Another Plummer

The big names didn't sell as many dogs that people might think people will bread 5 times away from a dog that came off a big name and still say it's a big name dog how many people will say this is a big name dog and the big name hasn't bred a litter for 30 years most big names would keep their working line and sell their pretty line

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Money in terriers is always going to be a point to argue over. Iv only ever paid money for 1 dog and that was a plummer. Because I wanted to try one and I didn't know anyone that had them. But ever

Im only winding you up pal luke you did with fireman I must say you bit a lot harder on an empty hook than fireman did pmsl and there's a saying were im from,if you can't take it don't give it atb wit

This hunting life is becoming an absolute shambles,bitching over the price of a terrier,if you don't like the price look else where.My pal has just paid over a grand for a French Bulldog for his missu

Thats me? up to nothing. Its all easier said than done. All the local lads give it up and give their dogs away a long time ago. Been brought up around it with my old man who stopped after the ban. Who do i go out with? Met plenty of lads, all trying to sell me half hearted dogs or bought in pups.

• Like 3

Proud as punch fd and rich as an Arab sheikh. See, you guys are doing it all wrong-you makes can't beat taking a couple of makes you wonder what these bullshiters do with all the money grand off some youngster who hasn't read your post about going out with old guys and cadging a free pup. When the youngsters pup has it's first season you get him to breed from it and buy the litter back at 'working mens price' and punt them out for £2000!

Bunch of mugs you guys giving all that wonga away....

Proud as punch fd and rich as an Arab sheikh. See, you guys are doing it all wrong-you can't beat taking a couple of grand off some youngster who hasn't read your post about going out with old guys and cadging a free pup. When the youngsters pup has it's first season you get him to breed from it and buy the litter back at 'working mens price' and punt them out for £2000!

In all seriousness mate ,would you consider gifting a pup to a working home that erred to the digging side .

Proud as punch fd and rich as an Arab sheikh. See, you guys are doing it all wrong-you can't beat taking a couple of grand off some youngster who hasn't read your post about going out with old guys and cadging a free pup. When the youngsters pup has it's first season you get him to breed from it and buy the litter back at 'working mens price' and punt them out for £2000!

In all seriousness mate ,would you consider gifting a pup to a working home that erred to the digging side .

FD I gave pups away and sold some. Most to digging guys. When I packed in I gave my stud dog and 3 bitches to a chap who had bought a bitch from me a couple of years previously and worked her hard. I had been offered well into four figures for the dog-he was game as they come and passed his type and qualities on to his progeny. I gave him to the guy because he had the same ethic as me and carried on the line,breeding for work. So we're on the same page regarding the matter really. It is good if folks help each other out but sometimes you have to buy in its as simple as that.

Not everyone has connections so doing your homework and sourcing the best you can may mean paying a decent wedge but will pay off in the long run. Did for me!

And foxbolter- you dont seem like the sharpest tool in the box but dont believe everything you read on the internet.

• Like 1

Personally I have seen Plummers studded for free, Plummer half crosses all gifted or as near as, and Plummers with papers sold at cost of injections and docking.

The half crosses all went to working homes - 90% digging - all doing very well. The Plummers were wrong colour (ie tricolour) - doing well above and below (no ratting) - so well one owner made it his business to contact the other owner and buy his dog in.

The coats on some are very fine - the Vandal lines seem to have better coats - maybe maybe not - just what I have seen.

Stormyboy I enjoyed the wind up but the truth and you have seen it - £450 a pup shite bred with third party (often friends or family who also happen to win at certain closed shows) papers is crazy - better bred given the problems in the breed might be ok - but I know people who have bought pups on advice only for them to turn out wrong in all sense of the meaning at full price - myself and friends included.

Whllst a single ball wont affect work rate - no teeth (an exception to that line) and a fearful submissive 17" bitch (known to the line but untold to us) will affect working ability should the dog go to ground. (perhaps the 17" bitch could have saved buying in a whippet who knows?)

I wont lie - most of the working stuff does go at cost or gifted but I have seen good black dogs go for serious money to folk unknown to the owners in the order of money Stormyboy mentioned.

Its been mentioned about buying in a dog that will work serve and befriend you for 8 - 10 years - personally I would pay the money to get something healthy and hale at a cost knowing what I am buying in than taking in something I get a connection with feed, look after and then decide having had my kids involved with that bringing up PTS.

If such a dog dies naturally or is killed I can explain it to my kids - PTS seems cold when active pet homing is available.

That said each to their own.

• Like 2

Why didn't you just work the dog yourself? And three bitches, a lot of readiness for the dealer

I did, but circumstance dictated working away from home for a spell and they were sat in kennels too much for my liking,my wife looking after them and 2 young kids. They were put on loan at first but I decided to let them stay there. And I can assure you they would not have been there in the first place if he was a dealer-read the post again about work ethic...

HGN yes I have seen it all with Plummers. As you know thats why I always did my own thing and kept away from all that shite. Some of us kept our heads down and got on with it but unfortunately the limelight seekers have given the Plummer the rep it has.

• Like 2