Your Dinners In The Bin...........probably !

People should be more concerned with what they're feeding their family these days. Too many parents cant be bothered to cook their young ones a proper meal with fresh veg and meat/fish. In would rather waste a bit of food from time to time and make sure i had fresh food in the fridge at all times.

I think you may find its more a case of they can`t cook anything that does not come out of a packet with the instructions written on the side, basic cooking skills are vanishing no matter how many programs there are on telly about food, needs sticking back in the school curriculum

And what dishes would the kids learn to cook in school mate? All halal no doubt, every British dish would offend somebody, somehow :whistling:

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

its a throw away world now,when you didnt ate your dinner years ago yer ma used to say them we biaferins would be glad of that,lol..whatever happened them biaferins never hear anymore about them,.prob

All I can say is that most people must have far too much money if they can afford to buy then throw. In our house nothing is wasted or chucked. Maybe its because I'm of the 'older' generation who had

I think a lot has to do with doing the Big Shop   I remember my nana would go to the local shops every day to buy what was needed   My mother still goes to the shops every other day

Its almost becoming cheaper to eat out these days if all your worried about is filling your belly.....how much is a joint of beef for a couple of people these days 10 - 15 quid ?.....then with all the veg,spuds and trimmings your looking at 20 quid at least......you can go to a carvery for a tenner each.......and let someone else have all the arse ache of cooking/washing up.

Half tidy bit of roasting beef in aldi about 8 quid or a £3 chicken and some veg feed 4 or 5 of us guessing about 15 quid maybe less

So tonight its chicken breast with chinese soy gravy.................what happens if by tonight you fancy a nice bit of fish and chips instead ? do you suffer eating a meal you dont really fancy just because thats what you bought earlier and thats whats got to be used !......stone me unless your on the poverty line food should be enjoyment as well as fuel dont tell me we can afford sky telly and the internet but we cant dare let a chicken breast go to waste.

Bang on that gnasher. Nail on the head.

We must throw 2 meals a week away in my house. Because someone changed their mind or we got too much.

We both work full time, got decent paid jobs so why shouldn't we buy what we want and do what we want with it?

Maybe it's a generation thing. My old man goes mad. When he was a lad they got a choice of a wagon wheel or a yoghurt. And that was their weekly treat. Lol

When my eldest left for uni and a house share last year I gave her my little slow cooker I had spare. Keep her supplied with veg from the plot and she gets a chick breast or a bit of stewing steak and its all ways bubbling away making the house smell nice apparently. Better than junk food and takeaways

• Like 1

We throw some food out what kids leave etc,as wifes pot lickers either won't eat it or if they do end up like bird,lol

But I will cut mold off cheese,or bread etc it's what our mums did in the 70/80s

I've eaten month out of date cake/crisps etc it's fine,

While back I found some sausages in fridge thought better use them,so cooked them up,and as me an wife sat eating them,she said how long we had them I said oh about a week ,turned out it was nearer 2 as I had got them from butchers near where I get car moted in forest.lol

Tbh if it's not chicken or fish your not going to get that ill are you.

So tonight its chicken breast with chinese soy gravy.................what happens if by tonight you fancy a nice bit of fish and chips instead ? do you suffer eating a meal you dont really fancy just because thats what you bought earlier and thats whats got to be used !......stone me unless your on the poverty line food should be enjoyment as well as fuel dont tell me we can afford sky telly and the internet but we cant dare let a chicken breast go to waste.

We must throw 2 meals a week away in my house. Because someone changed their mind or we got too much.

We both work full time, got decent paid jobs so why shouldn't we buy what we want and do what we want with it?

Maybe it's a generation thing. My old man goes mad. When he was a lad they got a choice of a wagon wheel or a yoghurt. And that was their weekly treat. Lol

bloody wagon wheels lol. Used to live in a cafe when I was about 8 and my job was washing dishes all the time. Then every night we all ways had bacon and egg for dinner. Must been quick and easy and cheap I guess and a wagon wheel for a treat. I have never been able to stomach one since hate them but I have come back around on the bacon and egg front :)

2 kilo fresh chicken in Aldi £4.39

carrots 40p

cabbage 49p

Cauli 89p

Leeks 89p

Peas 90p

broccoli 49p

Yorkshires 49p

Enough to feed 7 for £8.94 simples, and some left over for fry-up.

I have not added potatoes as I do not pay for them :D Even if I were to add the cost of the spuds it would be another £1.60 on top. so seven fed for less than £12 and all you can eat in that.

TC

Edited by tiercel
  • Like 2

the meat is the only expense, veg costs next to nothing these days. how much is a chicken?? £6-7 leaves £8-9 quid for the rest.

£3 per person for a decent roast dinner.....nah im not having that.

If we the hunting community cant source meat there's something wrong. :thumbs:

But chickens boring what if you want a nice joint of beef or a drop of lamb ?.......... im just collecting evidence now ;)

Lamb will cost you £15+ for the joint alone :thumbs: Ye cant beat a bit of roast beef with horseradish sauce.

Unless you rear your own on grass, then it cost £20 for a kill and cut.

More lamb than even you lot could eat at one sitting lol!

in fact I am having 3 done on mMonday, so if anyone wants to swap for some beef/pork/venison etc let me know ;)

As for wasting food, what you do with your food is up to you, but i think it is morally wrong to have something killed for food, then simply waste it.

Spare veg can feed rabbits or guinea pigs, or be composted or put in the wormery and if you buy meat and don't fancy it when you get home, bung it in the oven then freeze it when it's cooked.

No sense wasting IMO but if the ovens going on anyhoo, fill the fecker up and bung the spare in the freezer!

I got a whole freezer full of meals I cooked just cos I have the oven going. They are a godssend in winter when I carn't be arsed to cook and it's cold and i need a hot dinner lol!

I always put a cake or tray of scones (posh p***y me ;)) in the bottom when doing a roast! Munchies are no problems here, ALWAYS got cake in the cupboard :D

• Like 3

subsidised meals in hospitials staff canteens are handy when were out working,about 4quid full dinner.desert.carton of milk ,only ever been pulled once,lol.were cutting trees up the back mac is the excuse lol..yellow coats work wonders

1 - Surely you've got better things to do with your money than throw it away ?

2 - Isn't it morally wrong that an animal should be killed and not used to its fullest extent ?

3 - Consider the waste not just of the food itself, but of the resources that went into producing it - money, labour, water, feed, fertilisers etc

4 - Isn't it just plain wrong that the very stuff that sustains our existence has become just another throw-away commodity ?

Some people seem proud of the fact they spend less on food than they spend on crap like internet connections or mobile phone bills.............then we all wonder why the next generation of kids are so f****d up and lazy !

• Like 1

Some people seem proud of the fact they spend less on food than they spend on crap like internet connections or mobile phone bills.............then we all wonder why the next generation of kids are so f****d up and lazy !

Have to agree with you there gnash to an extent.........although I wouldn't like to presume folks circumstances on this thread or the quality of the food they eat.....but yeh, that is a pet hate of mine, folk stuffing their faces with the cheapest, shitest food as they sit & watch the biggest flat screen TV they can fit in their living room haha........

.....I've got family guilty of that & so has my wife, it's embarrassing!