Your Dinners In The Bin...........probably !

British families waste twice as much food as other Europeans...

Vegetables are the most discarded, with households throwing away 45% of what they buy. We also waste 41% of fruit, 29% of cereals, 23% of meat and 17% of eggs.

Overall, each household throws away between 80 and 110kg of food - a lot of it completely edible ! The average family would save around £60 a month by eliminating wastage.

Several reasons are given for this huge wastage, but the easy availability of fast food has been highlighted. Consumers are also thought to be confused by the use of 'display until', 'sell by' and 'use by' dates, and retailers are criticised for being slow to remove the first two from packaging. There has also been a recent 'price war' centred on fresh vegetables, and this has been partly blamed for over-purchasing.

Perhaps not surprisingly, the least discarded item is alcohol.....

Edited by Blackbriar

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

its a throw away world now,when you didnt ate your dinner years ago yer ma used to say them we biaferins would be glad of that,lol..whatever happened them biaferins never hear anymore about them,.prob

All I can say is that most people must have far too much money if they can afford to buy then throw. In our house nothing is wasted or chucked. Maybe its because I'm of the 'older' generation who had

I think a lot has to do with doing the Big Shop   I remember my nana would go to the local shops every day to buy what was needed   My mother still goes to the shops every other day

All I can say is that most people must have far too much money if they can afford to buy then throw. In our house nothing is wasted or chucked. Maybe its because I'm of the 'older' generation who had parents that lived through WW2 and knew what hardship really was. Jeez, it only takes a little common sense to know when something has gone off, and whatever happened to having a fixed amount to spend on food each week? If you only buy what you will eat that week then how can you be throwing stuff away? Me no understand :hmm:

• Like 6

I'm a tight fecker ,,,and unless there's mould growing on it,,,it gets eaten,,,

Even if I buy mince and it starts getting to brown,,,,the dogs get it,,,,but that happens very rarely

• Like 2

f**k me we,re supposed to have moved on from the war years if we buy something we fancy at the time but dont get round to eating it does it matter its hardly a sin......or is it just one more thing to add to the guilt trip we,re all supposed to be on !

• Like 5

I think a lot has to do with doing the Big Shop

I remember my nana would go to the local shops every day to buy what was needed

My mother still goes to the shops every other day

good point I too can remember my mother would by as needed every day . There all but gone from the high street now butchers green grocer each individual little shop on every high St.

its a throw away world now,when you didnt ate your dinner years ago yer ma used to say them we biaferins would be glad of that,lol..whatever happened them biaferins never hear anymore about them,.probably all living here now,lol

• Like 7

Spot on jacknife.........I really don't get this myth perpetrated by a lot of folk, that the weekly/monthly big shop is more economical......what a load of bollocks!

Trawling around a supermarket for an hour filling your trolley to the brim with fcuking garbage that a large percentage of will get wasted anyway, fcuk that!

I shop every day, the fridge always looks sparse & there's way more dog food in the freezer than our food, but we waste fcuk all!

Spot on jacknife.........I really don't get this myth perpetrated by a lot of folk, that the weekly/monthly big shop is more economical......what a load of bollocks!

Trawling around a supermarket for an hour filling your trolley to the brim with fcuking garbage that a large percentage of will get wasted anyway, fcuk that!

I shop every day, the fridge always looks sparse & there's way more dog food in the freezer than our food, but we waste fcuk all!

Agreed mate ! The 'Big Shop' clearly ISN'T economical, as about half of it gets chucked away !

part of it is down to the quality of the stuff and the way we store it, f/all seems to keep as well, veg seems to go off in days, I think part of that is down to us having our homes so warm, gone are the days when every house had a separate larder or coldroom to store food

• Like 1

I shop every day and just buy what we are having for the evening meal. Tonight we are having chicken breast with Chinese soy gravy. I will buy a whole chicken and portion it, the two breast portions will be used tonight, the thighs and legs I will strip the meat off dogs have the bones and the meat will be for a stir fry on the weekend.

Nothing gets wasted in this house.

Edited to add: If the bread has a bit of mould on it pick it off, same with the cheese.

TC

Edited by tiercel
  • Like 3