• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Few pics i took yesterday of the Red's out on the mountains..                  

Had myself a wander this morning,by heck it was cold brrrrrrrrrrr,where i went was hard work,i put my gps tracker on and i only walked 5.60 miles yet it took me almost 5 hours!! Uphill & uphill &a

Just a few pics from my wander this morning..   Zoomed in at 300mm     At 75mm       Mario...       Where i go to see the Red Deer..          

Posted Images

Been up to Inverness and avimore years ago seen plenty big reds but the trophy hunters came in so they are not as bigas they used to be .been on ex moor seen big red there I suppose that has gone the same way had a trip out recently not 20 miles from manchester biggest I have seen in years and I mean years pity it has been banned hunting with dogs as I think a couple of deerhound bull greyhounds would struggle some big fellows I've seen just hope that doesn't go the same way nice to see them

• Like 2

Kenneth Cassels, one of the founder members of the deerhound coursing club, had a pure deerhound bitch called Kirsty that he used to take Scottish reds on the hill with in the 1950's. I don't know how regularly, and I don't know if she ever took stags, but I remember him telling me how she took a hind by just launching at its neck, hardly leaving a mark on it. Not sure if the beast fell and broke its neck or if the dogs' bite was what broke the neck. Kenneth was no bullshitter so I have no reason to doubt what he said. But when you consider that the deerhound was bred specifically to take red deer on the hill, and was used this way successfully on a regular basis before the widespread use of firearms, it's hardly surprising.

Ahhh Kenneth Cassels, remember him refusing to shake my hand when one of my dogs beat one of his (Raith i think) when on my way to a coursing final on blue hare...But, he did do a lot for the coursing side of the deerhounds. There were a few other deerhounds about then that also took red deer hinds single handed..

Stags???? not heard of one of these fellows being taken, especially not with one dog.

Culachy estate by fort Augustus apparently had a huge kennel of working deerhounds at one time. The lovat hotel used to have huge scratch marks on the oak panel walls where they were kept between the wars.

I heard a story that a tramp unfortunately wandered into the yard and they nearly tore his arm off.

Lea McNally covered them along with pics in one of his books. I'll dig it out.

• Like 1

Yea I'd love to see how people carry these beasts back to the vehicle because be very sick killing them and leaving them for the foxes !

butcher them in field ???? 6 pieces are easier to carry then one big thing. all theory for me tho ;)
Ah no doubt that's how it's done if your close but can't imagine many people doing it few miles from the car

I would say people used to drop the guts out of them straight away and pull them over to a trail/foresters path/peat track( handy if they have a rack,good handles) to be picked up by a vehicle from there later on or if out on the hill away from any access points the beast would be field dressed where it lay and picked up later when it's dark with a quad and then taken to the closest access point.The hardest place I'd guess to move them from would be marshy ground but I would also say not all the beast caught would be killed either.Stalkers take them off the hill traditionally using a horse or they do the same using a quad or argocats.

Edited by MickC
  • Like 5

Am sure years ago in the 80,s and 90, s quite a few lads took them with there mongrel cur crosses. I dare say even a determined pair of 23 to 24 inch mongrels with the right desire and balls could get a few over, and most I would say would of been caught against a dyke fence gutter or other obstacle that slowed or stopped the red in its tracks. Plus a couple of keen young lads as well. So yeah i reckon they can be done . Just an old pic of some road kill from very early 90, s Atb

post-34359-0-39096900-1455799486_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

I would say people used to drop the guts out of them straight away and pull them over to a trail/foresters path/peat track( handy if they have a rack,good handles) to be picked up by a vehicle from there later on or if out on the hill away from any access points the beast would be field dressed where it lay and picked up later when it's dark with a quad and then taken to the closest access point.The hardest place I'd guess to move them from would be marshy ground but I would also say not all the beast caught would be killed either.Stalkers take them off the hill traditionally using a horse or they do the same using a quad or argocats.

Thats all very well if you have a 4X4, a quad or the right mentality. . . . . . . so many don't.