,.the concept of a magazine that catered for the Lurcher, Terrier and Ferreting lads,... was a dream come true. :yes:Unfortunately,....life moves on,.times they are a'changing... :thumbs:

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. The CMW could do with the input of good men again.

• Like 2

It's sites like this that will see the demise in sales for CMW and the like, at a touch of a button you can read and interact on every type of field sport, plus have a good row about muslims, Sunderland or Tyson Fury!!

There's some really good writers on here IMO, I know some write in CMW as well

• Like 5

Sporting dog when it was magazine style before it all changed to cmw an went paper format.

Used to go in newsagents with me saved up dinner money pick it up and then ask for packet of green rizlas and half ounce of old Holborn,lol ah to be 15 again.

Old holborn feck me thats a lung ripper lol

Edited by green dragon

Sporting dog when it was magazine style before it all changed to cmw an went paper format.

Used to go in newsagents with me saved up dinner money pick it up and then ask for packet of green rizlas and half ounce of old Holborn,lol ah to be 15 again.

LOL, I hope you mean Shooting News. I doubt The Sporting Dog Journal was ever in the newsagents.

• Like 2

LOL, I hope you mean Shooting News. I doubt The Sporting Dog Journal was ever in the newsagents.

There was a mag called Sporting Dog mid 80's in UK. I signed up and sent off payment for 12 month. They managed to produce 5 I think. Never got me money back :-)

• Like 1

:yes:Another one was, "Working Terrier and Running Dog."

Produced on a monthly basis by a couple of guys in the Midlands..

They were not into Terriers or Lurchers,...it was simply a business venture for them.

The magazine was a real good looking product, full color cover job...the full works.

We only had Shooting News/Countryman' Weekly and its partner, Sporting Dog,...

(The good old Earth Dog&Running Dog magazine was not yet devised.)

When the new magazine was suggested, Dave Harcombe phoned me and said,." Phil, quick,...get your pen out,...these crazy guys are paying £50.00 an article ! "

Back then,. Shooting News writers were still on 15 Guineas.

So,....like a few others,..I bought myself six new Biro, a big fat writing pad...and filled me boots... :laugh:

Halcyon Days, dear reader, Halcyon Days... :thumbs:

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 8

There was a mag called Sporting Dog mid 80's in UK. I signed up and sent off payment for 12 month. They managed to produce 5 I think. Never got me money back :-)
Yep it was about Labrador lurchers ,whippets ,borzois etc ,seen couple copies on ebay once for silly money, wished I never got rid of mine, not to be confused with the pitbull one,lol