Types Of Guard Dogs For Ur Yard .ie. Kennells And House.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

won't be long before they start hitting the headlines.Great dogs if you are doing security/patrol work or using them for sport knvp shutzhund french ring etc but defiantly not what I'd call a yard or

Thats my yard dog kelpie x collie he's tough as old boots and has shifted a few unsavoury caracters from my yard at night on a more than a few occasions.   Also he cracks the whip work wise because

ive nothing worth stealing but living rural ive known plenty of folks targeted by thieves for what little they do have from heating oil to a pensioners savings... ragnar is here to protect my dad and

Posted Images

You guys are flipping this around..what I was saying was how do you guys know your dog will protect or guard if you never put it to the test? Sorry you dont. So You have a dog that barks or shows teeth and that makes him a guardian or protector? I don't think so..

well this is my take on it, say 95% joe public would feel frightened , by a 80lb gsd or 60lb collie showing its teeth , on the dogs property . now unless its that 5% nut job = pill head etc who will take the dog on, most dogs wont (have to be tested ) will they . as been said if the dog barks and lets you know its done its job :yes: , i keep a rounders bat ( small pick axe handle) by my bed, if agro i will do the rest my self. my dogs dont guard they lick you to death lol, they are lurchers not guard dogs, if i wanted a guard dog i get a well bred old type alsatian =gsd a 80lb dog of that breeding would stop the above no prob . :thumbs::yes:

You're right about any dog scaring off 95% of people,but think about the degenerates who make up the majority breaking into houses etc

I'd have one in the house to warn me if i had another,and if it had the right qualities to back me up then that's better,but I'd want to know one way or the other!

I wouldn't want a nasty surprise when it pissed itself and f****d off,leaving me in the pitch black,in the middle of my garden,in me dressing gown armed with a rounders bat trying to fight off 2 marauding bagheads :laugh:

imagine a 120 pound rotty in the corner of the garden,with it's tail between it's legs barking at us as I'm getting my head kicked in :D

well that true, :thumbs: it that 5% who break in who need stopping. suppose then you may as well get a dog from proper working guard dog kennels , that are bred and tested parents . i still say a 80lb gsd from well bred stock, from guarding kennels will be just right . ive said before i knew a bloke who trainned police/ army dogs, and yeh alot dont make it they either to viscous wont loose when they bite, or lack guts if pushed . But he told me get the right one thats brave/loyal and they die for there owner :yes: thats the alsatian i am on about :yes:

I've never known an Army dog fail for being too vicious.

There's a dog which works with the SAS that has 6 confirmed kills...

• Like 1

Just curious as to what happens in law ,if your dog does bite an intruder on private property .All very well having a guard dog but you need to know the consequences too .

I don't think it's been tested in court yet but in theory even with the changes to the DDA you should be fine if they were on your property unlawfully. Of course never say your dog is a guard dog, it's just a pet that lives in the yard ;)

I'd think really carefully before getting a dog to guard dogs, if your dogs get out of the kennel will they try and fight the guard or vice versa? I used to keep bandogs to guard my bulldogs until one of my bulldogs got loose and decided he wanted to take on two 110lb bandogs :no: came home to one very dead dog and two banged up bandogs. I personally won't use dogs to guard dogs after that.

I wouldn't use a dog to guard anything of any real value.A dog is OK to stop an opportunist gear head who thinks they're going to rob your shed or break in and nick your tele but if someone really wants something it only takes a handful of slug pellets in a lump of meat and your guard dog is dead I under an hour.

My guard dog is in the house,if the mutts outside open up i open the door and loose the Akita,it leaves the house with only 1 intent and looking for slug pelleted infested meat is not high on its agenda.I totally agree though,if a scrote wants your mutts he will have em,apart from the unfortunate soul that the Akita chased over the garden wall and mullered in the corner of the field,he screamed like a child until i called Tuko to heel,he and his mucker have never returned.

• Like 5

You guys are flipping this around..what I was saying was how do you guys know your dog will protect or guard if you never put it to the test? Sorry you dont. So You have a dog that barks or shows teeth and that makes him a guardian or protector? I don't think so..

well this is my take on it, say 95% joe public would feel frightened , by a 80lb gsd or 60lb collie showing its teeth , on the dogs property . now unless its that 5% nut job = pill head etc who will take the dog on, most dogs wont (have to be tested ) will they . as been said if the dog barks and lets you know its done its job :yes: , i keep a rounders bat ( small pick axe handle) by my bed, if agro i will do the rest my self. my dogs dont guard they lick you to death lol, they are lurchers not guard dogs, if i wanted a guard dog i get a well bred old type alsatian =gsd a 80lb dog of that breeding would stop the above no prob . :thumbs::yes:

You're right about any dog scaring off 95% of people,but think about the degenerates who make up the majority breaking into houses etc

I'd have one in the house to warn me if i had another,and if it had the right qualities to back me up then that's better,but I'd want to know one way or the other!

I wouldn't want a nasty surprise when it pissed itself and f****d off,leaving me in the pitch black,in the middle of my garden,in me dressing gown armed with a rounders bat trying to fight off 2 marauding bagheads :laugh:

imagine a 120 pound rotty in the corner of the garden,with it's tail between it's legs barking at us as I'm getting my head kicked in :D

well that true, :thumbs: it that 5% who break in who need stopping. suppose then you may as well get a dog from proper working guard dog kennels , that are bred and tested parents . i still say a 80lb gsd from well bred stock, from guarding kennels will be just right . ive said before i knew a bloke who trainned police/ army dogs, and yeh alot dont make it they either to viscous wont loose when they bite, or lack guts if pushed . But he told me get the right one thats brave/loyal and they die for there owner :yes: thats the alsatian i am on about :yes:

I've never known an Army dog fail for being too vicious.

There's a dog which works with the SAS that has 6 confirmed kills...

(police dog) i was on about, not army dog .!!

Just curious as to what happens in law ,if your dog does bite an intruder on private property .All very well having a guard dog but you need to know the consequences too .

I don't think it's been tested in court yet but in theory even with the changes to the DDA you should be fine if they were on your property unlawfully. Of course never say your dog is a guard dog, it's just a pet that lives in the yard ;)

I'd think really carefully before getting a dog to guard dogs, if your dogs get out of the kennel will they try and fight the guard or vice versa? I used to keep bandogs to guard my bulldogs until one of my bulldogs got loose and decided he wanted to take on two 110lb bandogs :no: came home to one very dead dog and two banged up bandogs. I personally won't use dogs to guard dogs after that.

I wouldn't use a dog to guard anything of any real value.A dog is OK to stop an opportunist gear head who thinks they're going to rob your shed or break in and nick your tele but if someone really wants something it only takes a handful of slug pellets in a lump of meat and your guard dog is dead I under an hour.

My guard dog is in the house,if the mutts outside open up i open the door and loose the Akita,it leaves the house with only 1 intent and looking for slug pelleted infested meat is not high on its agenda.I totally agree though,if a scrote wants your mutts he will have em,apart from the unfortunate soul that the Akita chased over the garden wall and mullered in the corner of the field,he screamed like a child until i called Tuko to heel,he and his mucker have never returned.
always liked the look of the Akita very regal looking,doubt I'd ever own one now, yours American or jap type.

An uncle of mine has a highly trained belgian mallinois it would even herd cattle with ease as an extra but he spent so much time opening and shutting gates and doors to prevent the postman or a visitor getting accidentally attacked that he nipped into town for 10 minutes one day and when he came home his gun was stolen from house while dog was locked in yard. What are these dogs like if young kids open a wrong door or gate will they attack a small child thats not a family member they seem to be more hassle than the benifets you get from them apart from the fact that the dog might cost 10,000 to buy and get trained so he might protect 5,000 worth of tools. They are a smashing looking specimen and will im sure serve the owner well and drop on command to prevent an attack but it has to be stressful always looking over your shoulder in case something goes wrong accidents can happen.

Sounds to me it was trained wrong . A good dog knows when to attack . I know a German women who trains them . She came over the other week with her Mali . Fully trained I was playing stroking it etc . She made one command in the middle of playing with it , it was straight up and by her side . Then she said if I did my next command your f****d . He watched everyone and every movement around him but wasnt wanting to kill everyone .
this dog doesnt want to kill everyone either but he,ll sit beside his owner giving you the dirty eye waiting on a command to be honest i dont know anything about training them but i have trained other dogs and they dont always do what you tell them they have their bad days and dont always give the perfect retrieve but you can start again. I look at this 90 pound of muscle and think how well is he trained and what if he has a bad day now maybe im wrong and dont know enough or understand the breed ill stand to be corrected im just interested to hear opinions from lads that do work the breed and fair play to them.

An uncle of mine has a highly trained belgian mallinois it would even herd cattle with ease as an extra but he spent so much time opening and shutting gates and doors to prevent the postman or a visitor getting accidentally attacked that he nipped into town for 10 minutes one day and when he came home his gun was stolen from house while dog was locked in yard. What are these dogs like if young kids open a wrong door or gate will they attack a small child thats not a family member they seem to be more hassle than the benifets you get from them apart from the fact that the dog might cost 10,000 to buy and get trained so he might protect 5,000 worth of tools. They are a smashing looking specimen and will im sure serve the owner well and drop on command to prevent an attack but it has to be stressful always looking over your shoulder in case something goes wrong accidents can happen.

Sounds to me it was trained wrong . A good dog knows when to attack . I know a German women who trains them . She came over the other week with her Mali . Fully trained I was playing stroking it etc . She made one command in the middle of playing with it , it was straight up and by her side . Then she said if I did my next command your f****d . He watched everyone and every movement around him but wasnt wanting to kill everyone .
this dog doesnt want to kill everyone either but he,ll sit beside his owner giving you the dirty eye waiting on a command to be honest i dont know anything about training them but i have trained other dogs and they dont always do what you tell them they have their bad days and dont always give the perfect retrieve but you can start again. I look at this 90 pound of muscle and think how well is he trained and what if he has a bad day now maybe im wrong and dont know enough or understand the breed ill stand to be corrected im just interested to hear opinions from lads that do work the breed and fair play to them.

bloody hell thats big for a pur bel mal(90 lb), is this dog got gsd in its line .?

bloody hell thats big for a pur bel mal(90 lb), is this dog got gsd in its line .?
not sure bird they said it was a belgian shepard is a belgian shepard and a belgian mallinois the same breed i might be wrong but they did say he was very big and powerful for that breed i certainly wouldnt like him hanging off me knife or not i think i would come second in that fight.

not sure bird they said it was a belgian shepard is a belgian shepard and a belgian mallinois the same breed i might be wrong but they did say he was very big and powerful for that breed i certainly wouldnt like him hanging off me knife or not i think i would come second in that fight.

out of the 3 types belgian shepherds , the bel mal the biggest , and they are out xing them to gsds, to get bigger type dogs , so it might have gsd in its lines .? any gsd type of 80-90lb will fook any bloke up like sais forget sleeves and all that , take a bite on the hand or leg no padding , it will be bloody painful. bloody Buck my 1x gsd x grey when he locks on to stuff you carnt get him off, he got hell of a jaw, plus his size :yes:

out of the 3 types belgian shepherds , the bel mal the biggest , and they are out xing them to gsds, to get bigger type dogs , so it might have gsd in its lines .? any gsd type of 80-90lb will fook any bloke up like sais forget sleeves and all that , take a bite on the hand or leg no padding , it will be bloody painful. bloody Buck my 1x gsd x grey when he locks on to stuff you carnt get him off, he got hell of a jaw, plus his size :yes:
yeah ive being bit by smaller dogs before and it bloody hurt the job you would have trying to break a 20 pound patterdale off something he doesnt want to let go of and i can imagine what a 90 pound dog can do. Any man that thinks he can shake off one of them is only fooling himself unless he has a gun and at the end of the day if you have a gun you can shoot a bull elephant ffs.

yeah ive being bit by smaller dogs before and it bloody hurt the job you would have trying to break a 20 pound patterdale off something he doesnt want to let go of and i can imagine what a 90 pound dog can do. Any man that thinks he can shake off one of them is only fooling himself unless he has a gun and at the end of the day if you have a gun you can shoot a bull elephant ffs.

:thumbs::yes:

post-53144-0-09301300-1468927192_thumb.jpg

ive nothing worth stealing but living rural ive known plenty of folks targeted by thieves for what little they do have from heating oil to a pensioners savings... ragnar is here to protect my dad and my daughter, hes excellent with kids and stockbroken... he has free range over 20 acres and sleeps in the house most nights

• Like 12