In one of Lea Mcnallys books there is a black n white photo of two deerhounds pulling a stag. There is also writings and photos of cairn terriers working fox. For you lads interested in red deer give them books a read. 40's 50' n 60'era but good stuff. atb.

• Like 3

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Few pics i took yesterday of the Red's out on the mountains..                  

Had myself a wander this morning,by heck it was cold brrrrrrrrrrr,where i went was hard work,i put my gps tracker on and i only walked 5.60 miles yet it took me almost 5 hours!! Uphill & uphill &a

Just a few pics from my wander this morning..   Zoomed in at 300mm     At 75mm       Mario...       Where i go to see the Red Deer..          

Posted Images

Very true Neil lots of people do lots of things for a challenge and that's their choice. I just don't think it's worth it just to say my dog has decked a red stag. But someone who has climbed Everest wouldn't need a Red Stag taking dog to boost his own ego he'd have done that on his own merit.

Edited by Allan P

I would have thought the lads that ran the Red had nothing to do with boosting the dog owners ego,it's all part of the Lurcher game. Every time you slip a dog no matter what the quarry,wether it be a rabbit,hare,fox ,deer it could well be its last slip .

Edited by MickC
  • Like 6

If that's what people did then that's fine but it would not be for me if it was legal. The stags I have seen around Dartmoor are phenomenal looking animals and I would say the odds are stacked in itheir favour. If my dog did manage to bring one down what am I going to do with it I hunt mainly on my own. I totally agree with you Mick every time you are hunting your dog there is a chance your dog could be killed so why heighten that chance by slipping on a massive animal that I'm not that keen on eating and is bloody hard work to gralloch and butcher and get home. But if that was your thing then fair play but for me I would stick to things that I can fit in my Roe sack.

Fuji just showed the wife the last pic of your black and tan dog-she loved it and said I want him!!! lol,she also asked what camera and lense you use?atb dc

Hey up matey,i have 4 Canon Dslr's BUT none are any better than the other to be fair as ive only got cheap lenses for them,they do for me though..the last pic of Boots the black & tan dog was taken with a Canon 50d i got for free off Darcy lol & a standard 18-55m lens ? Tell your Mrs the dogs all hers haha ?

• Like 2

Why bother, to much hard work to process them to much chance of getting your dog killed or injured and don't taste as good as a Roe anyway.

There's folks climb Mount Everest because its there to be climbed, and there's a chance you could be killed.

yeah but there doing it once not every week.the chances are if your dog lasts half a season on them its done well.is that worth it.?friend of mine shot a stag and it rolled down a valley,took him 6 hours to get it out(that what he told me)

• Like 1

Some say that chased meat gets tainted from the adrenaline rush, and that shot meat there is none.

I have eaten both and have never noticed the difference to be fair, but I am far from a food connoisseur, more of a wipe it's arse rip it's horns off and get it in the frying pan kind of man.

Or it could possibly be down to my useful bitza working like a ninja assassin :)

• Like 3