Jobs - Love 'em? Hate 'em?

I'll start with mine.. Currently working as a private hire driver doing airport runs for crew from the ships of the oil and gas industry. My job consists of taking people from all around the world back and forth between their ships and the airports as they sign off and on between time at sea and time at home. 99.9% of them are from outside of these islands. Before anyone starts rolling their eyes and thinking "not another post about foreigners living here", they are just everyday working class people from everywhere around the world trying to get home or to work like the rest of us. Most can speak very good English becasue its the official language of the sea, so it's great to have a chat about the normal every day for people like me elsewhere in the world. I've lost count of the nationalities I've spoken to over the last 6 months or so, topics like fishing, hunting, sunday dinner tradtions, etc, it's great! Most genuine, friendly people I've had the pleasure of speaking to are the Croatians. I haven't picked one up yet who wasn't genuinely a nice person. That's the good part..

The big downsides are that it's unsoiciable hours for the most part. The work is helped or hampered by the nature of the sea - when it's rough the ships can't come in and everything goes on stop, so we have to work at short notice and have to be extremely flexible.

Anybody else? :)

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gobbling off........kind of bars are you working the door at?..?

I had a proper job years ago, hated it ! Then when I worked for myself you just had to work when the earner presented itself, this has involved cancelling holidays 2 days before you are due to fly, w

During the Autumn/Winter months,.into the early Spring,..I trap moles and honour a few contracts, to control rabbits/squirrels, etc... When the weather starts to warm up,..I go on the Wasps....   B

Posted Images

Ok I will say a few words,,,I've two jobs,,one is working the doors,,,,nothing much to say about that ,,apart from folk are cunnts when there half way drunk...

The other security job I do ,,working 3 twelve hour night shifts,,fri,,sat,,sun,,,at a hostel ,,,watching monitors,,we have all sorts in our place,,,family's waiting to be housed are the most common,,,then single mothers with kids,,or babies,,,a few single women,,and a few men with kids,,,,

Some of the single parants,,are fleeing domestic violence ,,,one of wich is a man and kid fleeing D.V....

We also have a lot of nationalitys,,,a good few Africans and Eastern Europeans....

Now I will be perfectly honest here,,,most of the trouble we get at our place,,is from the White English ,,,we've usually got one or two absolute shit family's in,,,that won't go by the rules,,,cause loads of problems,,,then think everybody else is blame for trouble...

• Like 5

Mines not to bad I work in a factory and if I'm not vibrio etching then I'm packing boxes ... The bosses arnt on your back and 9/10 they're asking you to slow down because I'd be doing myself out of work ...

The money's not overly great but 8 till 4:30 mon - thurs and 8 till 1:30 on a Friday suits me

Ok I will say a few words,,,I've two jobs,,one is working the doors,,,,nothing much to say about that ,,apart from folk are cunnts when there half way drunk...

The other security job I do ,,working 3 twelve hour night shifts,,fri,,sat,,sun,,,at a hostel ,,,watching monitors,,we have all sorts in our place,,,family's waiting to be housed are the most common,,,then single mothers with kids,,or babies,,,a few single women,,and a few men with kids,,,,

Some of the single parants,,are fleeing domestic violence ,,,one of wich is a man and kid fleeing D.V....

We also have a lot of nationalitys,,,a good few Africans and Eastern Europeans....

Now I will be perfectly honest here,,,most of the trouble we get at our place,,is from the White English ,,,we've usually got one or two absolute shit family's in,,,that won't go by the rules,,,cause loads of problems,,,then think everybody else is blame for trouble...

never met a drunk man who's a bigger cunnts than a sober bouncer.

• Like 1

Well I peel spuds for two hours in the mornings, most are not sociable at all, never get a word out of them. The best bit is I am finished by 9am and get time to do the Ironing while watching Gold Rush repeats. :boogy::D

TC

I am addicted to gold rush ... a few weeks ago Parker set up a questions & answers on facebook with his grandad... he had to cancel it as the old lad decided he was going to play bridge instead :laugh:

I'm enjoying fencing at the moment. I've not been stuck on any sites lately, lots of small jobs for local councils. If the weather would just give us a break I'd be pretty happy.

• Like 3

I had a proper job years ago, hated it !

Then when I worked for myself you just had to work when the earner presented itself, this has involved cancelling holidays 2 days before you are due to fly, working some very indecent hours, working days without sleep which looking back was dangerous as f**k especially when you are driving at 3 am and start hallucinating on the motorway......but when the opportunities present themselves you have to just go and the rewards are aometimes alright.

Pretty much retired now, if stuff comes up that I want to do I may do it other than that I will piss about on my little farm without a care in the world.

Do I miss the adrenaline of putting yourself about and the hectic southeast of England ?........not for a long time now.

I've been well off, I've been skint......and I never batted an eyelid at either.

I liked what I did, but I like being retired more ! Lol

• Like 10