• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Few pics i took yesterday of the Red's out on the mountains..                  

Had myself a wander this morning,by heck it was cold brrrrrrrrrrr,where i went was hard work,i put my gps tracker on and i only walked 5.60 miles yet it took me almost 5 hours!! Uphill & uphill &a

Just a few pics from my wander this morning..   Zoomed in at 300mm     At 75mm       Mario...       Where i go to see the Red Deer..          

Posted Images

A good dear dog gets the nack for dear roe fallow and red back in the day if you were taking dear regular and I am three times a week ,you never ran anything else but dear With your dog they made it look easy,a dog that hits dear high up or at the Arse are not much use , and when the penny drops how to take them they become a very valuable machine,taking big numbers of fallow in a night and reds when dorpping on them

Kenneth Cassels, one of the founder members of the deerhound coursing club, had a pure deerhound bitch called Kirsty that he used to take Scottish reds on the hill with in the 1950's. I don't know how regularly, and I don't know if she ever took stags, but I remember him telling me how she took a hind by just launching at its neck, hardly leaving a mark on it. Not sure if the beast fell and broke its neck or if the dogs' bite was what broke the neck. Kenneth was no bullshitter so I have no reason to doubt what he said. But when you consider that the deerhound was bred specifically to take red deer on the hill, and was used this way successfully on a regular basis before the widespread use of firearms, it's hardly surprising.

Ahhh Kenneth Cassels, remember him refusing to shake my hand when one of my dogs beat one of his (Raith i think) when on my way to a coursing final on blue hare...But, he did do a lot for the coursing side of the deerhounds. There were a few other deerhounds about then that also took red deer hinds single handed..

Stags???? not heard of one of these fellows being taken, especially not with one dog.

If you had a dog running when Raith was about there's a good chance yours would've run against one of mine then. Riath was from Kenneth's 'I' litter (Sorisdale Macilraith). Bernard and Irene Hendy had Macilhinny and I had Macilree. I also had a bitch from his previous litter that broke her leg running at Dava.

Had myself a wander this morning,by heck it was cold brrrrrrrrrrr,where i went was hard work,i put my gps tracker on and i only walked 5.60 miles yet it took me almost 5 hours!! Uphill & uphill & then more uphill lol,on the tops it was sheer ice,i really shouldn't of went up there as it was dangerous & stupid on my behalf but we made it back safely,seen a few Red Deer,ten in total..as i got to the bottom.of the mountain i bumped into the Deerstalker & 3 guests,he asked if id seen any so i told him of their wherabouts & he asked if they were spooked or settled and to be fair they were settled,he said he had been watching me through a telescope haha & said my dogs were well behaved & never glanced towards the livestock up on the hill..anyhow it was hard going,the Red's don't make things easy even getting a pic is gard graft lol..& anyone thinking a Saluki x was good for the job in hand then think again lol..Mario 6 months old today,only thing he likes about Red Deer is eating their shite haha...

PSX_20160218_134555_zpshzgenled.jpg

Some picture that Fuji. Looks a lovely place to walk the dog, bet it was hard work getting up there.That is a well behaved dog mate :yes:

• Like 1

The water craic is true,they are phenomenal swimmers BUT a big part of their built in survival methods means they take to water as a form of safety,they do this VERY regularly,just as the Wildebeest & Bison do,Red Deer are exactly the same,with the Red's it probably comes from when they were hunted by wolves centuries ago,a stream,a lake,river,tarn or loch even when not overly deep they will take to the water in an aid to help them survive..they have no equal on our shores,a herd of 30 can pass you by not 50 yards away yet you barely hear them for their size they really are or can be light footed..fantastic animals

very true last season about 10 ran past us one night when out lamping, cleared a sheep net fence and into a wood didn't hear a thing! i couldn't believe how big they was it was the first time i had ever seen them

• Like 1

Went up to aviemore in last week of September for some rabbiting ,still some fine looking beasts about,hell of alot of high chairs everywhere,sat up in one and saw a few big lads,they very cautious when leaving the cover,could hear a stag every morning calling on the farm we stayed on,lovely sound to wake up to.atb dc

• Like 1

Kenneth Cassels, one of the founder members of the deerhound coursing club, had a pure deerhound bitch called Kirsty that he used to take Scottish reds on the hill with in the 1950's. I don't know how regularly, and I don't know if she ever took stags, but I remember him telling me how she took a hind by just launching at its neck, hardly leaving a mark on it. Not sure if the beast fell and broke its neck or if the dogs' bite was what broke the neck. Kenneth was no bullshitter so I have no reason to doubt what he said. But when you consider that the deerhound was bred specifically to take red deer on the hill, and was used this way successfully on a regular basis before the widespread use of firearms, it's hardly surprising.

Ahhh Kenneth Cassels, remember him refusing to shake my hand when one of my dogs beat one of his (Raith i think) when on my way to a coursing final on blue hare...But, he did do a lot for the coursing side of the deerhounds. There were a few other deerhounds about then that also took red deer hinds single handed..

Stags???? not heard of one of these fellows being taken, especially not with one dog.

If you had a dog running when Raith was about there's a good chance yours would've run against one of mine then. Riath was from Kenneth's 'I' litter (Sorisdale Macilraith). Bernard and Irene Hendy had Macilhinny and I had Macilree. I also had a bitch from his previous litter that broke her leg running at Dava.

Not one for remembering names matie..

Sorry to hear about your bitch breaking her leg..

Had myself a wander this morning,by heck it was cold brrrrrrrrrrr,where i went was hard work,i put my gps tracker on and i only walked 5.60 miles yet it took me almost 5 hours!! Uphill & uphill & then more uphill lol,on the tops it was sheer ice,i really shouldn't of went up there as it was dangerous & stupid on my behalf but we made it back safely,seen a few Red Deer,ten in total..as i got to the bottom.of the mountain i bumped into the Deerstalker & 3 guests,he asked if id seen any so i told him of their wherabouts & he asked if they were spooked or settled and to be fair they were settled,he said he had been watching me through a telescope haha & said my dogs were well behaved & never glanced towards the livestock up on the hill..anyhow it was hard going,the Red's don't make things easy even getting a pic is gard graft lol..& anyone thinking a Saluki x was good for the job in hand then think again lol..Mario 6 months old today,only thing he likes about Red Deer is eating their shite haha...PSX_20160218_134555_zpshzgenled.jpg

What a top picture that is mate

• Like 1