Of Dogs And Deer

Ive just read this after reading some good reviews, cracking book for short stories of how ut was late 18th century

IT is a good book,,there's a documentary on DVDs about his life,,,done by a woman who lived in one of his houses,,,

Just to be pedantic ,,,it's the late 19 th century mate,,,

i always get it mixed up! 18th century i consider to be 1800+ however, it's actually the 1700's thats known as the 1800's confusing sh17!

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Who gives a f**k, there's coppers, antis, tree huggers, whale savers etc all over the Internet.... But as long as you speak in the secret hunting code everything thing will be just fine....   Right

Haha wouldn't be THL without the annual "is artic a copper?" thread.   He was in a boy band though. LOL.

Policeman, postman, plasterer or any profession starting with P lol if you have the passion for what we do and post interesting topics on the forum, that is good enough for me!

Posted Images

About whats it worth.i have one still in it's delivery packet.never been opened so can't even tell you what number it is and i'd only take that sort money for it.I bought two and have read my one and a good book in general :yes: but cwd are quite easy on dry arable land :thumbs: ...

• Like 2

About whats it worth.i have one still in it's delivery packet.never been opened so can't even tell you what number it is and i'd only take that sort money for it.I bought two and have read my one and a good book in general :yes: but cwd are quite easy on dry arable land :thumbs: ...

Maybe because I live smack bang in the middle of those Cwd, but back in the day my dogs found them very easy to pick off. Anyway it seemed that way. Riddled with them, I see more Cwd than rabbits these days. I never get bored seeing them though..

• Like 2

Dogs and Deer is IMO Darcy's best book, out of the ones I've read. I'd like to read "Now That's what I Call Lurcher Work" 1, 2, and 3 but can't spare the money to buy them ATM. Thought "Scooby" was good and "Running Dog Addiction" too but found the "Passion for Coursing" ones a bit boring to be honest. I guess that just reflects on me rather than the books.

Wouldn't mind a look at the big "Coursing" coffee table book though!!!

This old book MF? had it about 25 years seen them go for up to £150 on ebay.

9780950214894-uk_zpsvsfdxinc.jpg

No, not that one though I enjoyed it when I read it years ago. The one I meant was Darcy's one here http://www.ebay.ie/itm/The-hare-and-the-swift-hound-Jonathan-darcy-working-lurcher-book-/282129386762?hash=item41b038cd0a:g:AwYAAOSw-itXqi-3 "The Hare and the Swift Hound".

I'd like a copy of Dutch Salmons one too.I think it has a similar title to the one in your picture.

Here we are http://www.high-lonesomebooks.com/pages/books/15589/dutch-salmon/gazehounds-coursing

enjoyed the dutch salmon book a good read.

Wonder if Whin likes it.
Come all without, Come all within, You won't see nothing like the Mighty Whin

Dogs and Deer is IMO Darcy's best book, out of the ones I've read. I'd like to read "Now That's what I Call Lurcher Work" 1, 2, and 3 but can't spare the money to buy them ATM. Thought "Scooby" was good and "Running Dog Addiction" too but found the "Passion for Coursing" ones a bit boring to be honest. I guess that just reflects on me rather than the books.

Wouldn't mind a look at the big "Coursing" coffee table book though!!!

This old book MF? had it about 25 years seen them go for up to £150 on ebay.

9780950214894-uk_zpsvsfdxinc.jpg

No, not that one though I enjoyed it when I read it years ago. The one I meant was Darcy's one here http://www.ebay.ie/itm/The-hare-and-the-swift-hound-Jonathan-darcy-working-lurcher-book-/282129386762?hash=item41b038cd0a:g:AwYAAOSw-itXqi-3 "The Hare and the Swift Hound".

I'd like a copy of Dutch Salmons one too.I think it has a similar title to the one in your picture.

Here we are http://www.high-lonesomebooks.com/pages/books/15589/dutch-salmon/gazehounds-coursing

enjoyed the dutch salmon book a good read.

Wonder if Whin likes it.
Come all without, Come all within, You won't see nothing like the Mighty Whin

Dutch salmo.

Maybe because I live smack bang in the middle of those Cwd, but back in the day my dogs found them very easy to pick off. Anyway it seemed that way. Riddled with them, I see more Cwd than rabbits these days. I never get bored seeing them though..

Once a dog has the knack of them then i agree totaly,but then a flooded water meadow sure sorted the wheat from the chaff :thumbs: ,dear little deer they are i agree mate and they given me some good old sport i'll never forget in years gone past.Mind you the smell of their feet ain't something to forget either :laugh:..

Out of all the books (I've not seen or read any of the terrier books) this is the best one. However some of the photos were out of focus, just like my one here :)

I'v got that book here aswell bought it for about £80 few year back decent read

IMO, Writing wise "Scooby" was Darcy's best, as it had a personal touch. Photograpically, the hare and the swift hound was excellent, but was equalled by dogs and deer due to its better writing. The lamping book didn't work for me. No chapters. No real thread. But an obvious labour of love.

• Like 1

want to take me to observe them in there natural habitat??? ??

Once a dog has the knack of them then i agree totaly,but then a flooded water meadow sure sorted the wheat from the chaff :thumbs: ,dear little deer they are i agree mate and they given me some good old sport i'll never forget in years gone past.Mind you the smell of their feet ain't something to forget either :laugh:..

On wet boggy ground they can sure churn through it, almost like they are skimming across. For younger dogs they were OK to train on, but an older educated dog just too easy.

I'm sure your feet would pong too if they were in wet boggy fields all day haha.... Yes they do hum!

• Like 1

On wet boggy ground they can sure churn through it, almost like they are skimming across. For younger dogs they were OK to train on, but an older educated dog just too easy.

I'm sure your feet would pong too if they were in wet boggy fields all day haha.... Yes they do hum!

Are they good eating had muntjac but never CWD.

Are they good eating had muntjac but never CWD.

Yes very nice indeed, however Christmas just gone I had a nice joint of Pere David from our local butcher, that was the tastiest venison to date that I've tried.

• Like 3