Books That Inspired You As A Kid

Most guys on here of my generation are familiar with the film KES inspired by the book a kestrel for a knave, in my mind one of the best british films ever made, But a book that made a great impression on me as a kid was Wild Lone a book by Denys Watkins Pritchard pen name BB. It was about a fox written from the foxes point of view, which in the mind of a 9 year old when i read it was about as radical as you could get . Did any books have the same effect on you. :thumbs:

Edited by keepitcovert
  • Like 3

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Danny the Champion of the World. A Poachers Tale. Lurchers and Longdogs. All "BB"'s books.   That photo of the saluki with his gazelle in Walsh's L&L's was a really big influence for me....

Ah back in the day when they had proper rugs on them.Like 4 pouches of old Holborn spread out lol.

There you go PeskyWabbits!         The Open Air Boy by G.M.A. Hewett, al about fishing, catapult, bird-catching etc Great book

Posted Images

Not hunting related but I'd say the book that had the biggest impression on me as youngster was The Ragged-Trousered Philanthropists, really shaped how I look at the world.

Oh and Das Kapital of course ;)

• Like 1

Danny the Champion of the World. A Poachers Tale. Lurchers and Longdogs. All "BB"'s books.

That photo of the saluki with his gazelle in Walsh's L&L's was a really big influence for me....

Loved that Danny champion of the world book, had it on cassette too used to listen to it before bed probably 6/7 years old.

• Like 3

Danny the champion of the is a great one for any kid i loved it and the bfg ive read alot of books in my time but only one hunting book that was lurhers and long dogs by frank sheardown i enjoyed that i would of read more but couldnt justify the prices they want on ebay

• Like 1

Meditations,A book of five rings,The poetic Eddas and a huge book called something like 'the working dog' it was a massive encyclopedia on different types of types of working dog and rough summary of how they're trained/bred etc,I lost that when I was about 15 unfortunately.

It was old as well,probably be worth a few quid.

hmmmmmm cant remember the name of it now....story of a poacher who got a bag full of raisins and sat up all night putting a little slit in them and then a tiny bit of a sleeping pill and a stich to close it....then went out and scattered them through the woods..returned and lifted loads of sleeping phesants from where they slept...lol...probably bullshit but as a kid i wanted to be that guy.

• Like 2

hmmmmmm cant remember the name of it now....story of a poacher who got a bag full of raisins and sat up all night putting a little slit in them and then a tiny bit of a sleeping pill and a stich to close it....then went out and scattered them through the woods..returned and lifted loads of sleeping phesants from where they slept...lol...probably bullshit but as a kid i wanted to be that guy.

Sounds like danny the ch champion of the world

• Like 2