What Type Will Your Next Lurcher Be?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When the time comes I'll be looking for summat that is quick and might actually catch something as opposed to the useless curry thieving pot licking freeloaders that are farting on the settee next to

I only catch a hand full of rabbits,... for me, the craic is the main thing... I am just a part timer,...but the cur bitch I have now,..is a reliable marker/hunter.... So,...next time around ...(

Doing one justice? They don't need too go too fens fully conditioned up too match too do them justice mate ?   Good warm kennel quality feed plenty exercise and time too grow out and they can be wha

Posted Images

Why beddy out of interest mate?

I like the beddy bull grey cross iv seen a good few of them work ! I would of put a beddy X over my old bitch but she's really heavy and pup could of thrown wanting height that's why I put more grey into the breeding hopefully this bitch will make the grade
  • Like 1

And why?

My last 2 have been whippet x's,and I love their agility,turn and temperament but they've also cost a lot in vets bills over the years,and the one I have now also has collie and pointer in him too,and is very sensitive and can be hard work (I blame his strange eccentric behaviour on that).

So I'll look out for a gundog x or failing that a shepherd x for my next one,because if the dog was a bit easier going and durable I'd get out with it a lot more.

Sounds like you just want a bit more robustness in a dog. I dont blame you because its a bloody nuisance trying to work with the sensitive type. On the physical side genrally speaking if you stick to half crosses they will be more durable I think,and stay away from 3/4greyhounds because you will get just as many injuries unless the one you have is a bit careful of itself in which case it wouldnt do much for me personally. I like the reckless do or die attitude. I would keep a good dollop of the right whippet blood though. You would miss the good things you like about whippets I think. As for Beddy to help with coat,I would not bother with that as some suggest. Most Beddy/whippet coats Ive seen and owned are poor at best. Apart from that its skin that counts for more than the fur and thats why I prefer a short coat that lets me see the dog and a good strong hide under it.

Edit to add Bull/whippet greyhound.

i like the beddy type watched a fair number work since 1984 i agree with you on the coats the vast majority i have seen have been poor.

• Like 1

My nxt will be 1/4 border terrier x 3/4whippet. The four lurchers ive got at present will hopefully be around for a good while yet so wont be till they've gone. Im not a young man now so by time there gone ill be looking for little mouching dog & fancied this cross for a while now. Atb

• Like 2

When the time comes I'll be looking for summat that is quick and might actually catch something as opposed to the useless curry thieving pot licking freeloaders that are farting on the settee next to me every 3 mins!!!!!!

Failing that I getting a goldfish!

Matt

• Like 12

And why?

My last 2 have been whippet x's,and I love their agility,turn and temperament but they've also cost a lot in vets bills over the years,and the one I have now also has collie and pointer in him too,and is very sensitive and can be hard work (I blame his strange eccentric behaviour on that).

So I'll look out for a gundog x or failing that a shepherd x for my next one,because if the dog was a bit easier going and durable I'd get out with it a lot more.

Sounds like you just want a bit more robustness in a dog. I dont blame you because its a bloody nuisance trying to work with the sensitive type. On the physical side genrally speaking if you stick to half crosses they will be more durable I think,and stay away from 3/4greyhounds because you will get just as many injuries unless the one you have is a bit careful of itself in which case it wouldnt do much for me personally. I like the reckless do or die attitude. I would keep a good dollop of the right whippet blood though. You would miss the good things you like about whippets I think. As for Beddy to help with coat,I would not bother with that as some suggest. Most Beddy/whippet coats Ive seen and owned are poor at best. Apart from that its skin that counts for more than the fur and thats why I prefer a short coat that lets me see the dog and a good strong hide under it.

Edit to add Bull/whippet greyhound.

I think I will miss the agility and speed of the whippet x,I won't worry about it having a bit of whippet blood,but I get out with the dogs to relax and most of the time it's not relaxing taking this quirky,fragile fecker anywhere.

So something a bit more sturdy and steady next time for me.

Ive whippet x irish terrier she good on lamp got loads rabbits done few foxes teamed up i live ireland by the way she about 6 now got her bred with greyhound bit of whippet in him he very fast dog think il get good pup from them