Another Plummer

What line of fell/pats, did you have and what made you go for plumbers?

I just happened to meet "Plummer" at my mates farm in Kirkby"Liverpool,he'd been coursing and collecting information for a new book,we only really killed fox with our terriers back then (1979) and he gave us 2 to test for him on fox,so it all started there really and I just found them another tool for the places we did back in the day,mainly dodgy places you couldn't dig and needed a quick bolt and gone,they were tiny and could fly round any earth in minutes,WM

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Money in terriers is always going to be a point to argue over. Iv only ever paid money for 1 dog and that was a plummer. Because I wanted to try one and I didn't know anyone that had them. But ever

Im only winding you up pal luke you did with fireman I must say you bit a lot harder on an empty hook than fireman did pmsl and there's a saying were im from,if you can't take it don't give it atb wit

This hunting life is becoming an absolute shambles,bitching over the price of a terrier,if you don't like the price look else where.My pal has just paid over a grand for a French Bulldog for his missu

Arch

A few questions for mole and fox dropper from me a newbie just starting out in dog world

36 posts been a member since 09 Another anti just sitting on the sidelines make yae boak. Pmsl.

mole if you've read the previouse post you'll see that the quote

Was made by fannbigun not me just my sausage fingers on a mobile by

Mistake didn't realise I had made a post

Anti I am not just choose not to brag about my hunting activities

Wm

Maybe im wrong but you come across as trying very hard for acceptance whereas most of us dont give a shit what the rest of the world thinks .If i had a plummer that went id sure as hell keep it quiet not try to convince the whole world via a staged pic .

• Like 1

A good long standing friend of mine has got two tidy Plummers, they're his sons and they've been great for the lads confidence. He's won a few hunt shows and they've bolted the odd fox but they are not digging dogs by any stretch of the imagination.

From what I can see they are what they are, an all round messers dog that does nothing that any cur Russell x shite couldn't do

• Like 1

A good long standing friend of mine has got two tidy Plummers, they're his sons and they've been great for the lads confidence. He's won a few hunt shows and they've bolted the odd fox but they are not digging dogs by any stretch of the imagination.

From what I can see they are what they are, an all round messers dog that does nothing that any cur Russell x shite couldn't do

cant agree with the above. ive kept both russells and plummers.for decades and to be honest. they are different dogs altogether. none of my russells noses are as sharp as my plummers. barr my cross dog who has inherited this trait. my plummers are noticably better ratters they seem to have a second sense and are generally first to find and in most cases first to catch. they are more biddable also.

my russells where better than most of my plummers to ground. but that is to be expected as they are very well bred worker to worker.

and i am not praising my plummers up just stating my experience with both breeds. on the down side my plummers suffer badly in hard weather conditions and if i could change only one thing in them it would be the poor thin coats and thin hides. it has them at a real disadvantage from the kickoff.

as a ps ive seen many a russell cur make a fool of some of the big name diehard mutts that are put on pedestools.

plummers are the same as any other breed. you need to do your homework before you take one on. or you will end up less dog per dollar

• Like 4

on the down side my plummers suffer badly in hard weather conditions and if i could change only one thing in them it would be the poor thin coats and thin hides. it has them at a real disadvantage from the kickoff.

absolutely agreed

on the down side my plummers suffer badly in hard weather conditions and if i could change only one thing in them it would be the poor thin coats and thin hides. it has them at a real disadvantage from the kickoff.

absolutely agreed

Then good working jackets should have been fixed by breeding correctly. Good coats were produced by doubling on San lines,in addition to substance,courage and nose. Certain dogs were woefully over used at one time imo.

There are good coats produced by some breeders today though...

• Like 2

Wm

Maybe im wrong but you come across as trying very hard for acceptance whereas most of us dont give a shit what the rest of the world thinks .If i had a plummer that went id sure as hell keep it quiet not try to convince the whole world via a staged pic .

Its not about acceptance but about a true representation of the breed,they are knocked from pillar to post by lads that either disliked Plummer himself or the middle class ownership of 95% of the registered ones,by holding separate shows and not really mixing well most laypeople have no idea of their capabilities or uses,most think of them as a ratter,when in fact they are all rounders, as for staged pics then be it a family photo or anything else they are all staged to a degree and it would do terrier work no favours to exhibit pics of the action,up front and personal shots when viewed coldly later on can appear brutal or cruel to the average man,WM

• Like 3

absolutely agreed

Then good working jackets should have been fixed by breeding correctly. Good coats were produced by doubling on San lines,in addition to substance,courage and nose. Certain dogs were woefully over used at one time imo.

There are good coats produced by some breeders today though...

I've never seen a bad coat on a plummer, I can only think its in other lines than the ones I've owned,WM

Been a few good little game and baying Russells about in the last century. Never seen a plummer work, hunting or out and out digging because I've never been out with one or is it a pack, when hunting

1 good one is enough, I hunted with 1 dog for 8yrs and accounted for plenty of mixed bags,like any dog you need to bond with them to get the best out of them,WM

Red bitch sounds a bold one!none of that bloodline left?

George hardie is still about these days,does a bit in Wales still,seen him last year at a few shows run by "Welsh Dragon" off here,real nice guy and great knowledge of terrier work,used to run the famous llangollen terrier and lurcher shows in aid of the fell and moorland,WM