Deer Dogs

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The litter I bred, bull/grey x coursing dog Might have been decent if this ban wasn't in place. But I wouldn't have said you NEED bull to make decent deer dogs. Getting them the quarry regular is th

There are deer dog`s & there are dog`s that take deer, the difference is in the mental attitude of the dog to get the job over quickly whether that be in the open or woodland. Most dog`s will take

There's nothing hard about catching roe if the dogs fast fit and willing to take them it's usually game over for the deer.

Posted Images

I don't know much, but taking deer with lurchers interests me, I found these for sale and this the sort of thing I would think of as a deer/all-round dog, I can see a bit of bull does a long way, but these make me looks twice.

Deer/grey x saluki/grey/collie/grey

deer%20grey%20saluki%20grey_zpsk37kwnrf.

Saluki/grey x deer/grey (can't save the picture)

http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/113302309/saluki-greyhound-deerhound-greyhound.html

The more i look at that dog the more i like it and for that money well worth a punt... ;)

LOL I was just googling sal/grey x deer/grey to see what one looked like and came across that, it's a big dog and if I was after a big lurcher would be very tempted. 12 hr round trip for me to, just wonder why it is up for sale.

• Like 1

LOL I was just googling sal/grey x deer/grey to see what one looked like and came across that, it's a big dog and if I was after a big lurcher would be very tempted. 12 hr round trip for me to, just wonder why it is up for sale.

Probably the same reason loads are up for sale now... for no good reason!

Honestly, next time i'm in the market i'm deffo going to be looking for dogs like that, at this time of year. A max of £150, on those 'preloved' an 'pets from tits' type sites or just trawling the vast lurcher pages on FB will land you, type wise, anything your after, all you gotta do is make sure its right and give it a go, what ya got ta loose... ;)

Let's face the raw facts there be lots a animals being bred and not tried then sold on a whim good quality stock don't always need few owned or named said dogs ta be ok, saluki types and mostly the deerhound types and bull types are all if not branches from similiar stock it's 215now we a long way down line from the seventies.its most likely time spent on ta animal that sees the results .atb bunnys.

One of the best up and at um types I've seen was that when he moved you could see him almost spinning the world under his feet he was pushing so hard lol...He was a bigger dog of 29" tts and his make up was 3/4 coursing greyhound and a 1/4 bull..I personally think that when you put the bull and grey blood together you get an almost psychotic dog when you put their work in front of them and you get a dog that works so hard he has little regards for his own well being.The dog im talking about caught a lot of deer in the middle of fields and in cover also where they should of got away. The dogs demise was chasing a deer and he his front leg went in between a low fork in a tree and his leg snapped, very sad and i had to pts straight away. The reason imo he was one of the top deer dogs I've seen was because he wanted them so bad and he didn't give much regards to anything else apart from making the pull, he was also physically gifted for the job, if i could of changed a couple of things about him i would of given him more wind and had him more durable as he took a good few knocks in his working career but that came from his running style.

• Like 4

My friends dad had one the best huge he was spring was his name bull grey dear cross 29" king spring....... every slip gaurenteed had cought loads by ditches fences evan falls that how moat are caght any ways this lad took for the throat all time every time we were only kids hed folow over fences the lot would go missing wed sit tight back hed come breathless ly down in the grass an cool off then lead us on to it ght . . Not a fan of addrenaline pumped meat

• Like 1

I say it depends on the environment , i.e. if you've young kids and the dog is to live in then there'd be to many unknowns, I've tried it pre kids and won't be repeating it. I'm certain you could have plenty of success, and if you can show the dog plenty and have the patience to remedy any bad habits or annoyances and the stomach to know when the dogs no good then it could work. I enjoy having a pup from young and moulding it to my environment/kids etc. win or lose it's your efforts that determine the dog you have as well as the breeding.

Exactly what I was worried about, an adult dog is an unknown quantity, I seriously looked at rescuing one when I bought mine but came to conclusion it wasn't worth it, I went to visit a few 9 month to 2 year old dogs and I couldn't take any of them. I haven't got the time to put things right. I got an 8 week old up in the end.

• Like 1

Probably the same reason loads are up for sale now... for no good reason!

Honestly, next time i'm in the market i'm deffo going to be looking for dogs like that, at this time of year. A max of £150, on those 'preloved' an 'pets from tits' type sites or just trawling the vast lurcher pages on FB will land you, type wise, anything your after, all you gotta do is make sure its right and give it a go, what ya got ta loose... ;)

Very true there is a lot of shit out there but in between it all there are a few gems to be had if look hard enough. I bought a bitch off a man as i knew the breeding well he hadnt done much with her that you could tell. When chatting i managed to buy her in a deal. Good strong summer gwtting a bond and this season She earnt me 10 times what i paid for her already. Very loyal honest bitch that will seriously punch bigger then her weight.

This is my main game and when it comes to the rut or a male that fights hard using his antlers, every heavily influenced greyhound type took to barking that I've seen, they killed otherwise and took all other game.

I hunt forests, sometimes see them in open paddocks if I'm lucky.

• Like 2

I tested my whole team single handedly on multiple bucks and stags in the rut this year and it halved my team, not surprisingly 3 that are very closely related all did the job, they're old line roodogs, two which have a whisker of bully and ridgeback. My roodogs don't have any deerhound blood in them traced back over 30 years, and no greyhounds or greyhound blooded dogs have been put in the line. The only thing put in to freshen it up was a pure wolfhound and pure borzoi.

• Like 1

and I take it they were run of mill kc bred borzoi and wolfhound? What ever works for you pal, I'm sure I seen pics on here before of your mutts, seeing as its a deer thread and your more qualified than most, and others guys cant comment over here these days, get some pics up, I could listen to tales of big deer allday lol but they do make me an my bunny dogs feel stupid a bit lol I don't mind tho

The borzois were imported from Russia and the wolfhounds were bred from show stuff but the pups were tested and culled until suitable stock was there. Although I'm not going to put up photos on a public forum

• Like 1

My friends dad had one the best huge he was spring was his name bull grey dear cross 29" king spring....... every slip gaurenteed had cought loads by ditches fences evan falls that how moat are caght any ways this lad took for the throat all time every time we were only kids hed folow over fences the lot would go missing wed sit tight back hed come breathless ly down in the grass an cool off then lead us on to it ght . . Not a fan of addrenaline pumped meat

Dont talk pish lad

• Like 5